5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday gift
Recipient seemed pleased with the book, plenty of information about the new hobby and was looking forward to trying out allt he different coffees from around the world.
Published 3 months ago by Morag

3.0 out of 5 stars UScentric
It looks at the subject purely from the USA, which was disappointing as a UK reader, however some interesting content
Published 16 months ago by Mr. K. Hucker

3.0 out of 5 stars UScentric, 18 Jun 2013
Mr. K. Hucker (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How it Transformed Our World (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday gift, 27 Jun 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars A tough read but you get there in the end, 25 April 2014
I bought this to get an understanding of the history of coffee, where it came from, how it evolved etc. and also to understand more about coffee itself. I found the beginning and the end very interesting but the middle was a dead zone. It talks at length about coffee advertising wars in the 19th and 20th centuries, the coffee tycoons, trade wars and subsidies. A bit on this would have been welcome but it's way too much detail and too American focused. He mainly ignores Europe apart from little asides here and there. The tone is quite dry and academic but he seems to lighten up at the end when he talks about the Fair Trade movement and Starbucks - this is where his passion is. Saying that I did learn a lot about coffee and feel the wiser now, and a lot of satisfaction when I finally finished!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Modern Bible of Coffee History..., 22 Jun 2012
My first coffee book.. And it is an astonishing read... You would not believe the level of detail and effort put on this single 480 page book.. A must for coffee lovers.. As a barista in a major coffee chain here in the UK I must say that the level of knowledge I have acquired from this single book surpasses by light years the one provided to us by the company. Is it worth the £12.59? YES! will be reading this again and again for years to come...

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better written, 30 Jan 2012
C. Collins (London) - See all my reviews
This book assumes you don't know what the word guano means and you are incapable of using a dictionary. So one example among the many bits of the book that are maybe pitched at too low a reading level for the US audience - skip the long rambling bit in the middle about the US coffee advertising in the 30s and 40s, nothing of interest there. Its flaw is its geocentric bias but someone obviously mentioned this to him at some point as after the huge swathes of guff about Folgers or something there'll be a morsel about Germany or Peru something squashed on the end of the chapter. You'd be surprised Nestle even existed, that tiny little European coffee supplier. Otherwise, it was an ok read, it's most definitely not challenging, bits of it are interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating study of coffee from a global perspective, but ..., 3 Sep 2014
G. WILMOT "GW2009" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Fascinating study of coffee from a global perspective, but with focus on the USA. I look forward to more such studies on the subject.

3.0 out of 5 stars An economic history of coffee, 6 Jun 2012
D. King - See all my reviews
I was after a book which would give a bit of guidance to my coffee drinking. With this in mind, I bought the wrong book. Uncommon Grounds goes into great detail on the economics behind the coffee trade since the 17th Century. It also describes the careers and fortunes of trailblazing coffee entrepreneurs and the big coffee companies. This bored me. I wanted to know the difference between the types of bean, roasts, etc, and I was left wanting. To end on a positive, if an economic history of coffee is what you're after then this seems very detailed (hence the 3 stars).

Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How it Transformed Our World