5.0 out of 5 stars Very positive results following this book.
I have read Dr. McDougalls books and I have been helped immeasurably. My Blood Pressure is down, my cholestral is down, my weight is down, my energy is up, my sinuses are no longer swollen, my Fibro Myalgia pain is down by 90%. I have nothing but thanks for Dr. McDougall for his books, this lifestyle has given me a new lease on life.
Published on 5 Jun 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Useful recipes but the breast cancer section is infuriating.
After reading the first five pages I selected in this book I ripped out the chapter about breast cancer and I drew large Xs through the other narrative pages. As a breast cancer survivor (5 years after quadrectomy and radiation - Dartmouth/Mary Hitchcock Medical Center) I feel qualified to comment that McDougall's words are negative, discouraging, and, in my opinion,...
Published on 12 July 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Very positive results following this book., 5 Jun 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saving book for women!, 5 Jun 1999
By A Customer
If you are watching all of your friends begin medication for hypertension, diabetes, heart disease or sicken and/or die from the above or cancer check out the McDougall plan. He follows in the footsteps of Nathan Pritiken and is a peer of Dr. Dean Ornish. All of them have watched their very low fat, complex carbohydrate diet change lives.
Look around you. Most people over 45 are taking medication for high blood pressure, heart disease or stomach problems. Most of us are really overweight and still gaining. What is the problem? one of the problems is the standard american diet. Dr. McDougall shows us how to eat. Its a simple plan. Eat all you want of: vegetables whole grains beans and fruits. No added oils allowed and no meat or dairy. It is a starch based diet but only complex carbohydrates. Read why scientific evidence leads us to this diet. If you want to live a long healthy life at least do the things you CAN control. REad this book and eat well!
There are lots of diets out there making the popular rounds but they lack scientific evidence. They sell books but they don't keep you healthy!
At least, if nothing else, read the introduction to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "keeper" of a book. Information you will always need!, 5 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Dr. McDougall has written a book that women of all ages will depend on for information and guidelines on how to eat better and care for their bodies as they grow from girlhood to old age. The information he provides is detailed, thorough, provocative yet easy to read. I was especially appreciative of the chapter detailing precocious puberty, a problem my daughter has recently suffered through. How upset I was to learn the SAD (standard American diet) I have always fed her, may have contributed to her early maturation and consequent problems. We have since altered our eating habits to a plant-based diet and my whole family feels WONDERFUL! My daughter has clearer skin, no congestion and is less moody. This is the third month in 5 years that I have NOT suffered from PMS, gastrointestinal problems and skin eruptions! My husband feels better and LOVES the new foods we eat. THIS from a meat and potatoes kinda-guy! He is even losing weight! I love this book and will use it over and over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't say enough good things about the book., 5 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Since changing my eating habits to the McDougall way of eating a couple of months ago, my asthma symptoms have drastically diminished, my psoriasis is all but totally gone, and my blood pressure is coming down. All of this and I have lost 30 pounds and lots of inches. I have so much energy! I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to make lasting changes in their lifestyle in order to live a healthier life.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't recommend this book highly enough, 5 Jun 1999
By A Customer
McDougall's program is based on exhaustive scientific research, supplemented by plain common sense -- and it works! I went on this program eight years ago and lost over 40 pounds, with my cholesterol level plummeting to 112. I've felt great ever since, enjoyed the food, and never been hungry. This book will change your life if you're willing to take it seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Startling information on how our foods affect our health., 27 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I never thought my food choices had much to do with my health, since I've always been slim. Dr. McDougall supplies an impressive amount of information to prove how wrong my thinking was. I have been following his program for five months now, and the difference in my weight, cheerfulness, energy, and cellulite is truly amazing. The recipes will help you learn to love the good taste of vegatables, fruits, grains, and beans as opposed to the standard American diet of meat, dairy, and sugary treats. I'd always suspected that my hysterectomy (at only 32 years old) for uterine fibroids and craniotomy (last year at age 34) for a meningioma brain tumor (hormone related) were due to my poor eating habits, and Dr. McDougall confirmed my suspicions. Our regular doctors don't tell us how important diet and exercise are to our health. They treat our symptoms. Dr. McDougall's program will help you prevent the symptoms. Every woman needs to read this book! Get ready for a whole new life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guidance, 4 Jun 1999
By A Customer
John McDougall provides women with a wealth of information on important health issues. These issues have plagued women for years for which doctors would prefer to not explain alternative health measures. Dr. McDougall's information is 100% effective and scientifically proven. I am very grateful to finally be armed with the facts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book every woman should read, 4 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I loved it. I thought there was alot of research put into the book and alot of crucial information is there that people should be aware of. It is unfortunate that fad diets put a bad name on a lifestyle that does not fit into the "fad" category and a lifestyle which is so necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Anyone Committed to Being Healthy for Life, 5 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This book devoted to women's health is another in a long line of informative, articulate, and fact based books the McDougalls have published from their years of experience in good nutrition and health. Substantiated by scientific fact, and endorsed by health experts such as Dr. Ornish, and the late Dr. Atwood, the McDougalls further their committment to educate the world of the benefits of a low-fat vegan diet that puts an end to heart disease, stroke, arthritis, irritable bowel syndrom, obesity and MANY other common ailments. If you are also looking for a way to be truly healthy, lose weight, and take control of your health without fad dieting - this is the way to go! Since following the McDougall program my family has enjoyed good health, weight loss, and found a lifestyle that is easily maintainable for the rest of our lives. Thank-you Dr. McDougall!

5.0 out of 5 stars Common sense in a world of confusion, 6 Jun 1999
By A Customer
In a market thoroughly oversaturated with diet books and with a populace increasingly in need of simple advice that makes sense and works, Dr. McDougall and his works are a godsend. Direct, non condescending, practical, easy to follow and logical, his books and his diet espouse a way of life that leads to enhanced fitness, health and quality of life. I thoroughly recommend his work, whether you need to lose weight, are pregnant and want the best nutrition, or hope to avoid disease.

The Mcdougall Program for Women: What Every Woman Needs to Know to be Healthy for Life
Used & New from: 12.00