5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Fourth
Published on 16 Mar 2003 by taking a rest

3.0 out of 5 stars the young wan
ive not read it yet but i have read his trilogy which was great full of humour sadness what u expect from the author
Published 14 months ago by james southern

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Fourth, 16 Mar 2003
taking a rest - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Young WAN (Hardcover)
"The Young Wan", is the 4th book published by Brendan O'Carroll that chronicles the life, friends and family of Agnes Brown, although it is now the first when placed in chronological order. The original three books formed a remarkable trilogy that could easily have stood on its own. The author took a risk by expanding the series to 4 but it was a gamble well chosen and readers are brilliantly rewarded. The remarkable woman who we met in the original series now has her story told and even that of her mother and a small bit of her grandparents. The result is a complete picture of a remarkable woman and the family she raised.
The book for me was he darkest of the four but that did not prevent it from at times causing the most pleasurable discomfort from laughter after it brought tears from the words of a devoted son, and sorrow from the brutality, stupidity and pure meanness that only humans practice. If you think you have read of all the cruelty a parent can inflict on a child read Agnes's story. If you think there is a finite depth that a parent can sink to in abuse of their own, read this story, for Dante never created a level so low. That these parents I refer to would seek shelter in an Apartheid state after committing what can only be termed mass murder, is an appropriate locale for those who judged their own child so cruelly.
This book and the four part series it is a portion of is some of the best reading I have ever done, no time I have spent with a book has been more satisfactorily used. The brutal parts of this tale should in no sense put you off from this book and the three that follow, for the series is about the triumph of the human will no matter what it faced, no matter how familiar the face may have been that inflicted such pain. It is a story of a woman that literally handed her dream to a sibling, a woman who never thought of quitting much less did.
This is a remarkable collection by a gifted man who loved his mother enough to tell her story.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Young Wan, Brendan O'Carroll, 9 May 2011
This review is from: The Young WAN (Paperback)
Oh, Brendan O'Carroll. You gave your readers some good old belly laughs and some real heart wrenching moments when you previously wrote about Agnes Browne and her family.

Now, with The Young Wan, we get a chance to see how Agnes herself grew up and the journey she took before becoming the Mammy; how she became best friends with Marion Delaney and how she met her Redser; and all the other adventures she had along the way. Sometimes laugh out loud funny, and other times tearfully sad, this is a book I couldn't wait to read.

We see how Agnes became the strong woman she was in this book; how she coped with the passing of her beloved father; how she brought up and looked after her sister; and how she became her monther's 'mother'.

I throroughly enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Wonderful! Did not want it to end., 12 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Young Wan (Kindle Edition)
Brendan - thank you for this touching story and for making me love Mrs Agnes Browne just that little bit more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for the Agnes Brown fan!, 9 Jan 2012
G. zammit - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Young Wan (Kindle Edition)
I was so excited to read this book! It was the first book I downloaded for my Kindle and I loved it!

Journey along with Agnes as the story casts you back to how her parents fell in love and married. How Agnes started life at school, work and spent her Friday evenings at dances. All the time coupled with her best friend Marion.

I laughed out loud at times and was close to tears at others and without spoiling it there are some lovely twists.

I only hope that I can get the other books soon for my Kindle!

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of laughs., 31 Oct 2011
Maria Stephenson (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Young WAN (Paperback)
Having read Brendan O'Carroll's Agnes Browne trilogy, which I thouroughly enjoyed, I couldn't wait to start The young Wan, I wasn't disappointed, this was every bit as enjoyable & as funny as the others, I couldn't put it down, I would highly recommend these books, just dont read them in public as you'll get some very strange looks from others when you laugh out loud. Well done Brendan O'carroll.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 3 Nov 2012
M. J. Stallan "mazzy" (norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Young Wan (Kindle Edition)
If I was expecting a 'take' on the tv show I was very mistaken. This was a book written with depth and surprises. A mixture of laughter and tears, but at the same time with a depth that was touching. The ending was poignant and unexpected. Look forward to reading the rest of the collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Young Wan Brendan O'Carroll, 30 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Young Wan (Kindle Edition)
very very funny chronicle of the young, to be, Mrs Brown. The witty lines made me cry laughing...the escapades her & Winnie got up to were hillarious, to say the least.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brendan O'carroll scores again, 27 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Young WAN (Paperback)
A really good read with a lot of laughs and sadness within. I couldn't put it down and read into the early hours until I had finished it. Brendan O'Caroll is a great comedian and an excellent writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The young Wan, 2 Mar 2014
M. S. Jackson "3365" (Lancashire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Young Wan (Kindle Edition)
This is a must read book and very funny I read this book and couldn't put it down.I will now ready Brendan`s other 3 books in order. Well done Brendan.loved reading Agnes`early years

5.0 out of 5 stars The Young Wan, 24 May 2012
This review is from: The Young Wan (Kindle Edition)
fantastic read. I laughed from start to finish. I was a bit sceptical at first but that was completely unfounded. It tells the story of Mrs Brown when she was growing up and ends as she marries her Mr Brown. Brendan O'Carroll is such a huge talent and this book is well worth the read. I cant wait to read the next in the series.

The Young WAN
The Young WAN by Brendan O'Carroll (Paperback - 1 Jan 2004)
7.96