Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 16 January 2012
I read all three of the 'Rogue Mage' books fairly close together and my only wish is that I hadn't read them so quickly! Mainly because the storyline was so good that I didn't want it to end, but also because the plot can be a bit on the complicated side. I have read the 'Mercy Blade' series, and while I love Jane Yellowrock, I have to confess I found this series much more interesting. Truthfully I think the first 'Rogue mage' book took a bit of a bashing in the amazon reviews, yes there is a lot of detail and a whole host of characters to try and follow but as you read on everything falls into place. I'm also a bit tired of reading all the vampire/ supernatural romances which are regurgitating the same idea over and over, each one more boring and unoriginal than the last. If you like a good book, well written and thought out, that is completely new and original give this series a try. Religion is the main theme, but don't be wary because it wasn't preaching and to be honest it makes the story.
on 29 July 2009
Oh it's so wonderful to have a fresh take on Fantasy!
I bought Bloodring because of the brilliant cover and the unique idea of the post apocalyptic world. It was just two tempting to ignore. After reading the first one I had to get the next two.
If it's been a while since you've read Bloodring and Seraphs, you might want to think about re-reading them. My one tiny criticism is that the plot is a little complicated and it's easy to forget some details that are brought up in the 3rd book if its been a while since reading the previous ones. This left me feeling a bit confused over some of the story, but I still enjoyed it.
The storyline is fresh, very original and fun. You desperately hope for Thorn to come through against the odds!
If you are Fantasy fan looking for something a bit different, go for it.
ONE thing, start with Bloodring, don't be tempted to skip as you will be lost!
on 22 March 2013
Good story. I could not put the book down. I loved the series and would encourage others to read it, if you like supernatural or shifters, fairies and other supernatural beings.
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2009
I read all 3 books over a week and loved them. They are best read close together as the storyline occurs over a short period and the plot is quite complicated in places.

Thorn is a strong heroine and I loved the interaction with her friends and allies. The angels are dark and frightening. Like other reviewers of this series I would like to know how they came to control earth and how the ice age began. Maybe Faith Hunter will write more books set in the world.

The religious aspects were well done. The boundaries between good and evil were nicely blurred and much of the morality was left to the reader's interpretation.

Overall I rate this trilogy and now regret sending the books to my sister in New Zealand as I would like to read them again!
on 19 March 2008
I hope Faith Hunter is not going to leave this series as a trilogy. I think there could be a few more books out of the unique characters and futuristic world she has created. Faith also still has to tell us where the Seraphs came from - another planet or another dimension. How can they breed with humans? Is God real or a tool of control for the Seraphs etc. Well crafted plots, believable characters one could empathise with. Well written in vocabulary fit for adults - so many of these books are written with the vocabulary of an 8yr old. Shades of deeper meaning for those who want to look for it. I couldn't make my mind up if Faith Hunter was subconciously (or consciously) endorsing religious faith as a powerful tool for the faithful or as a controlling power aka Marx's 'opium of the people'.