5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - go and buy it!
Published on 12 Dec. 2010 by Nightingale

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too conventional compared to the rest
Published on 28 Dec. 2011 by ladyguinevere

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - go and buy it!, 12 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Seer of Sevenwaters (Hardcover)
I absolutely loved that book! It was like coming home again to the world of Sevenwaters, where Marilliers characters have become good old friends. Although the description on the back of the book seems a bit cliché, the story is not. It is more an intriguing blend of celtic and norse historic setting, myths, suspense and adventure - romance is there, and it is an important part of the story, but it didn't seem like the most important one. I just loved to go back and get to know how the characters from the older books are doing now, their story is also being developed, and they played an active part.

The book felt different than the other Sevenwaters books, which reflects perfectly the fact that Sibeal, the main character, is a different kind of person than Sorra, Liadan or even Clodagh.

There are hints for another book to come, can't wait for that, it seems the final battle between MacDara and Cathal will be there some time.

For newcomers to the series, one could start with the book, but to understand all the clues and for not missing the best series in the world, read "Daughter of the forest", "Son of the shadows", "Heir to Sevenwaters" (didn't like child of the prophecy, the 3rd book, so much). You will not be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars A precious gift, 21 Dec. 2010
jen7waters (Porto, Portugal) - See all my reviews
**spoiler free**

And Marillier does it again. Writes to sweep her readers off their feet, and crave for more. (Moooore. Moooooore.) Seer was a lovely comeback to Sevenwaters, or shall I say, to its characters, because this time the Sevenwaters forest will be present only in Sibeal's thoughts and tales to help Felix get better. Does the story loses its magic because of it? Not at all. It is my deepest belief Juliet could send any of these characters to the most exotic places and the Sevenwaters magic would still be there, because it lives in them, in the love that clearly shows when a character thinks or speaks of the forest, tells the story of the brothers turned into swans, or that one about the girl who saved the Painted Man (and so on). But Sibeal doesn't even go that far, and Inis Eala with Johnny, Clodagh, Muirrin, Cathal, Gull, and so many others, can surely be called home.

Seer's tale starts in the island, with Sibeal managing between her druid's tasks, and -to the reader's rejoice- helping Felix restore his health; but later there's a rescue mission that requires a group to get on a ship, sail through unknown waters, reach an unknown place, home of a legendary seamonster, and save a few of Felix's comrades. I won't say the boat trip was my favorite part (because my favorite part was the whole book), but it was the one that kept me reading all night, until morning. I loved Juliet's take on the seamonster myth (I can't say more or I'll spoil it, and I don't want to) and how she portrayed the creature. Sometimes I seem to forget that it's so like her to make the reader see the other side of a story, a character, and even of a terrifying, men-eating beast.

Prior to my reading, with only the synopsis for support -Sibeal+Viking shipwreck- I often thought Seer sounded like a cross between Sevenwaters and The Light Isles. Now if someone asks me, I'll probably be a little more specific and say it's kind of a cross between Son of the Shadows and Wolfskin, first because there is a man in need of rescue from a dark place, this time called loss of memory/physical limitations/feeling guilty/am I brave enough?/can I do this?; second, because besides the fact that for obvious reasons the couple kept reminding me of Nessa and Eyvind -when he's sick and she takes care of him, Sibeal also sent me the Nessa vibe when she goes through a inner war to make the choice between her religious call and her heart. But that's not all, I also think Seer has a very mysterious storyline, from beginning to end, which at times, reminded me of some thrilling (chilling *scary*) Wolfskin moments.

Still about the couple: as always, it was delicious (really, this is the word for it) to witness their relationship grow, slowly, tenderly, and this particular set amused me greatly because they are the "nerdiest" of Juliet's couples until date, with Sibeal being a druid, and Felix a scholar (and a poet!) - and don't I love nerds and geeks so. (I really do :D )

About everyone else: it was delightful to meet those beloved characters from previous books again, but I'll admit some reencounters were quite, quite painful; on the other hand, almost everyone provided me with laughing out loud scenes, being Gull, Cathal and Clodagh clearly in the leadership - I wasn't expecting for them to be so active in this one, so it was a good surprise.

I say this all the time, and I'll say it again: I'll never be capable to put into words just how much I love this author and every single sentence she writes. Never. No praise is or will ever seem enough, simply because she's beyond it. Her stories and writing go further than everything I have in high esteem. Her books, to me, are prized treasures I keep both on my bookshelf and in my heart. I do believe she knows, and at the same time doesn't (fully), the precious gift she presents me -and I presume, all of the other fans- with, when a new book comes out, and everytime I look at my Marillier collection I immediately feel the need to somehow tell her thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. So, to finish, and as I gaze upon my Seer, I'll just say this: thank you master storyteller, thank you queen of historical fantasy, thank you beautiful, kind, and much cherished lady, thank you for sharing your wisdom, your craft and your heart, once again, with all of us.
(review originaly posted at my blog, Cuidado com o Dálmata)

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too conventional compared to the rest, 28 Dec. 2011
ladyguinevere (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seer of Sevenwaters (Mass Market Paperback)
I read the first Marillier trilogy - Daughter of the Forest, Son of the Shadows and Child of the Prophecy - with great pleasure. I love Marillier's writing and her books always keep me enthralled and eager to finish them in one sitting. This book was no exception in that regard, I read it in one day and the plot is a good one that kept me interested, turning myth into something completely believable and relatable.

That said, of the four books I have read in this series now, this is my least favorite. The love stories in the previous three books had what I thought was great pacing and just the right amount of conflict to keep the story moving along nicely until the conclusion. In this one, the love story failed to unfold in quite as interesting a way as it has previously, in my opinion, and seemed rather more conventional. In the others, the soulmate aspect was more apparent; I truly believed there could be no other for the heroine. In this one, I didn't buy it quite as well.

I also found Sibeal somewhat annoying as a main character, and the gushing praise from everyone around her, when all she seemed to do was faint and weep a lot, slightly sickening. It reminded me of other, slightly cheesier romance novels, where you're supposed to sympathise with a slightly stupid heroine just because she's plucky. I think my main problem was that the characters lacked the dimension I'd kind of come to expect from Marillier. The 'conflict' Sibeal faced seemed hollow to me, the end result predictable. Felix was as kind and likeable as past love interests, but also weaker. I found Svala probably the most interesting character, and the story that went with her was a highlight of this book, which redeemed things for me somewhat.

I feel bad saying this about one of my favorite authors, and in reality I would probably give this 3.5 stars if I could. But I do find this the weakest of her books so far. It hasn't deterred me from reading the others though, and I look forward to the others still.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 2 May 2011
brilliant ....what more can i say. all jullets books are fab and this is no exception. a wondeful read that i will come back to again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Marillier treat., 1 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Seer of Sevenwaters (Hardcover)
This series never gets old, and since this is the fifth in a series following the adventures of a family through the generations, that's quite a feat!

I won't harp on about the story itself - that's been covered already, and if you'd like to know more, than read it, my friend. You'll like it.

I do admire the way though that the author keeps these stories fresh. Each is written following the individual style of each character - character or life choice - each girl as different as they are similar, and each story likewise.
You only have to have been a sibling yourself, or have children, or have nephews/nieces, to understand where I'm coming from, with that.
There is a small change in this book, as the "voice" of Felix (the love interest of Sibeal) is also heard. I did find that a bit distracting, but Sibeal comes through loud and clear too, so I won't grumble too hard.

Each book is an exploration of a new character (or in this case, two!) like getting to know a new friend. That's always an interesting experience, isn't it?

Another little grumble is that this time we don't get to even visit Sevenwaters itself during the story. The family home, and surrounding forest has previously played it's own role in the tales. It's a shame, but overall I still enjoyed the story of Sibeal and her Felix.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 5 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Seer of Sevenwaters (Mass Market Paperback)
I love the sevenwaters books,the whole series just leaves you begging for more. This one is just as good. it follows the pattern of the others and is equally wonderful

5.0 out of 5 stars expectations, 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Seer of Sevenwaters (Mass Market Paperback)
I always have high expectations when I buy a new Juliet Marillier book. Seer of Sevenwaters, of course, lived up to those expectations. A great plot, as always, new characters as compelling as the old ones who, by the way, are at their best. I was especially delighted to revisit Cathal and Clodagh, and to finally get an insight of life at Innis Eala. And what I enjoyed the most were the twists and turns that make us expect a future battle between Cathal and Mac Dara. Can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Oct. 2013
C. Patrick (scotland) - See all my reviews
I love the sevenwaters this next Novel Seer of Sevenwaters did not disappoint. Grabbed me from the very start of the book full of adventure and pulls you in to world of mystery you do feel like your in the otherworldly Realm. Loved also visiting some of the older gang from the painted men like Gul and Spider. I also loved the little addition or the flutter of a wing from Finbar.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Seer of Sevenwaters (Mass Market Paperback)
I didn't enjoy the first half of the book as it tends to drag a little, it gets more interesting towards the middle-end which is completely action packed and a big surprise compared to the beginning. If your a fan of this series you'll still enjoy it as it's another little glimpse into the Sevenwaters world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant one by Juliet Marillier, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Seer of Sevenwaters (Hardcover)
Continuing the Sevenwaters saga, this is the story of Sibeal, the seer amongst Sean and Aisling's girls. Set in Inis Eala, it has all the elements that make this series a great one.

Seer of Sevenwaters
Seer of Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier (Mass Market Paperback - 6 Sept. 2011)