5.0 out of 5 stars RIVETING READING, GAVE ME COLD HANDS AND DRY MOUTH!
Published on 12 Oct 1997

3.0 out of 5 stars A very personal account
Personally, I found this book a disappointing read and for me it lacked structure. There was a lot of repetition; long, tedious and not entirely pertinent descriptions of political campaigns and political personalities; and endlessly reiterated claims that Terry was a good, kind, sincere person, despite her chaotic lifestyle.

McGovern insists that his daughter...
Published 8 months ago by Bronwen Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars RIVETING READING, GAVE ME COLD HANDS AND DRY MOUTH!, 12 Oct 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Terry: My Daughter's Life-And-Death Struggle with Alcoholism (Paperback)
Seldom have I read a book about a real person that held me inmy chair for such a long time. I had heard about Terry Mcgovern butnever knew the real story. This first hand account of Terry Mcgovern's life is tough to read. George Mcgovern's account of his daughters life had the right mixture of pathos and humor and made me think about alcoholism in a totally different light. GREAT!

3.0 out of 5 stars A very personal account, 27 Oct 2013

McGovern insists that his daughter had a happy childhood, yet includes in the book several excerpts from her journals, in which she blames her emotional volatility on being `shamed' and `smashed down' as a child. In one particular excerpt she admits to feelings of overwhelming jealousy towards her sister, Mary, and writes, `if I had a gun, I would kill Mary, her husband, her baby, my mother.' Nowhere does McGovern examine why his daughter's own version of her childhood differs from his account. Yet despite clearly harbouring considerable hostility towards her parents, Teresa McGovern remained financially and emotionally dependent upon them her entire life, demanding that they fund her next stint in rehab or down payment for the next apartment after she repeatedly fell off the wagon or was evicted from her rented accommodation. One is tempted to conclude that her alcoholism and drug abuse are one massive attempt to gain their attention, that Teresa simply failed to emancipate herself from parents who were far more forceful personalities than herself. Significantly, when she managed to establish herself in a stable relationship in which she herself became a parent, she remained sober for 8 years but recommenced her descent into alcoholism once this foundered.

A very personal account and a poignant reminder that alcoholism affects all social classes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving account of alcoholism, 28 Feb 2008
I am a recovering alcoholic and i found this a brilliant book. The author/father of Terry, writes beautifully and honestly. His insight into the illness is totally accurate. Terry's struggle is agonising to read but clearly outlines what a powerful disease this is. I only wish it had had a happy ending, but i'm sure it was cathartic for George to get his feelings down on paper. This is a "family illness" but only the alcoholic can achieve sobriety, there is nothing a family can do.It hurt to read George's thoughts of where he felt he had gone wrong. This is a perfect read for any family member of an alcoholic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Painful, 10 Jun 1999
By A Customer
It is really emotionally hard to read George McGovern's anguished account. This guy must have still been in deep torment when he penned it. Page after page you see him struggle for answers...he must spend many a day reviewing his own actions to see if there was anything hee could have done different. Lots of parents write books about their deceased children, but this one is just so honest that I could not put it down...literally. I picked it up after dinner and finished it at 4:30 the next morning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Painful, 10 Jun 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly familiar grounds, 7 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I read this book when it first came out. At the time I was suffering from depression and alcoholism. I wept as I read the pages because I knew that I too could end up like Terry. I felt for Terry and her family all through out the book. I also realized how my family must have felt and how they might feel if I too fell victim to myself and alcohol. You have to give credit to the courageouls George McGovern to share his families sacred secrets and tradgedy. This is a must have book for anyone who is an alcoholic, heavy drinker or depressed or anyone who knows or lives with an alcoholic or heavy drinker.

5.0 out of 5 stars George McGovern is a Courageous Man, 15 Jun 1998
By A Customer
First of all, my hat off to George McGovern for making this sad, personal tragedy public. Most families who had a son or daughter who spiriled as far out of control as Terry did would try to bury�@the memory deep in guilt or shame. McGovern chooses to show us by example that, no matter how much money or expertise you throw at finding a solution to a "killer problem,"�@in some cases an answer always remains elusive, a mystery. The man tried nearly everything humanly possible to help save his child - nothing worked, all the highest paid experts failed. This story is every parent's nightmare. If I were an educator of high authority, I would make this book mandatory reading for every high school student in the United States to clearly show what kind of drug they are messing with in alcohol - it's not a pretty picture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 21 Jun 2014
Nice read, too bad the family didn't realize they were enabling the alcoholic behavior, a tragic story of a broken woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 17 Jun 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book and I felt I wanted to know Terry more but unfortunately she passed young. Her dad sounds a wonderful man and he clearly loved his daughter. I loved the book :)

4.0 out of 5 stars A hard hitting book !, 14 Feb 2014
I really did enjoy this book - very easy to read, very harrowing, and the dirty truth about alcoholism that cannot be fought. I skipped over a lot of politics though.

Terry: My Daughter's Life-And-Death Struggle with Alcoholism
Terry: My Daughter's Life-And-Death Struggle with Alcoholism by George S. McGovern (Paperback - 1 Aug 1997)
8.81