Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 April 2010
As a Chartered Psychologist (Milton Keynes) specialising in CBT, I can strongly recommend this book. I recommend it to all clients who experience this very common but all too infrequently discussed type of OCD. All my clients who have read it, tell me that it has eased their fear and enabled them to move forward with the problem.

This excellent book concerns the infrequently discussed but very common type of OCD where people experience 'bad thoughts'. For example, a mother who has obsessions about hurting her baby, or a man with who feels very guilty because he has intrusive thoughts that he might purposely run someone over in his car or sexually abuse someone.

It is important to realise that these are very common types of OCD and also very common thoughts in people who don't have OCD (its just that people without OCD don't dwell on them and don't feel guilty about them).

The book is excellently written and clients frequently say that they read it in a day. If you are distressed by this type of OCD then this is the best book to address the issue.
on 31 January 2002
This book is very well written. It is clear, supportive, and allows OCD sufferers such as myself
to better understand the nature of our problems and ways to overcome them. Mostly, I think,
the book is a great lesson on the human condition and the strains that, so many times, we put ourselves in inexplicably trying to go beyond what is physically and psychologically possible
to ascertain. I was waiting for a book that concerned itself with this particular kind of OCD
symptoms and I can say that finally I found it and that it provided me with very good lessons and support.
0Comment|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2012
This book is helping me get a much better grip on Purely Obsessional OCD , the condition from which I suffer, really well written, simple yet medically relevant and inspiring and reassuring to those who suffer from this debilitating condition, assuring us that we are not alone. I highly recommend it.
on 11 June 2010
This is a powerful and insightful book, which as someone who has seen but not experienced first-hand, the misery that OCD can inflict, allowed me a brilliant opportunity to understand. This is paramount to appreciating and supporting those with OCD. Importantly, 'Imp of the Mind' focuses on the type of OCD which causes sufferers to experience 'bad thoughts' rather than the stereotypical, perhaps more widely known perception that OCD is all about repetitive actions.

I am grateful to this book for its explanations and insights, and really feel it should be compulsory reading.
on 20 June 2014
This book will speak to people who have advanced OCD, sporadic OCD or are generally fearful of dark thoughts clouding their judgement while depressed. It will not sugar coat it and will tell you if you actually have OCD or some other problem. It is not a psychiatrist or counselor so I wouldn't substitute it for a professional but if you know you have OCD this is the best book out there at the moment to help you not feel so scared and alone and it will pull you out of the hole
on 25 April 2014
This book has helped me and my family start to understand what I am going through. More than that it has eased my anxiety about my situation. I am grateful and hopeful that I can now go on to receive the appropriate treatment knowing I am on the right path.
on 8 December 2013
Having read this book from cover to cover and having had OCD for many years I have found this book to be the perfect companion to bring the OCD mind back to being a rational one. Everything written in this book is something that I can associate with and understand and the methods for controlling the OCD really do work. I would say that anyone with this condition should buy this book,read it and keep it as their reference bible to go back to through the bad times because it will really help.
on 25 November 2012
This is a great read for those who suffer from the pure "o " form of OCD.

Case stories are very helpful and I would recommend this book be read along with "Brain Lock - Free Yourself From Obsessive Compulsive Behaviour ".

Both these books I would highly recommend.
on 13 March 2015
my therapist recommended this as I suffer badly with OCD and especially with intrusive thoughts, it made me see that I'm not alone and that things can improve with CBT therapy, it is also a subject which can be embarrasing to talk about and is not understood much and it really should be as I've since discovered there are alot of people who suffer terribly like myself with the bad thought side of OCD and it was great to discover that Hey! I'm not crazy after all!.
on 21 April 2014
This book will be an informative read for people in the 'discovery' and learning stages of purely obsessional OCD (though, it has to be said, the 'science' of it all and the accepted theories can be found for free online).
If you have good insight into your obsessive thoughts, then it won't be anything new. I purchased the book as a reminder of the techniques, to use as a sort of 'buster' session following a stressful time and a re-emergence of symptoms (after a long period of being free from it). I used purely behavioural techniques before to become symptom free (this was a few years ago). Exposure therapy didn't work for me then, however behavioural therapy did. There is very little in the way of guidance or advice with the latter approach though, it centres largely around exposure therapy, which I appreciate is an extremely valuable approach, however I think it can be too tall an order for a person to do on their own (without the encouragement and guidance from a therapist).
There is also a sizeable focus on examining your thoughts ('testing' yourself) to make sure your thoughts are indeed 'just' as a result of OCD, and not actually due to a more serious mental illness (where your thoughts may be 'real' and dangerous). It struck me that someone suffering acutely (as is the audience this book is aimed at?) with purely obsessional OCD would be very frightened by the way this is approached in the book.