on 22 June 2000
I was very disappointed with this. Sure the recipes are all dairy free- but I was expecting "cheese" recipes to help me make things. Instead, the recipe for Pizza calls for "dairy-free mozarella". Well, yeah, I could have figured that one out for myself, but I can't get HOLD of dairy free mozarella in the north od Scotland.
I am better off with Joanne Stepaniak's "The UnCheese Cookbook" which is GREAT! She tells how to make the dairy free cheeses needed for "366 Simply Delicious..."
It is a good book and some of the recipes sound lovely, but it really put me off that I needed another cookbook to make some of the ingredients first!
on 27 October 1998
It's hard to find to a good non-dairy cookbook. I'm not a vegitarian, I just feel a lot better, and look a lot thinner, when I'm off the dairy. The recipies in this book are all vegan (no animal products of any kind). I haven't tried all of the recipies, but the ones I have, have been tasty, easy to prepare, and for the most part the indgredents are easy to find. Especially yummy is the Baked Spinach with Rasins. The book even includes a desert section, I personally tend to avoid these, not only for caloric reasons, but also because many of them call for margarine (made many from hydrogenated oils), and my nutritionist has convinced me that hydrogenated oils are on the same health level as crack. I would highly recomend this book, good for beginners thru experts. I find myself "spicing up" some of the recipes, but the the basic recipes are great.
on 30 June 1999
This was the first dairy-free cookbook I bought when I found out I was allergic to milk proteins. So far, every recipe (over 20) that I've made from this cookbook has been a poor comparison to its dairy equivalent. My own dairy-free creations were better and indistinguishable from their dairy equivalent.