Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 June 1999
When I saw that this book was a "companion" to the "Breaking Free...", I said 'yeah, right...clever ruse to make more money'. OK, I was wrong. This book reaches inside, grabs ahold, and drags untouched feelings to the surface, kicking and screaming the whole way. This is a MUST READ for anyone who is serious about the topic of compulsive eating. AND THIS BOOK IS NOT JUST FOR FAT PEOPLE! Anyone who is concerned with better health and self-control, or who just might have been "spoken to" by the mere notion or plain curiousity, needs to devour this book. It is life changing material, yes it is!
on 10 March 1999
Thanks, Geneen. Your book is fantastic. I'm 21 years old and the last five years I've been lost. Now, after reading your book, life is different. I know me better and I love me. THANK YOU. ( I'm Spanish so excuse my writing, sorry)
on 6 January 2002
I only got this book yesterday but have not been able to put it down. There is lots of work to do so you need a bout of flu like me so you can spend proper time with no interuptions. Some of the stuff I found quite painful and some of it I just pencilled through as it did not seem to include me. I know its only been a day but I feel very positive about this on writting this I have about 2 stone to loose and feel quite confident that I am giving up diets and my scales and am going to finallyu live the life I have always envied and that is one of someone who never thinks about food and just eats when they are hungry...Watch this space.......
on 1 August 1997
Geneen Roth has a deceptively simple idea to offer her readers. She's not advocating some ridiculous fad or some new diet plan. Instead, Geneen's idea is that through years of cycling through diet and deprivation followed by bingeing, we have lost touch with our innate sense of when we are hungry or full. It is only by learning how to listen to our bodies that we can finally get out of the madness of compulsive eating and regain peace and control in our lives.
In this book, Geneen Roth takes this concept which she has previously outlined one very important step further: it is broken into simple steps and exercises. The book is in workbook format to help us on our journey towards learning how to identify true hunger and nourish ourselves. The exercises help the reader to really focus on each step.
Geneen's views on compulsive eating are truly a breakthrough in our diet culture. Her ideas are a welcome relief from the constant bombardment of new diet plans which ultimately fail. Geneen leaves us feeling good about who we are regardless of size and making us realize that our compulsive eating is not crazy nor is it incurable.
on 30 March 1999
What you would never tell about your eating disorders are told by Ms. Roth and others int this book that makes it okay to talk about these problems that so many of us have. Ms. Roth is the world's #1 spokes person on this subject. She is so cleanly real and tells all just the way you have always felt but never dared tell even your dearest friend. You are not alone in the way you abuse yourself with food and finding out that others have gone through it too is incredibly freeing and the only way to heal and go on. Anything Ms. Roth writes is excellent as she has not only lived these things, but is an excellent writer as well.
on 17 February 2016
Check out all of her books you won't be disappointed!
on 16 May 2015
Although it is dated and although books of this elk seem to be compelled to be cliched and poorly written, this is a really helpful place to start when looking to challenge your thinking and consequential habits.
on 13 January 2015
on 2 October 2015
Urgh! Psychobabble about analysing your past. Completing the tasks is a full time job and quite frankly, it did nothing for me. Would give it zero stars if I had the option, and I am still fat!
on 17 December 2014