Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 September 2012
If you were lucky enough to be a teenager when MTV started, this book will take you back down memory lane, fill in the history you never knew, and keep you laughing all along the way. If you weren't around or aware in the early 1980's, this book will take you on a journey of a channel that changed cable and television as we know it now. The oral history-style layout of the book allows for conflicting stories to unfold side by side and is immensely entertaining. Highly recommended.
on 12 June 2013
I loved this, if (like me) you hark back to them days of the music video being on a channel, all the mates coming round for all nighters hoping your fav' band would be on next, or hearing bands you would never normally hear of then this book is a great read. I really miss what MTV "meant" before it was all about Pimpin rides, Jackass n Precosious 16 yr olds !! I rememebr the music, being wowed by videos Sledge Hammer, Aha, Money for nothing - but though we laugh now these were great times for music. This book reads like you are in a bar with the main players and they are telling you a story over a few bevvies !! all the ups/downs and main players and amazing to think that many companies/bands DIDN'T see the value in a music video ...or channel to show them - thank god for the kids n the visionaries. If you like a big of innovative music history which did change my life (and many of my mates!) then go for it. Easy to pick up n put down I cant find enought time to read it ...great book.
on 22 September 2015
This is the Wolf of Wall Street of music books, which doubles as a history of MTV and a glimpse into the excess of the Eighties. From Michael Jackson to Madonna, and hip-hop to hair metal, no stone is left unturned. Amusing throughout, I Want My MTV never takes its subject too seriously, and the chapter on Billy Squier's "Rock Me Tonite" is worth the price of admission on its own. A book that you'll look forward to re-reading even before you've finished. (I'm not, btw, related to, or friends with, the authors. I just really enjoyed it!)
on 6 September 2013
This oral history is a terrific read , the format makes it very quick and easy to get through . But with so many voices I found myself constantly flipping back to the cast of characters listed at the front of the book .( A very useful tool )
Even if you didn't care or watch MTV much this history , which stops at 1992, is a very enjoyable business/culture story
on 16 December 2012
WOW! Reading this book really opened my eyes towards the music industry. I hadn't known a time without music videos - so I learnt a lot! It's such a shame that MTV ceased to be a music channel.
on 11 February 2013
Excellent read, would recommend this to all. Also follow @tannenbaumr on Twitter, he's hilariously funny but watch out for the smelly feet!
on 22 October 2015
Brilliant book.Laugh out loud and shocking at the same time.
on 28 October 2011
Okay: the book's title is misguiding. If you want to read about the story of MTV, you have Serge Denisoff's "Inside MTV" (1988) and Jack Bank's great "Monopoly Television. MTV's Quest to Control the Music" (1996). This book is whole different thing, but again such as misguiding title should be criticized. Done.

What is it then? Well, a fun (sometimes hilarious) oral history of MTV. The authors interviewed (rather randomly) artists, directors and producers who have co-created some of MTV's golden era classic music videos. I actually do academic research on music videos and I have to admit that though I won't see me using it professionally, it did gave me a human and humorous perspective on the subject. It was fun to read and I would give it 3 stars if it had a title that really described its content.
on 16 October 2011
I just read an advance copy of I WANT MY MTV and it was terrible and a waste of money!
These writers no nothing about the beginnings of MTV or how it really happened and is
full of silly quotes from people who know nothing and weren't even around back then.
Don't waste your money!