4.0 out of 5 stars Very good idea, but too expensive
Published on 15 Aug 2001 by moriz5

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not very usable
Published on 12 Feb 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good idea, but too expensive, 15 Aug 2001
This review is from: Scheisse: The Real German You Were Never Taught in School (Paperback)
Eventhough I am a German native speaker I bought this book, to see what they teach you as "slang" in GB/USA/CAN... OK I have to admit, that the book has some usefull terms in, but at least I wouldn't say, that you would need this book to survive! I can't recommend this book to a "simple" tourist, who just wants to order some meals or wants to know when the next train leaves... But I recommend this book to everybody, who wants to live in Germany/Austria/Switzerland. I also can recommend you this book, if you want to watch any movies in German, or if you have a German chatpartner! And of course: Shock your German teacher with some nice words, he never knew of! Another thing about this book is, that at least the Germans don't cuss very often in public, and if they cuss then they don't use the words you are taught by this book...

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not very usable, 12 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This book has some pretty explicit phrases in it, which were fun to read! My German friends were quite shocked by the content of it though, and I can't say I've used it much. It's certainly colloquial but mostly shock-value stuff and isn't the kind of thing you'd use in everyday speech: though I'm quite used to hearing and using swear-words in English, vulgarity just isn't done with the same frequency in D/A/CH. You'd do well to listen to Germans speaking and find out what's acceptable before you go trying it out in social situations. In my experience they mostly use English profanities anyway ..!

4.0 out of 5 stars Zum Lesen mit'm Duden, 25 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This book provides some useful words and expressions that you certainly won't learn in American high schools or colleges. It is probably the best of its kind available for German (the Wicked series books are filled with ridiculous made-up sayings that no native speaker really uses). That said, it really doesn't compare with the Merde books in French, of which this is the German equivalent. For instance, the sentences given as examples are not witty and they are also loosely translated into English, which might give the right "feel" but is not the best for someone trying to learn the intricacies of their usage. Also, the German doesn't get as vulgar as the French (whether this is because the German language is more civilized or this book less complete I hesitate to answer). One understandable problem is that there are tons of different dialects and regional differences in German so that a general unified version of German slang is sure to lack some substance. Consider also the great wealth of Viennese slang (Wienerisch, eh kloar!) or the different Swiss expressions which are of necessity left out. Over all this is a pretty decent book for those who want to learn some "low German" or just try out some choice words on their German teacher!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, but a possible trouble-maker..., 21 April 1998
By A Customer
I like this book, but as in my experience with MERDE!, one can fall into this trap of thinking that everyone thinks this way, thus using the phrases and getting in trouble by doing so. ONe must be careful in using these phrases depending on one's peer group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Das Buch ist wunderbar!/This book is wonderful!, 3 Aug 1998
By A Customer
I have been in german class for 2 years, and I never learned this. Scheisse! is a comprehensive look into the curses, slangs, body parts, and insults(as well as normal, usefull stuff). I think that it is awesome!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It was cool!, 18 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This book has many german phrases that you need to know to survive. (If you are a gangster or just have to know everything.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Profanity in German, 17 Jan 2008
A lot of people try to avoid learning swear words in other languages. I don't understand why. These words are part of the language, and you shouldn't avoid them because they make you feel bad. Barry Farber and A.G. Hawke say in their books that you shoud avoid learning profanity in other languages. I say you should as long as you avoid SAYING them. Just KNOW them. I discuss this in my book.

Brandon Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference for German as it is really spoken..., 5 April 1999
By A Customer
Although the perception of this book may be that it will give the student the chance to curse effectively in German, I feel that the book's value lies elsewhere. Sure, all the vulgarities can be found here, but the book provides (more importantly, I feel) a wealth of everyday colloquialisms, slang, and familiar turns of speech unavailable (or avoided) in the classroom. This book is an excellent source for those striving for near-native fluency. Zweifellos ein ausgezeichnetes Beispiel umgangsprachlicher Redensarte!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 5 May 2001
By A Customer
I read this book (using german i have learned, i havent taken high school yet) and it really helped with some slang german, I wouldnt want to go to Germany without at least a little slang under my belt. Overall this is a very useful book.

1.0 out of 5 stars dispicable, 13 April 2000
By A Customer
Quite frankly, this has to be one of the most disturbing books I have ever read. It gives one the impression that the Germans are a very foul - mouthed people, which I am sure is not at all true. I expected simply to be taught a little colloquial German, instead I was exposed to copious amounts of vulgar profanity. This book is a distraction to honest students of German and should never have been published.

Scheisse: The Real German You Were Never Taught in School
Scheisse: The Real German You Were Never Taught in School by Gertrude Besserwisser (Paperback - July 1994)