4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice little book
Published on 11 Feb 2007 by Rolnikov

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying too hard
I'm Hindu and I live outside India so I thought this would be a good way to get my kids more familiar with our religion.

Published on 23 Nov 2011 by Neeraj Sharma

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice little book, 11 Feb 2007
Rolnikov (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Little Book of Hindu Deities: From the Goddess of Wealth to the Sacred Cow (Paperback)
This is a lovely little book, offering cute and funky but respectful interpretations of the Hindu pantheon, in a art style quite similar to that of Samurai Jack. In the accompanying descriptions the raunchier aspects of the myths aren't ignored, but are couched in terms unlikely to attract the notice of children. The edition I have bought - by the time you read this there may well have been others, given how good a book this is - has a flaw, in that the binding is not strong enough to withstand the interest of a young child, and it's falling apart after only a couple of weeks. I'm probably going to have to apply a heavy duty stapler to it soon. Also, these bright, attractive pictures would benefit enormously from glossy paper, to really let them shine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for children and adults, 5 July 2009
L. Hogan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I bought this book on a recent trip to Bali. I was visiting lots of temples and needed something to help me keep all those Hindu gods straight in my head. As a non-Hindu I found it to be an affectionate and respectful introduction to a religion I really knew very little about before visiting a Hindu country. The illustrations are cute and humourous and the accounts of the god's activities just a little tongue in cheek. My two year old daughter loves it and claims it as her elephant book. I would agree with the previous reviewer that the binding is weak and that glossy pages would really make the images pop - hence four stars instead of 5! Its a great book to get someone who is travelling to India or another Hindu country for the first time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying too hard, 23 Nov 2011

From my adult perspective, the good thing about this book is that it is pretty comprehensive - I learned a lot! It even covers aspects that are not very common, like philosophy, Kalki or the various aspects of Siva. Very logical structure and ordering as well. On the other hand it tries to also be fun and frivolous and interesting - something that I found clashes with the rest of the tone of the book.

From the perspective of the kids, the very lovely illustrations and the little jokes make it look like it is fun for them but the heavy information leaves them zoned out and not able to understand the concepts. My kids are 7 and 11 and voracious readers, but they do not reach out for this book. I read it for myself but it's a task to read it with them.

I think this book is trying to be everything at once, and that is where it fails and alienates both kids and adults. I'd love to see more work from Mr. Patel - he clearly knows his subject and his profession as an animator gives him the tools to express himself with, but he needs to define his target audience better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hindu Deities, 21 Feb 2011
R. Yadav (London) - See all my reviews
I originally purchased this book for my son (aged 5), but I found it more interesting than he did. The illustrations are beautiful and I can see why kids may be drawn to it solely from a visual sense. The descriptions are however are a little more complicated despite the authors best attempts to keep it simple. This is due to the complex nature and convoluted stories pertaining to each character so I think the author was up against it to try and appeal to a very young audience. This book is still a great visual tool for parents interested in introducing their children to Hinduism.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 27 Sep 2013
I'm 20 years old and i like animation so i'm glad i got this book. A little book that gives basics information about the gods & goddess and briefly touches mythology. Its simple and helpful with nice animations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hindu Gods, 24 Feb 2014
My 8 year daughter loves this book. She learned a lot about each of the Gods. She also learned which ones are in charge of which seasons. My daughter finds it fascinating

5.0 out of 5 stars lovey, 23 Sep 2013
its a really lovely little book, full of beautiful images, i can see why its so popular, i just want to buy more for the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, 14 July 2013
Awesome, cute pics and charming descriptions. Great for a beginner like my boyfriend and someone more experienced like my mum!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 10 Feb 2013
Gouri Kubair "GK" (UK) - See all my reviews
Great book to introduce the dieters to your little one - my 5 year old loves it and so i gifted it to my nieces and nephew who also love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Child appropriate introduction to Hindu deities, 25 Aug 2012
I was looking for text to help me introduce Hindu deities to my five year old.
When I first showed it to her, she was immediately drawn to the colorful illustrations. Once I read a few pages, she wanted to read by herself. I commend the author on consciously making an effort to use simple language, making it easy for children to read.
Overall a great buy.