on 27 May 2005
This book contains clear and logical dietary advice for IBD patients. I am a Crohn's patient and the book explained to me subjects such as the difference between soluble and insoluble fibre and why mutlivitamin supplementation can be helpful in IBD. The main message of the book is to increase the amount Omega-3 fatty acid in the diet in order to promote the production of anti-inflammatory cell signalling chemicals over inflammatory ones, and the author is realistic about the quantity of Omega-3 required to affect this result. Whilst the author's style is quite repititious the advice in the book is very practical. It is easily the best book on IBD nutrition I have read.
on 11 November 2006
I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 1998 and have since had surgery to remove my sigmoid-colon. However, this book has proved to me that diet plays a huge role in the illness and, as a result of reading the book from cover to cover, I now understand my digestive system a lot more. The book covers some fairly complex material but is written in a way that makes it easy to follow.

I would recommend this book to anyone, whether they have a bad gut or not. I think if everyone were to read and follow it (don't worry, it's not a "rabbit food" diet) we'd all be much healthier. I have been following it since my surgery and feel great as a result!
on 1 June 2009
I bought this book for my brother, who had just been rushed into hospital with a bad attack of ulcerative colitis. During his 5 week stay in hospital, he had nothing much to do, so decided to read the book. Under normal circumstances, he would have thrown the book to one side saying "it's probably a load of rubbish". However, being in hospital made him a captive audience!

He decided to put the suggestions into practise. He made note of what he'd eaten and what reaction he had. He said the reason he implemented changes to his diet, was because the reasoning was logical. It appeared that every time he deviated from the recommendations, he took a retrograde step.

It's difficult to judge the full extent of any improvement, because he came out of hospital with 4 different kinds of tablets. The main immuno suppressants were changed from intravenous to oral, which slightly impeded his progress. He firmly believes the findings are true and regards the book as his 'bible'. Hospital food is notoriously bad, but somehow he managed to order steamed fish etc. and the staff ended up bringing him different food!! He even asked his daughter to bring in sardines - for the Omega 3. A sceptic turned advocate, over night!

I sent the book straight to him, so I haven't yet read it. I'm due to see him soon, so will read it myself.
on 8 June 2011
This book makes so much sense to me. I have very recently been diagnosed with Crohns disease and it seemed absolutely clear to me that my latest relapse leading to the diagnosis coincided with a short break from a fairly strict high protein diet I had been following for weight loss. Having read this book I can see that the food I had been eating while on the diet was nearly all food which is considered ok in the guidance offered in this book. While following that diet properly I had felt better than I had done for years and my spell "off the wagon" for just a couple of days included pretty much all the food which this book advocates avoiding! The advice and explanations are clear and logical, and while some of the advice, such as peeling apples, seems quite surprising, it is even more surprising that, for me anyway, it works! Unfortunately I am having to bring my condition under control through drugs at the moment, but have shown the book to my consultant, and made it clear that in the long term I want to manage it though diet rather than drugs. I have to be honest and say that he does not feel that diet plays any part, good or bad, in the onset or management of Crohns disease, but he is willing to work with me on it. Whatever your view this book is well worth a read in my opinion.
on 12 May 2002
This is an excellent book that offers sound advice backed up with expert knowledge on the subject of IBD. As a Crohn's sufferer I've turned to this book to help control flare ups and get my life back together. Doctors and Crohn's experts say diet doesn't matter. They should read this and their views will change. The only criticism with the book is the poor referencing of the journal papers and books that provide much of the academic rigour to the text.
If you suffer from bowel problems you have to read this. And if you don't, read it anyway.
on 1 February 2010
This book is chocablock full of information and very clear. Makes for an easy read
on 7 September 2012
I bought this book for my 85 year old mother-in-law. She has suffered from Crohn's disease for most of her adult life. Following a recent 'flare up' of the debilitating condition, she went back to her doctor, who sent her back to hospital. She was seen by several specialists, including a nutritionist and a dietitianist.
On release from hospital she was given several diet sheets and other information leaflets. I read them. Two of the diet sheets contradicted each other.
I searched the web and came across this book. I bought it for her. It is easy to follow and has much advice and background information on her disease. She finds it interesting to read and now knows more about her condition than she knew before. She follows the recipes exactly.
The advice in the book allows her to experiment with her diet without using ingredients which would cause another flare up.
Result? She has had no recurrence of the problem since having the book, apart from one time when my sister-in-law took her to a restaurant for lunch!
on 26 April 2012
Having been diagnosed with what they think is Crohn's (having ruled out Colitis) since Decemeber, I bought various books on the topic, hoping to find a good diet plan.
Having read them, I was left confused by all the conflicting advice. I then came across this book and decided to put the simple diet guidelines to the test.
I have been flare-up free since my original one in December and find the diet tips really easy to follow.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who is newly diagnosed, or those who have been struggling with it for years. Definitely worth a go, even if your Doctor says it won't help.
on 19 January 2002
A comprehensive but easy to read book on inflammatory bowel diseases. Full of helpful information and advice in all areas of IBD management and living successfully with IBD. As a Crohn's Disease sufferer, this book has been extremely useful.
on 13 March 2009
I have suffered with Crohn's for 14 years and I bought this book five years ago. Since I read it and followed the advice of the author, I haven't suffered a single episode after having regular flare-ups since first diagnosed. Now while I believe there are probably various factors in this improvement in my health, I am convinced that some of the small changes suggested by Scala have made a profound difference - mainly cutting out red meat and introducing fish oils. The book is not just a dry, boring list of what to eat/not to eat, however. The writer's understanding of IBD and the impact it has on your life and self-esteem really comes across, and it is a very uplifting and inspiring read at times when life with IBD looks bleak. One of the few books that has really changed my life - I cannot recommend it highly enough.