5.0 out of 5 stars Garrett retired?, 4 Nov. 2010
Manly Reading (Brisbane, QLD, AUST) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gilded Latten Bones (Garrett P.I.) (Mass Market Paperback)
Well, not right now, I think. There are enough tantalising clues and loose ends in Gilded Latten Bones to stand another few stories. But the book opens with Garrett retired for about 18 months, living with Tinnie Tate, and someone trying to kill him (or maybe Tinnie) - and Morley Dotes too. The story is then about how Garrett gets his groove back and comes out of retirement. The veneer of calm that has been creeping over TunFaire of late is suddenly revealed as very thin.

To be uncharitable, not a lot happens for the first 200 pages of the book - its sleuthing all the way, although Garrett is not pounding the streets himself. At page 200, there is a little action and the Dead Man goes to sleep. Then another 130 pages of investigation and problem solving, and the last 20 pages tie it all up. There is very little dénouement, and a number of loose threads are left hanging at the end of the story. But every single word has meaning - either in this book, for a past story, or presumably some future one. There is plenty of tension even if the blades aren't flickering.

Bones continues the theme of the last several books of growing up and getting older - noticeably, on seeing all his old friends Garrett notes how they all look a bit more chased by Father Time. Presumably they could say the same about Garrett, but no one does. This is beautifully handled - of all things, this is a lovely character piece, about love and companionship, friendship and adulthood. There a lot of litle clues about the past and future scattered through the story - and if I had to guess, I would say that Pular Singe is writing all these Garrett tales down with help from the Dead Man: some shades of the literary method of the Black Company's Annals there.

Lastly, the book is chock full of surprises: without giving too much away, Bones is not a gentle continuation of where the last few books (especially Cruel Zinc Melodies) were heading. It's not a reboot, or anything of the sort, but Garrett has been set up for a whole new suite of adventures in a whole new sort of TunFaire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Noir and Wit, 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Gilded Latten Bones (Garrett P.I.) (Mass Market Paperback)
There was a time when I despaired of finding any Garrett P.I back copies. I joined at Cold Copper Tears and quickly discovered that Cooks' other tales were tough to find. I certainly didn't expect him to produce any new material,in this vein as I assumed that he'd run out of steam. Yet here we are with accessibility to his existing works and a whole new world of impending adventures.
In my eyes Gilded Latten Bones is pure quality storytelling. Danger beckons and Garrett has finally become aware of the price one pays in attempting to keep the peace! Now he is determined to be true to himself and to his friends. In addition to that he has also opened his eyes to the possibility of true happiness. Finally, there aren't many fantasy authors who include humour in there work so it is refreshing to be party to the exchange of wit and banter that occurs unexpectedly between Dotes and Garrett. It caught me unawares and I'm still laughing. 'Pure Gold'.

Gilded Latten Bones (Garrett P.I.)
Gilded Latten Bones (Garrett P.I.) by Glen Cook (Mass Market Paperback - 2 Nov. 2010)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available