Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

This was another absolutely fabulous addition to Jane Yellowrock urban fantasy series. Even better than the previous couple of books. You know why?

There was an edge of desperation to Jane, and like with all the predators it only made her so much more lethal. I loved this book in all its savage wonders!

Great thing about Death's Rival, - it digs into Jane's childhood, forces her to uncover more of her memories and face her oldest trauma and fears.

She also has to face her current greatest fear and master it, feel the betrayal of the people who she thought always had her back.

Positive thing? She acquires two assistants, and it looks like the beginning of a really great team. Negative thing? The sexual tension is still unresolved, and all that pent-up feelings of attraction are getting stale. It's really a thread of the plot that I'd like to kill off because it's going nowhere.

The ending is absolutely awesome and was really keeping me on the edge of my seat, but this is what Faith Hunter does best and what really makes me pick up her books time and again. Jane Yellowrock series is solid, hard-boiled and very much action driven urban fantasy, which I thoroughly recommend.
VINE VOICEon 13 February 2013
I would agree with the other reviewers that this is a more thoughtful, maybe darker book than the previous ones. There's little lightness, no smiles or happiness, it starts grim and keeps on going, with an impressive body count. Add to that Jane feeling, and being, very much alone at the beginning, and you have a dark book. However, once I'd accepted that this was the case, I quickly got hauled in. DO NOT, as I did, look at the ending before you get there (I know, I know, a reeeeally bad habit I need to kick) - it could seriously mislead, and flavour how you read the rest of the book - so DON"T DO IT, 'kay?
There's a terrible, awful betrayal that made for uncomfortable reading and left me feeling quite disturbed and angry. It has ramifications that run through to the end, and into the next book. I now know very clearly who I rate and who I don't.
I liked the addition of the Younger brothers; they provide Jane with two people who are hers alone, and who she can trust, and the interactions between the three of them bring a little light relief to things. Rick reappears, and his scenes with Jane (and with Beast) are lovely, but sad. Jane spends a lot of the action as part of a team run by others which is unusual for her, and the outcomes suggest she's right to not trust to others to organise things, but she reverts to form for the end, and what a humdinger that is.
The next book is under way, and I see from the author's website that she's been contracted for a 9-book series, so Jane is around for a bit yet, yay! I just hope she manages a little fun and warmth and peace along the way.
on 1 November 2012
This has got to be the best book of the series they just keep getting better and better. Many more please Jane, beast and co are just unputdownable if there is such a word. My only dissenting comment on the whole series would be why isn't it available on kindle yet?
on 16 March 2014
I've been a fan of the these books but can't help but feel as they continue I'm losing something that was there before and kept me gritted through the overly-religious/belief part of her. Maybe this is an English thing of never wanting to be too involved in someones beliefs but whatever it was I could intergrate it all into Jane's character, but find myself not so keen to read the next book as this series progresses. I probably still will in the hope they return to their former glory.
I just wish she had more of a life outside of Leo at this point I think, or more of a relationship with him...? Anything but just a following of a morbid un-relationship with everyone she can't or wont have.
on 11 January 2013
Jane Yellowrock still rocks in this episode but somehow her character has evolved.

Just like Anita Blake (Laurel K Hamilton), Jane is losing her innocence as she gets more and more involved with the vampires. Which is sad. She also doesn't seem to be leading much in this one but instead becomes part of a team with 2 humans and I must admit that I missed Beast as I felt she took a back seat.
That said, the story of the mysterious Mithran who seems to be infecting MoCs with a plaguelike disease is gripping and lets the reader wonder whodunnit until the big reveal.
I now would like very much to see what happens next!
on 6 July 2014
I love this series. In each book there is more character depth and background and you can see the characters develop and change. Jane is a great character with depth and when she is in emotional pain, you really feel for her. This series is a must for fans of Kate Daniels and Mercy Thompson.
on 19 March 2015
Hooked straight away.... love the thrills, the secrets, the twists and turns. The tension, love and anguish that builds from the characters you learn to love and sometimes hate, is fantastic.
on 5 October 2012
Maybe this book is a little grittier than some, and a touch more thoughtful, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, couldn't sleep until I'd finished it.
on 7 September 2014
Once again great no brilliant read soooo upset that rick and jane can't get together can't wait till next one
on 30 October 2014
Love the series, still reading though.