on 15 February 2001
I suppose not everyone overeats for the same reason so this book will work better for some than for others. For me, it certainly did. When Roth talks about her feelings of inadequacy, what drives her to eat compulsively and her realtionship with her mother, she could be talking about me...in fact she is talking about me. I bought this book out of sheer desperation as I really don't like self help books, especially Amercian self help books as they always tend to state the obvious in horrible boxed-in tips. Roth's book is a pleasant excpetion. Sure, she lists tips and abounds in advice on how to work on yourself and your eating habits but the book also has another function: you are not alone, you are not a horrible monster, others have lived and are living through the same struggles as you. Roth's book also gives you hope. Hope that you will manage one day and hope that even if you don't you'll be able to love yourself anyway. Read it if you have even the tiniest doubt that your relationship with food isn't really what it should be.
on 13 June 1999
I stumbled across this book while looking for something on art. Feeling this was a "message", I bought it. A true gift, this book is. I took two weeks to devour every word, using each chapter as a replacement for dessert at the end of the day. I have now found myself nearly devoid of compulsive thoughts toward food, a much happier person with self-control and renewed self-worth, and best of all...my undies are too large! I heartily recommend this book as a source of entertainment, with the subliminal gift of a healthier and happier outlook toward eating, food, and compulsive behavior of ANY kind. Thanks, Geneen!
on 11 January 1998
Geneen Roth hit's the nail on the head. If you are caught in the diet/binge cycle be patient and follow her advise. Good eating habits don't happen instantly, but working over time, you will notice a different and more healthy attitude towards food, eating habits and your body. I have read the book twice and each time, I learn more about what I can do to take care of myself. I am much happier with my eating habits and my weight maintenance is much easier.
on 27 July 1999
I read the first print of this book 12 years ago and it changed my life forever!! I have truly broken free from the hold that food, weight phobias, dieting, anorexia and bulimia had on me for over 15 years. I have been free for 12 years now and am forever grateful to Geneen for her bravery to dare to eat only when she was hungry and whatever she really wanted. This book is a must read for women who suffer hatred for themselves and their bodies. Geneen helped me learn to trust myself and therefore love myself.
on 3 February 2001
This was the first really helpful book I read on the subject. When I first read it, it gave me hope; until then, I felt I was never going to stop eating compulsively. The book helped me realise many of the things that made me overeat and find ways of stopping. Some of her tips are invaluable. And they work if you set your mind on making them work. After reading the book, my overeating improved a great deal. The book that really hit home, however, was Marilyn Miglore's "The Humger Within". It explained the deep roots of the problem and how to eradicate them. "When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies" by Hirschmann and Munter was the other book which provided the revelation. However, I find that Roth touches on some topics no other authors do and she does it in a very effective way. I also enjoyed her newer book "When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair".
on 27 July 1999
This books is a wonderful resource for anyone who feels out of control with food, whether for binging, starvation, or just for overindulgences. After reading the book, each chapter/topic can be revisited as needed to replace that aspect of food and eating in its proper perspective. I've been reading this book for years. Gratitude is offered to Ms. Roth for her generous insight and wisdom. Highly recommended.
on 20 May 2010
This book is not the easiest to read, but it speaks to me and examples the author gives are as if I gave them to her to use. It is very revealing and very useful to realise how many issues one has with the compulsive eating. It opened my eyes wider and made me think. I made notes while reading the book, as there are lots of points, which are worth remembering and re-reading again and again if you have a problem with binging and compulsive eating. I am going to use exercise and examples in the book for a long time and I really hope it will speed up my recovery from this demon, which is binging and overeating. I am tired of going round in circles. I would recommend this book to anyone with these issues. The author talks about her own experiences and they are the same as mine.
on 10 February 2001
I opened this book with a great deal of enthusiasm afer reading the rave reveiws about it, but after ploughing through chapter after chapter, I got progressively more frustrated. Chapter one presented a very sensible golden rule: Eat when you feel hungry. Great. I know that. I know I don't. It went on to tell me "don't be afraid of that feeling". I'm not afraid. I just don't do it. And repeatedly "don't feel guilty about eating what you enjoy". Well, I don't. I'm not plagued with guilt , but I know what I eat is bad for me. This book repeatedly makes assumptions about what the reader is feeling, and assertions about what the reader should do, "eat what you really want", without addressing the key issues for me and many non-obese compulsive eaters: eating for stress, and other emotional factors, then getting hooked on sugar. This is one more disappointing charade.
on 2 December 1998
This book provides sound information for ending the dieting roller-coaster and learning to be nice to yourself!
on 21 January 1999
This book was recommended to me by both my best friend and by a professional. Geneen Roth shares and summarizes the experience of compulsive eating with a depth anf compassion that takes the shame out of overeating. If you want to get out of the silence and solitude this book is the first (and maybe second, third, and fourth) book to help you do so.