5.0 out of 5 stars This series just gets better and better!
Published on 2 Aug 2008 by Elizabeth

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same
Published on 19 Jan 2009 by J. R. Bedford

5.0 out of 5 stars This series just gets better and better!, 2 Aug 2008
Elizabeth (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gale Force (Weather Warden Novel) (Mass Market Paperback)
For those of you who were a bit disappointed with the direction that 'Thin Air' took, ie the memory loss of Joanne, then have no fear because 'Gale Force' is back to the old style, only bigger and better. Each new book in this series somehow manages to be better than the last, and makes the love I have for David grow even stronger (be warned: he gets a hot makeover in this book...) and my respect and admiration for Jo grow stronger too. The things she's been through and suffered, and yet she's still fighting! You'll recognise her spark and sometimes ill-advised comebacks...she hasn't changed. Which I, for one, am pleased about...

'Gale Force' opens up with everything, for once, being sorted for Joanne and David. The Djinn and the Wardens are peaceful (just about), with David leading the 'New' djinn and Ashan leading the 'Old'. Jo and Lewis are in command of the Wardens, and for once she has the respect she deserves instead of being hunted by friends and foes alike and blamed for every little weather malfunction. In fact, when you first start reading it seems like her only problems in GF will be avoiding persistant reporters and planning her wedding...that's right, David popped the big Q (ahh bless him. I want a Djinn)

However, while she is shopping for her wedding dress an earthquake strikes, forcing her to flex her relatively small (compared to her Weather and Fire powers) Earth powers to try and stop the buildings from collapsing around her. The Wardens soon realise that this is no normal earthquake however, and discover that they have a new enemy who isn't afraid to shake the balance up a bit...worse, the Djinn can't detect this new enemy and think that the Wardens are all delusional, even when a dead Djinn shows up...once again Joanne has her hands full, facing an enemy that David doesn't believe in, and one that can reach into a Warden and crush their heart in a few seconds...needless to say your pulse will certainly be racing thoughout this book. To use the cliched 'page-turner', and yet that's exactly what it is..

The ending of Gale Force leaves things VERY un-tied up, leaving no doubt that one or two more books in the sequal must be on their way. I don't know how Rachel Caine thinks up the stuff she does, but the surprises keep on rolling in GF and for once I'm not sure if Joanne and David are going to come out alright in the end...A brilliant read and I would highly recomend to anyone who has enjoyed the series so far. If you havn't then I really would recomend starting at the beginning with 'Ill Wind'. This is a series that shouldn't be missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Weather Warden Series - book 7, 22 Jun 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gale Force (Weather Warden Novel) (Mass Market Paperback)
Gale Force is book 7 in the Weather Warden series and I would strongly recommend reading the series in order. I think if you tried to read this as a stand alone book you'd probably be missing too much of the back story to get the full enjoyment from the book. I'm really enjoying this series though so I'd definitely recommend checking it out starting with Ill Wind.

The story starts with Jo on a well deserved vacation - not that she actually wants to be there, she'd much rather be getting stuck into her job as a Warden than sat around doing nothing. When David proposes she is thrilled and begins planning the wedding but not everyone is happy for them - in fact there are a lot of people who are prepared to stop the wedding at any cost. Ashan and the old Djinn are determined to stop the wedding but the wardens aren't too keen on it either. After events in the previous books relations between Wardens and Djinn are still volatile with the Djinn harboring a deep seated resentment for the thousands of years of slavery they have suffered at the hands of the Wardens. The Wardens are still wary of the Djinn after seeing so many of their friends die in the war between the 2 races.

In the midst of planning the wedding of the year Jo is also being chased by reporters who want to know more about the Warden organisation. On top of that when a devastating earthquake hits Florida it soon becomes clear that they are facing an enemy unlike anyone they have faced before. Worse still is the fact that David and the Djinn are completely unable to detect the danger and unable to help in the fight. With the wedding ceremony planned as a way to bring out their enemy are Jo and David actually going to make it down the aisle? Even if they do will they survive to enjoy their wedding night?

Events in Thin Air made book 6 in the series a very different read than the previous books in the series, I still enjoyed it but not as much as I had enjoyed the previous books. I'm very pleased to say that with Gale Force the series is back on top form and was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I still love Jo as a heroine - I like the fact that she is prepared to fight for what she believes in no matter what the personal cost. She has a lot to deal with in this book but I thought she coped admirably.

I absolutely love David - who wouldn't want this gorgeous Djinn as their own? - and I really liked the development in his and Jo's relationship throughout the book. I also really like Jo's best friend Cherise and loved her in this book. It's great to have a supportive female character who is human with no supernatural abilities but still has an important role to play in the story. The plot is fast paced and has so many twists thrown in you'll feel like you're on a roller coaster ride. With past characters making re-appearances and old friends making devastating betrayals it is hard to tell who Jo can trust. Although some of the plot lines are tied up at the end things are left wide open for the next book & I can't wait to get my hands on Cape Storm. I really am struggling to work out how Rachel Caine is going to be able to resolve things between the Djinn and the Wardens but also how they are going to be able to fight this new enemy.

If you're a fan of the series then I'm sure you'll enjoy Gale Force, even if you weren't keen on Thin Air I'd definitely recommend giving it a try. If you haven't started the series yet then I'd recommend it to urban fantasy fans but you really should start with book 1 Ill Wind.

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, 19 Jan 2009
J. R. Bedford (Huddersfield UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gale Force (Weather Warden Novel) (Mass Market Paperback)
I've been reading the Weather Warden books for a few years now and each time I think heroine Joanne Baldwin is about to come to the end of her trouble Ms Caine drops her in it again. In fact - it's becoming a tad predictable. That doesn't mean to say that this isn't an enjoyable read. Plot happens. Lots of plot. I tuned pages fast and read this in one sitting. It fairly romps along at a great pace with a fair amount of slick dialogue which occasionally veers a bit towards the chick-lit end of the spectrum, but I can cope. It qualifies as 'comfort reading' Open a Weather Warden book and you know what you're in for. Maybe that's not always a good thing, bit it's not always bad, either.

The Weather Wardens have powers over earth, weather (air and water) and fire. For centuries they have been saving mankind quietly by reducing the power in hurricanes, the spread of forest fires and the devastation of earthquakes. Yeah, what we get are the reduced versions. Most Wardens only have one power. Joanne Baldwin has all three, though she still a bit shaky with her earth powers - they're new. Wardens used to have enslaved Djinn to help them, but the Djinn shook off their slavery a few books ago and are now, at most, independent contractors and, at worst, still mightily pissed off with mankind.

Jo is about to marry her Djinn lover, David, leader of the New Djinn, who manifests in human form (predictably) as just about the hottest male on the planet, but neither the two factions of Djinn nor her fellow Wardens think this particular mixed marriage is a good idea. As far as the New Djinn go it's a temporary aberration for maybe sixty years max (Jo, after all, is mortal and David is not), but the Old Djinn have got a big problem with it. Not - at it turns out - as big a problem as 'The Sentinels' a renegade Warden organisation not above terrorism using antimatter that the supposedly all-powerful Djinn can't even detect. So Jo and her fellow wardens have a problem and what better place to set a trap than the wedding of the year (or millennium, come to that).

But my big grouch is that this is only half a book. By the end of it we've discovered who's behind the Sentinels, but not done anything about it. It's not a cliffhanger ending but it has lots of loose threads and firmly pushes you towards the next book in the series. I know this is great business, Ms Caine, but just for once can we have a happy-ever-after? Please.

After seven books a heroine who cares almost as much for her fast car and her Manolo Blahniks (horribly uncomfortable looking designer shoes for the uninitiated) as she does for saving the world can get a bit samey. It was cute in the first couple of books, but by now I would have thought Jo might have got her priorities sorted out after several major battles.

I sound as if I didn't enjoy this book, that's not the case, but I do have a caveat: it's not for people who have not read all the previous Weather Warden books. If you've enjoyed the others, odds-on this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... the next book in the series i would definately recommend this book for readers of rachel caine it is ..., 19 July 2014
for the readers of rachel caine and the weather warden series this book is a must it answers a lot of questions but also asks a few more and leaves the reader in suspense for the next book in the series i would definately recommend this book for readers of rachel caine it is a very good read i at times found it very hard to put down as i wanted to know what happens next itwill keep you on the edge of your seats without doubt buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 10 Feb 2014
if you have read the morganville vampires you will also love these books even though they are not vampire related Rachel Caine is a great author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gale Force, 16 July 2013
If you like Rachel Caine you will love this book,also why not give the Morganville Vampires a try, excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 22 Nov 2012
I love all of Rachel Caine's books, this is no exception. Great story, further mayhem & tension all round, continues the tale, great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series, 15 Sep 2012
Jo and David's upcoming nuptials are put to the test when an earthquake ruins the first bridal shop that Jo attends. An earthquake caused by something unknown to the wardens and unseen by the Djinn, a fact that the Djinn can't believe so they think the Wardens are suffering a mass hallucination. Turns out there's a new bad in town, a group called The Sentinels, they don't like the Djinn and they really don't like Jo since she's going to marry one. Jo fights for her life as the Wardens fight to save the world without the reporters spilling everything to the inhabitants of it.

So I waited ages for this to come out over here and it turns out the covers were changed anyway, seems they've been changed to look a bit more like the Morganville books. And even though I waited ages for it and bought it as soon as it was available, other books got in the way and I actually forgot I had it on my shelf. Until I read Devil's Bargain and was reminded of my love for Rachel Caine's writing.

And I am SO glad I picked it up! Completely forgot how much I loved David and his and Jo's relationship, and I do like when we get confirmation of their feelings for one another. Although I had several scares on whether it was going to last, as with other books there are complications with the whole human-Djinn thing so there are always the gasp-out-loud moments that fill me with honest-to-goodness fear!

Can't believe I forgot about this series, have been on Amazon already to make sure I have the last two books in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars addictive, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Gale Force (Weather Warden Novel) (Mass Market Paperback)
The weather warden series i found hard work to get in to, but now i am i cant wait to see what misfortunes are going to happen to them all.
I glad to say i wasnt let down again by this book, lots of action and well written story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gale Force - Rachel Caine, another great book, 13 Sep 2011
M. Thompson - See all my reviews
Yet another great book in the weather warden series by Rachel Caine. I would recommend reading it, if you enjoyed the earlier books. They are action packed and a good read.

Gale Force (Weather Warden Novel)
Gale Force (Weather Warden Novel) by Rachel Caine (Mass Market Paperback - 5 Aug 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01