5.0 out of 5 stars A great book on a subject that should be more widely known!
Published on 27 Mar. 2009 by KS Noall

3.0 out of 5 stars Good practical info, if rather preachy.
Published on 2 Sept. 2011 by Liz

3.0 out of 5 stars Good practical info, if rather preachy., 2 Sept. 2011
Having visited parts of the world where 'natural infant hygiene' (basically learning to interpret you baby's cues that they need to urinate/defaecate) is the norm, I was aware that there were alternatives to constant nappy use before my daughter was born, but wasn't sure how to go about applying the practice at home in the UK. It seemed like things could get very messy and I felt that looking after a young baby would be hard enough without the extra hassle. However, when I saw how obvious her cues really were, I decided it was worth a try, and bought this book for some practical tips on how to get started.

It does indeed contain good practical information, along with an interesting review of the myths surrounding the Western approach to potty training. Unfortunately I found the tone somewhat preachy, and even a little bit condescending. We can't all have wonderful natural home births in idyllic log cabins and spend the next few weeks just lying in bed cuddling our new babies, as the author claims rather smugly to have done, as much as we might wish to.

Hence I have rated this book 3 stars, as it is informative in a biased sort of way, and helpful if you're already keen to try the method, but I feel the self-congratulatory tone could make anyone reading who is new to the idea feel like it's a bit beyond their reach.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book on a subject that should be more widely known!, 27 Mar. 2009
KS Noall (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene (Paperback)
This book provided me with a comprehensive introduction to raising a child without the need to use nappies/diapers for years and years, and therefore reaping tremendous benefits for the baby, parents and environment. The information provided is so practical and logical. I found it surprisingly easy and rewarding to apply what I had learned from reading the book to my own hectic urban situation.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'd have given this more but I haven't seen any practical ways to implement these ideas and have read better books on the subjec, 14 Jun. 2015
I agree with the other three star review, I'd have given this more but I haven't seen any practical ways to implement these ideas and have read better books on the subject. There was no "part time" approach so I read a book that suggested starting with catching poops but worrying about pees until the baby was a bit older and you were ready and I liked that as I believe it's something I could work around my daily routine but in this book the goal seems to be getting a child dry as quickly as possible rather than finding a method that works for you and moving a child too fast is just as detrimental as leaving them in nappies too long as far as I'm concerned. Personally I intend to start this journey when my son can sit unaided and then take it from there. I'm glad I got this book for another perspective and it DOES have some insights but I gave it three stars because apart from theory I don't feel it had much to offer to the subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and interesting, 28 April 2013
Zoe N. Wood "zobo" (dorset) - See all my reviews
I really liked this book as it opened ny eyes to a whole new way of toileting- I do think EC is a lot harder to practice than she makes out in todays world though, we no longer live in the kind of community where everyone can help out and it is hard to practice when distracted by toddlers, food, phones etc but I have incorporated many of the principles into my daily life. It is worth a read even if you can not follow natural infant hygeine word for word.

4.0 out of 5 stars helpful, 1 April 2014
This is a book that gives a new -although so old!- approach to leaving diapers behind. I read it and begun the whole procedure with my 19 m daughter, following our own pace, without pressure. A diaper free and happy baby!

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have bought this long time ago, 13 April 2009
It is a great book that inspire me to change and improve the EC with our daughter. I should have bought this when she was younger. I got finally got the book now when she is nine months old. I thought it would be enough information by just reading about EC on the web pages but I lack some trouble shooting guidance which is well described in the book Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene. It is a pleasure reading it and I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars however it gave me a good insight and inspiration about handling baby's essential needs, 17 Feb. 2015
I can not agree with all points in this book, however it gave me a good insight and inspiration about handling baby's essential needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural, humble and gentle., 11 April 2015
Have got started with the practicalities of NIH. A very good and kindly book. Natural, humble and gentle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Mar. 2015
Amazing book, one of its kind

Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene