5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended..
I frequently recommend this book to any friends of mine who are suffering from anxiety or depression. Its written in a highly readable way, and as another reviewer said you get the feeling that the author of this book really cares and wants to help and would never judge and whats more completely knows his subject.
I came across this book and CBT (Cognitive...
Published on 31 Aug 2004 by A E Thomas

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard Going
Feeling Good Handbook (Plume) This is not a book, but a course. You have to keep stopping reading and doing written exercises. The forms for the exercises are in the book but you need to photocopy them as many have to be repeated several times.
The author keeps saying "tell me" when he means "write down", thus pretending in a patronising way, that he will react to...
Published on 17 Jun 2009 by D. M. Cainer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended.., 31 Aug 2004
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
I came across this book and CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) after my Mother died and I experienced panic attacks and anxiety. For me it literally turned the way I was feeling around, the written exercises really do work. I wont say it got me back to normal because it did something else - it made me change the way I was thinking and left me confident that the ability to cope and change was all within me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cognitive Therapy Book for Mood Disorders, 5 April 2007
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
"The Feeling Good Handbook" is has the perfect cognitive therapy approach to helping people control depressive and anxious thoughts through a cognitive-behavioural approach to controlling mental distortions and the emotions generated by our mental filters.

When you feel overwhelmed by depression or anxiety, the worst feeling is that you are no longer in control of your thoughts - that your thoughts are running wild. If you have felt like that then Dr. Burns can help you regain control with a practical strategy. I like this book and also recommend "Mind Over Mood," which reinforces many ideas covered by Dr. Burns. If you have to choose between the two books, I recommend Dr. Burns because he allows you to take inventory of your thoughts with practical exercises.

It's the book that helped me when I was depressed. I also read a great novel recently called "Nexus: A Neo Novel." It offers self help advice on depression interwoven within the authentic journey of Logan Andrews - a journalist suffering from panic attacks and depression. He attempted suicide and through his journey to a spiritual retreat he tries to recover his sense of hope - many psychological and spiritual insights are woven into the story. I think it's based on real life experiences.

The good news is that depression and anxiety can be managed, and we have books out there to help and inspire us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, I recommend it to anyone, 14 Nov 2006
trishthedish (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
I went through cognitive therapy in late eighties when a series of miscarriages tipped me over into depression, not experienced so badly since being bullied at school, and the aftermath. I felt a "failure" all over again. I was lucky enough to get one to one therapy through Oxford University Dept of Psychology, but this book plus the Feeling Good therapy guide was required reading, and exercises set from it each week. For an intelligent person not able to get hands on therapy, the books alone would go a long way to help. But don't skip bits, take it very seriously, its a professional book, although seemingly written in a friendly, self-help formatt. I was told to re-read it frequently, which I do, to keep depression at bay. Like alcoholism, it can reoccur at intervals, but I always get out of it with this book. Also great at dealing with life's problems for anyone not seriously depressed, but needing to understand themselves, and cope with other people and everyday life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This man is my hero, 4 Nov 2003
K. burke "bluepianissimo" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
Well, that does sound a little sad doesn't it? But I read this book when I was in the pits of depression last year (2002) and there's something uplifting about David Burns' humble self-disclosure of his own vulnerabilities as a young man and how he overcame them. He comes across as a slightly sciencey, nerdy, kind, intelligent and human person, who would never judge you for having your own fears and foibles. And what's more he's a damn good psychologist - this stuff works!
This is a real work book - if you go through it, practise the exercises, and build up a file of your "homework" you'll really feel like you're getting somewhere. Say goodbye to feeling hopeless, helpless, doom-ridden - whether you've got depression/anxiety, guilt, irritability, shyness, frustration, perfectionism or you just feel out of sorts - you name it - whatever's bugging you, he shows you how to cope better. And what's more he says you don't have to try to change into a different person - it's OK to be you, warts and all. Good luck with what's bothering you and read the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm amazed!, 11 Nov 2003
Kate (West Midlands, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
I'm not one for writing reviews! However this book has been enormous help to me. I've been suffering for 18 months from depression and have been receiving some form of therapy weekly. Yet somehow spending a week reading and working through the exercises in this book made such a huge impact on me! Of course its an ongoing process and I will continue to use the book. Its also the first book I've come across where I have been inspired to put pen to paper and make sense of all those negative thoughts in my head. Thanks Dr Burns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing!, 3 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
I hate self help books, but this is completely different. It changed my life, recognising the thought processes at the start of the book was like someone switching on a light.

I hate those self help books which analyse why you do this that or the other, but this was totally different, focused, direct, and to the point. Doesn't dwell on why you are depressed etc, but tackles it with written exercises.

Cannot recommend it enough, it is a FANTASTIC, LIFE CHANGING book

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 8 Nov 2004
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
This book is written in an extremely friendly and informative manner. The exercises are very practical and relatively easy to follow. It is a self-help book which actually gives you concrete things that you can do which can change your life and the way that you feel. One thing that I will say though, is that this book contains more of the author's own philosophical views than most other cognitive therapy authors seem to allow themselves to express. Some very healthy but also very personal 'attitudes' are clearly visible in the text but if you share the beliefs or are convinced by them then this is not a problem. I can see that it is a wonderful, life changing book but at the same time it was not the one for me because I fall into the category of people who benefit most from 1-1 therapy rather than just 'bibliotherapy'. I was guided to this decision by the book itself! The best thing about this book, actually, is that it is very honest and based properly on science and research (which D.Burns constantly refers to) and which, believe it or not, has been proved to work for many people. You really do feel in the hands of an expert and the fact that it is an honest expert who tells you when you have a better chance from seeking help elsewhere makes him all the more trustworthy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally helpful, 11 Mar 2007
Rex B. (Cardiff UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
Dr. Burns offers an excellent cognitive therapy approach to overcoming depression and anxiety. The book allows you take an inventory of your cognitive distortions that creative a lot of your feelings of hopelessness, sadness and dejection. By taking an inventory of your thoughts, you can learn to stop them and Dr. Burns show you how. This is one of the best books to help a person feel better. I also suggest that you get a copy of the novel "Nexus" by Deborah Morrison and Arvind Singh. It gives insights into depression from a psychological and spiritual perspective from the journey of the main character, Logan Andrews.

4.0 out of 5 stars recommended by therapist, 17 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
My Psychotherapist recommended this as a must read. Although a little American, it is a very easy read with lots of really helpful exercises. I am only recently diagnosed and this book has helped a lot with my levels of acceptance and understanding of my condition. It now pick it up and put it down as i need to. Should be a tool in every suffers box!

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling good handbook, 8 Feb 2010
Paul O. Reilly "Diceyreilly" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
Well worth all the positive reviews it had before I purchased.I think that if this book is getting alot of positive reviews from readers who are perhaps not in the most positive disposition it must be good. I am still dipping into this book 2 years later whenever I need to focus and give myself a lift. I have read a number of books on this general area and this comes out tops. I have also purchased for friends I thought would benefit and have reccommended to numerous others.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Feeling Good Handbook
The Feeling Good Handbook by David D Burns (Paperback - 28 Oct 1999)