Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 June 2000
Schon provides information on a subject that many practitioners are aware of but that few know how to put into words; intuition, what it is, and its regular use in daily professional practice. He gives voice to the practical aspects of intuitive practice and reflection in action that professionals from all genres utilize.
on 23 August 1998
In this book, Schon gives us a language for understanding professional practice. Because the sum of what a professional knows is greater than the sum of what he is aware he knows -- let alone the totality of what he can articulate -- there is a hidden world of practitioner competence. I found Schon to be a little repetitive and his examples difficult to fully conceptualize. However, his discussion of the Technical Rationality model and his vignettes of five professions provide a framework which may be applied to the practice of any profession. I believe that readers of this book can enhance their self-awareness as professionals and artists.
on 19 May 2004
This is the first book on reflexive practice that I have read and it seemed to cover the topic comprehensivly. I had heard of Donald Schon as the Father of Reflection-in-action. Unfortunately it was not a particularly easy read; although some effort was made to include anecdotes, the text could be more fluent. I was really hoping for something that painted a warm, detailed and informative picture rather than a more text book type of approach.
on 25 July 2008
There are a few neat ideas here. However, any practitioner will immediately recognise the central theme; the iterative nature of problem definition and solution design and then implementation - 'reflection in action'. I consider 300+ pages largely dedicated to this iterative process as superfluous, indulgent even. It did not articulate anything 'new' nor anything that I have not articulated myself within my brief tenure as practitioner. The repetition within the cases descriptions is tedious. Everything is explained in infinitessimal nuance and several perspectives (indulgent). The book would be worthwhile at 80-100 pages and I would say that parts of the conclusion is worthwhile. Maybe this book is really for educators or philosophers rather than practitionsers (you decide).
The expected benefit to this reader is that the authors articulation may provoke thought or insight into ones own mechanisms or behaviour. This book rarely did that.
I would have liked to read more detail models for analysis into the self-reinforcing Model I behaviour that was very briefly treated and was my main motivation for reading.
Read Theory in Practice by Argyris and Schon instead of this book. A lot of the concepts are very similar to this previous book.
MBAs could head directly to Overcoming Organizational Defences by Argyris.
on 20 July 2013
I am so pleased about this book, excellent conditions although it was used. No problem at all. Love reading it and great purchase. Very happy to have bought it.
on 19 March 2014
Gave a great understanding if why critical reflection is important for those in social service, care and childcare practice. recommended.
on 27 September 2013
The item arrived promptly & in good condition. It's been very helpful and I am completely satisfied with it, so thank you!
on 9 June 2016
Not sure if i managed it in the end but a great guide to reflecting on one's own practice.
on 14 December 2009
I bought this book to learn how to improve my reflection-in-action (in other words, become a more effective listener and communicator) but I'm not sure I was well advised in my choice. I'm struggling to finish this one, frankly. A page turner it is not. Initially written in 1979, the style nd content is a bit outdated, and the introduction and first few chapters are off-topic for my goal, being more directed towards the study of the topic (dare I say epistemology? LOL!) than how to learn the techniques and put them to use. Schoen expounds at length on the historical division between academics and practitioners, and I can see why. I needed something of more practical help. Maybe if I persist, the latter chapters will be of more help. But since I now bought 'What got you here won't get you there', which is much more readable and full of practical advice aimed at a similar outcome, maybe I'll defer that effort...
on 18 August 2015
not what I was expecting but a good book