on 12 August 1999
Contains a lifetime's worth of information---and inspiration. I've read it twice, and dip into it periodically because it contains so much truth. I was a journalist for ten years, and have read a fair number of how-to-write books, but nothing I've seen is in the same league with Blundell's work. He provides a comprehensive system for organizing material and for sharpening and vivifying a story to a professional level. While it may be true that beyond a certain point good writing cannot be taught, there are definitely techniques to master and mistakes to avoid. Apply Blundell's principles and your writing will almost have to improve.
on 16 January 1996
Most how-to writing books assume you've collected everything you need to know about the subject and just need to work the passive voice out of your prose--or that you're suffering from writer's block and need to free the artist within. Blundell assumes you first have to gather information, then integrate it into a story that moves readers along. I was fortunate enough to be in his first Wall Street Journal class for new reporters. In his absence, I recommend this book to all would-be nonfiction writers.
on 19 December 2008
I had been a successful freelance journalist for a decade when I found this book. It helped me understand what I was doing right and create methods for the places I was falling down. I found it wise and time saving. I now lecture in journalism and still urge my student to use many of its suggestions.
on 5 December 1998
There are books on grammar, books on news reporting, and dictionaries. Now for something completely different: This is the only book I've read that really tells you how to write great copy for a newspaper. It's the best.
on 10 January 1997
This is it, the best book ever written on writing feature articles for newspapers and magazines. I've been writing, editing, and of course reading features for nearly 20 years, and have read many, many books on the subject. This is the one I press on colleagues, friends, even strangers on the street. It works because the damned thing is written by a guy who's done the work at a big-name daily (the Wall St. Journal), not an academic or writer manque. The book smells of the newsroom. It's real. Get it.
on 18 May 1999
The Art and Craft of Feature Writing was, after all, written over ten years ago. This author gives the blunt impression that both writers and readers are only men. This is ok, however outdated since authors today typically write to both sexes or minimally give examples of women as well as men writers. The reading can be laborious but my two favorite chapters are Shaping Ideas and Notes on Self Editing and Style. I'll keep the book for reference.