5.0 out of 5 stars A BOOK FOR ALL SEASONS, 28 Oct 2008
B. G. Strand "strandbg" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vivaldi (Master Musician) (Paperback)
A must for the Vivaldi enthusiast.The life and works of a true 'Master Muscian'.Worth the price for the calendar and catalogue appendices alone.Perhaps a little short on photos,the only downside

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful life, and beautiful music, 17 Feb 2013
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I love Vivaldi's music, and I always enjoy hearing any of his compositions; instrumental, vocal, doesn't matter; they're all beautiful and somehow all imbued with a bit of Vivaldi himself. He is an interesting character, and I hunted out this book especially to read about his life, as well as his music. There seem to be a whole series of these books, and I may well see if I can track down some more to read - Monteverdi and Dufay definitely appeal as topics of interest.

This is a wonderful book; the first chapters take us on a journey through Vivaldi's life; in particular, I found Vivaldi's association with the Ospedale della Pieta to be of special interest. I knew that Vivaldi had been associated particularly with this institution, but the details seem to be a little harder to get hold of. I know the circumstances of the girls' lives at the Ospedale were generally sorrowful, but how wonderful to have had the opportunity to work with Vivaldi, and play his compositions!

From there, chapters devoted to Vivaldi's musical style, his instrumental music, and his vocal music complete the book. A wonderful read, and one which is accessible to those familiar with musical notations and forms, and also to a more general reader with a ready interest.

ARRAY(0xb46d93a8)

Vivaldi (Master Musician)
Vivaldi (Master Musician) by Michael Talbot (Paperback - 18 Oct 1984)
Used & New from: 0.01