4.0 out of 5 stars the plot thickens, 9 Feb 2011
I. R. Manton (Northampton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Distant Thunders (Destroyermen) (Mass Market Paperback)
There will be some that criticise this for being too much of a scene setting book with too little action. In a way they could be right. However the book also positions itself well to allow a continuation of the series (and we know book 5 has already been written).

If you are a fan of the Destroyermen series you will not be disappointed. The book is well written and better proportioned in chapter length etc. The new situations and characters are bedding in nicely and the scope for future books is still significant. If you are new to the series though make sure you start with book one "into the storm".

I hope the author does not prolong the series too long and gives it a credible ending rather than trying to milk the series for all its worth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved, 15 Dec 2010
Fredrik Johnson "Pop" (Nynaeshamn, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This is the fourth book in the series and it shows: The writing flows and the caracters are more beliveable. I would recomend that you read the other books in the series first. The OT is rather intresting and the author knows the period and his belowed four stackers. The maps are sufficent, as always there is room for improvment in that department. My one fear is that the series will turn in to the something like "the lost regiment" series by W.R. Forstchen . after some 10 books it left you in the lurch. Always more savages to fight but it never finished.
But for the Destroyermen I hope the series will finisin a logical way. Anyway, I have already preorderd the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thundering forward!, 8 July 2010
Rune Eriksen (Norway) - See all my reviews
The first three books in the Destroyerman series where read with the "help" of my new Kindle in May. Just reading a few Chapters of the first book made mee buy the two next books in the series. Then I learned of "Distant Thunders", and since I am not able to buy this for my Kindle (why is it not released for Europe?), I decided I could not wait so I bought the hardcover. I was not disappointed, and I am now eagerly waiting for the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Distant Thunder book, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Distant Thunders (Destroyermen) (Mass Market Paperback)
Very pleased with this book, have found it difficult to get hold of in the past so thank you very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars huband loved it, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Distant Thunders (Destroyermen) (Mass Market Paperback)
i bought this for my husband some time ago but he loved the book and wants to collect the whole series of them

5.0 out of 5 stars This series just gets better and better!, 18 Oct 2012
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk (Oldham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Distant Thunders (Destroyermen) (Mass Market Paperback)
Wow! What can I say. This series has just grown better at each stage but THIS book! Thrilling, action-packed, edge-of-seat stuff! The cuddly meerkats are no longer "meerkats"... they're just characters in the story and only occasionally are you reminded that they have fur and tails! The nasty lizards, the Griks, are no longer simply mindless, carnivorous killers but have also taken on deeper characteristics. ...and now a further dimension has been added to the tale. I cannot recommend the Destroyermen series highly enough - entertainment is a given, thrilling is a byword.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the title., 4 Jun 2011
This review is from: Distant Thunders (Destroyermen) (Mass Market Paperback)
Bought these for my husband - he would never have bought them, but has never put the books down and cannot wait for the next title.

Great concept well written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maintains the very high standard, 10 Mar 2011
Mr. K. J. Santi (South England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Distant Thunders (Destroyermen) (Mass Market Paperback)
The first three books in the Destroyermen series were uniformly excellent, pleasingly this fourth book maintains the very high standard.

Kicking off after the big battle depicted in the third book, we get a few pages of scene setting before the story quickly develops into several independant storylines. Multiple groups from the allies drive each of these story threads, each has an objective to achieve that will advance the fortunes of the grand alliance. The author expertly develops each thread and flips between then at well judged intervals. Some of the more marginal characters from earlier books are given much more more attention, allowing the author to develop them as less than perfect people who are struggling with their situation.

About halfway through the book I must admit that I felt somewhat cheated as I thought I see the inevitable conclusion to the main storyline. Of course I was lulled into this by the author and a few neat twists towards the end surprised me and set the scene for the next book.

If I were to make one criticism it would be that the crew from the good ship Walker appear to have been the most resourcefull and technically gifted bunch of sailors that ever existed. They are able to achieve significant leaps forward in terms of military technology and industrialisation in a remarkably short period of time. Whilst they are effectively re-inventing stuff that already exists from their original world, I fear that the pace needs to slow down to avoid it becoming too fantastical.

Can't wait to get my hands on the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent continuation to the series, 17 July 2010
Quite surprised at the twists and turns in this continuation to an excellent series. I had expected it to move on faster with the main plot, but side plots have been further developed, and there is greater depth to the landscape.

By the end of this book, the sense of anticipation and build up of what is to come is really strong. Now I have to wait for him to finish the next one.....

Excellent stuff, and wholeheartedly recommended.

Distant Thunders (Destroyermen)
Distant Thunders (Destroyermen) by Taylor Anderson (Mass Market Paperback - Feb 2011)
4.70