Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 June 1999
I have had a Minolta 400si SLR for a year. It is an entry-level SLR camera. up until I read Tom and Michele's wonderful book, I never took good photographs.
When I read their book, I finally understood f-stops and metering. I now understand why the first 50 rolls I shot all had underexposed skin tone. The first role I shot after I read the book cover to cover gave me more "keepers" than any roll before it.
There is no better book for the SLR novice to understand the functioning of his camera than this one. And do not get taken in when the rocket scientists of Photography belittle your particular brand of camera -- apply the Grimms' advice and you will find dramatic improvement in the performance of your camera (well it is actually the photographer that has improved :-))
The book has a very good chapter on composition. However I wish it had more chapters on the "Art" of photography. Things like how to find interesting subjects, how to shoot subjects, etc.
This book is excellent for understanding how an SLR works, with some good advice on composition thrown in.
Readers will find this book to be very compatible with "Photography for Dummies", which deals more with how to take photographs.
on 25 October 2001
A great, simple introduction for budding photographers who are barely sure which part of the camera is the business end. Rather than offer step-by-step technical knowledge, this is more of an overview of every aspect of photography from what exposure actually means through to shutter speeds. The last few chapters deal with simple techniques to help proto-David Baileys get off to a good start. However, anyone with a level of photography knowledge above very basic will hanker for something more comprehensive.
on 29 February 2000
If you are a beginner to Photography, this a must read. I recommend that you read it before you buy a camera. The book explains clearly the fundamental principles of Photography. The chapters on exposure, film, Lenses, Flash and Filters are extensive and well written. Go through those chapters and you will have a good techincal knowledge of Photography. And if you were conptemplating of buying the "Dummy" book, my opinion is dont. You are much better of having this one on your desk.
on 30 September 1998
This book simply is the most well-written and approachable all-in-one guide to photography that I've ever read. It goes from from beginning (picking a camera) to end (basic developing). The book is written in a very no-nonsense down-to-earth style that is very approachable. While it's certainly longer and more wordy than books like 'Photography for Dummies' and 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Photography' there is no fluff. My only very minor quibbles with the book are these: (1) no specific equipment recommendations are made, though brief mention is made of camera brands, (2) no comparison of APS versus 35mm quality is made and (3) while there are quite a few pictures in the book, I wanted more examples (some in color would've been nice).
on 15 September 1998
I was given this book as a present, and it has remained part of my library. But, for those looking for a book on actual photography instruction, this may not be the book for you. The book contains a lot of basic information about a lot of different topics and it explains things like the difference between 100 and 400 speed film very clearly. Most of the sections may not have been updated since they were originally written (including the pictures!) but new sections have been added as technology has advanced (including digital cameras).
If you just want to know generally what exists and the basics of how it works, this is still a good book. But if you are looking for a book that will teach you about the photography while helping you produce more creative and higher quality work , the book comes up short.
on 1 July 1999
I'm new to photography, and this book was loaned to me by a friend. It's GREAT! Now that I'm done with the book, I know all the things I need to make better pictures. I'll probably use this book as a reference now in case I forget something, but if you're a beginner in photography like me, or someone really good, I think you'll find this book to be an invaluable asset.
on 7 August 1998
I've had a Nikon FG for 2 years now. I never imagined all the things that could be done outside of the program mode. This book has taught me ALOT! I'm sure the more expensive books are great, but for the price, I was astounded by the in depth details of the features most SLR cameras have. If you have a limited amount of money, and you are a beginner, this is a must read.
on 9 January 2011
I bought this book to go with my new slr as i was new to photography. A very well written book that i would recommend to anyone.