5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the drawing board
I use a lot of training techniques as part of my role. this book starts off very simply and in fact I nearly gave up because it all seemed very obvious. I kept going back to it to consolidate and develop my understanding and found it to be a very powerful tool for focussing and developing ideas.
I am going to use it on some of my clients to see if it makes a...
Published on 1 Aug 2009 by Mrs. K. O'RAFFERTY

3.0 out of 5 stars The author should have followed his own advice
Published on 1 Sep 2008 by John

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars The author should have followed his own advice, 1 Sep 2008
This would have been a handy volume with some good ideas had it been halved in size. Unfortunately the author has made it hard for the reader by surrounding his points with too much verbiage. I looked forward to reading this book, but found wading through the text, which at times seems aimed at 10 year olds, very off-putting. More examples and fewer words would have resulted in a more useful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the drawing board, 1 Aug 2009
Mrs. K. O'RAFFERTY (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Back of the Napkin: Solving Problems and Selling Ideas with Pictures (Hardcover)
I am going to use it on some of my clients to see if it makes a difference to my own delivery and support. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful business skills book I've read in a long time, 5 Oct 2009
I was given this book by a friend and looking at it didn't think I'd learn much from it as I consider myself quite a visual thinker already (a black pen person as Dan would call me).

However, the simple concepts and frameworks in the book really improved my skills with noticable results straight away.

I'm making all of my team read the book now!

Buy it, read it, use it. (wish I could have drawn this for you!)

4.0 out of 5 stars As Einstein said: simple... but not too simple, 13 Nov 2011
Maarten de Vries (Barcelona) - See all my reviews
I was already a fan of visual thinking (a so-called black pen person), but I still wondered what a book on this topic would look like. Some other reviewers complained that it was too simplistic, but what were they expecting from a book called "On the Back of the Napkin?" On the contrary, I found that it boiled down the complex topics of solving business problems into a couple of useful "tools", such as:

a) How to break down a problem into 6 different aspects, which is actually what our brains do anyway: what/who, how much (how many), where, when, how and, last of all, why;
b) How you can draw a different picture for each aspect, namely a portrait, chart, map, timeline, flowchart and multivariable plot;
c) How you can draw a picture in different ways: Simple vs Elaborate, Qualitative vs quantitative, Vision vs execution, Individual vs compare and Deltas vs as-is situation (SQVID)

I still have to apply these tools in practice, and it may not actually be as easy as it seems to change my current drawing habits, but I do think it will lead me to draw a wider variety of pictures than I was drawing before. I also discovered the website [...], which is worth taking a look at.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Introduction to Illustrating Problems and Solutions, 1 Aug 2008
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
If you don't have any idea of how pictures can help you see more dimensions of problems and explain your solutions better, this is a good book to get you started. The book's main drawback is that it doesn't discuss how to integrate stories with pictures to make for more compelling communications. You'll have to learn to do that by reading books about storytelling to supplement this one.

I consider myself to be not very good at creating pictures for either solving problems or communicating solutions. I was disappointed that the book wasn't aimed more at helping people like me who understand the principles but have trouble applying those concepts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with fantastic ideas, easy to read and follow, 25 Feb 2014
A. Glover (UK) - See all my reviews
I thought this book was easy to read and follow. The examples are interesting and the ideas and concepts can be used in many areas. I've been able to apply the core concepts in my role (software testing) with positive outcomes. Recently I misplaced the book and lost it... I have re-ordered a new one to refresh my memory as it's that good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not get the Kindle version of this, 16 Nov 2013
The image scans are terrible quality and you will not be able to read them properly on any device. I immediately tried to get a refund.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, clever and most helpful to help others catching and memorize, 19 Dec 2012
Excellent, simple, clever and most helpful to help others catching and memorize.
To be also recommended to teachers, students.... and so many more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its ok but..., 6 Aug 2010
I kind of liked this book at the start, but found it hard to finish. I just got the impression that it was jumping on the bandwagon of books that take common sense ideas and try to make whole book out of them.

In other words, the concepts covered are enough for maybe a feature length article in a magazine. A whole book is stretching it.

Still, it makes you think in new ways, and that's always a good thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just graphs, 25 Aug 2009
This book is not just about creating graphs or using graphs to simplify the way you communicate the ideas, it's defining a complete methodology to analyze projects and problems using graphs to document that in the process.
So it's not just graphs it's more than that and there are some very good model to apply. It's also very interesting what kind of graph is better to talk about "what", "when", "where", "how", "why"...
Personally I think that the methodology is quite good, but for me is not easy to remember, so you have to come back to the book frequently.

I would not say this a methodology to apply for any project or workshop, but I really think it can complement other better know approaches in some cases.

I found the book interesting and easy to read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›