4.0 out of 5 stars Urban Fantasy with a PI twist
Published on 16 Oct 2007 by Lesley70

3.0 out of 5 stars Harper takes a walk on the grey side
Published on 25 Aug 2009 by Persephone

4.0 out of 5 stars Urban Fantasy with a PI twist, 16 Oct 2007
This review is from: Poltergeist: A Greywalker Novel (Greywalker) (Paperback)
Poltergeist picks up a few months after the end of Greywalker. Harper is now more in control of her ability to see into the Grey, but she still hasn't perfected it. With no other Greywalkers to talk to she has to rely on the advice of her friend Mara, and more riskily, the knowledge of Carlos the vampire. Her latest case sees her investigating a University research group who have created an artificial poltergeist. When one of the group is murdered Harper decides to find out who is responsible.

As Poltergeist builds on the story started in Greywalker, I think it's best if you read Book 1 of the series first. Although the mystery part of the story is pretty much standalone, Harper's ongoing arc and interactions with several characters continue from the previous book.

One of the things I like about the Greywalker series is that it isn't obvious where the story is going. I've watched that many episodes of CSI that it's rare for something to surprise me. But Kat Richardson manages to keep her plots intriguing. In the end, the mystery wasn't that mysterious, but all the other stuff that happened along the way, more than made up for it. The fact that while you're reading the story you're completely immersed in Harper's world.

Harper's life doesn't just stop because she has a case. She's also trying to maintain a long-distance relationship with Will Novak (the auctioneer from Greywalker) who has moved to London. Mara and Ben are still on hand to offer assistance, with their resident ghost Albert seemingly encouraging their toddler's bad behaviour. Strange ghosts are accosting Harper in public toilets, vampires are ringing at 5 am asking for favours and she's still not completely sure how her power works. Even with this large cast of characters, you can keep everyone straight in your head because they are each written as individuals. And none of these incidents detracts from the main story, they just flesh out Harper's world, making it real.

Quinton remains something of a mystery. I'm still sure there is more to him than meets the eye, though we only learn slightly more about him in this book. I also love the fact that Chaos (the ferret) loves him. He's very perceptive:-

"...Working for jerks costs extra and working for jerks on short notice is even more..."

And he's ultimately the one who comes up with the solution to the problem. Even though 'magic makes his head ache'.

The ending sees Harper having to ask Carlos the vampire for help. Which she already knows is something of a double-edged sword and he remains true to form. KR's vampire's are disturbingly creepy and I look forward to seeing how Carlos and Harper's relationship develops in upcoming books.

I still feel Kat Richardson overuses 'OK' in her dialogue, but apart from that minor quibble on my part I enjoyed Poltergeist as much as I did Greywalker, and this is definitely a series I plan to follow.

According to Kat Richardson's website Book 3 Underground will be a Summer 2008 release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second book in series, 27 Feb 2009
This was a decent second book in a series. The character development and the relationships were moved along nicely. The writing allowed the story to move along with pace. Well worth looking at.

4.0 out of 5 stars Urban Fantasy with a PI Twist, 14 Dec 2007

3.0 out of 5 stars Harper takes a walk on the grey side, 25 Aug 2009
Harper Blaine is a small-time private investigator trying to earn a living when a low-life savagely assaults her, leaving her for dead. For two minutes, to be precise. When Harper comes to in the hospital she begins to feel a bit strange and starts seeing odd things -- things that can only be described as weird-shapes emerging from a foggy grey mist. Harper's death has turned her into a Greywalker; a person who is able to move between our world and the mysterious cross-over zone. Harper wonders whether it's purgatory at one point. Her new status as magnet for all things grey and spooky lands her with some very interesting cases. Harper's world has a mixture of denziens, including but not limited to: ghosts, necromancers, witches, and vampires. I really like how Richardson handles vampires in fact. They actually seem otherwordly for once (and Harper is afraid of them). Shock horror. It's quite refreshing.

In the days leading up to Halloween, Harper finds herself hired by a university research group who are attempting to create an artificial poltergeist; via collective psychology. Tuckman, the leader of the project is suspicious that someone is deliberately faking the phenomena (due to its strength), and approaches Harper to help wheedle out his saboteur. Much to Harper's chagrin, her investigation leads her to some unexpected places... including asking Carlos the vampire necromancer for help. When one of the group's members is mysteriously murdered she realises that this will not be just another case.

'Poltergeist' saw most of the characters from the first book return, notably the Danzigers (love them!), Carlos, Quinton, and Cameron. I really like Carlos. He's very interesting and he seems quite interested in Harper, in the way a cat is amused by a mouse.

This book was much better than first. The pacing was somewhat faster (not by much though) and the plot was better handled -- more focused on one case and less muddled. The bulk of the story saw Harper meeting the participants of the poltergeist experiment and working out their various neuroses. The writing in this way has improved, but Harper still seems emotionally distant to me like I don't really know her. There's also not enough tension and conflict between the characters to sustain interest. The books tend to focus on plot when the characters should be more to forefront... I hope once things settle down Harper can interact with them all a lot more, and we'll see some conflict arise between the other characters. This would elevate the series in my opinion.

All in all, I did enjoy this book. But I need to know more about Harper's background however and see her more emotional. She was clever and resoureful here, but I need more development from her. If she doesn't care about things I can't either... I also want to know more about the Grey and the vampires in this world.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Boring, 5 Nov 2010
One of the most boring books I have ever read in my life and I do read a lot of books.I love ghost stories, but this was hardly one. Completely uninteresting plot with a ghost that "was not really a ghost but looked like one" etc.(seriously? who cares?), no suspense at all,too many details about Seattle(if I wanted to know all there is about that city,I would've bought a tourist guide)and a heroine I find quite obnoxious to be honest. I bought the first three books together, but I will not bother with the rest.

4.0 out of 5 stars The ghost that wasn't, 7 Jun 2010
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ever since she died for two minutes, Harper Blaine has seen the Grey and all the creatures that live within in. Fortunately, she seems to be more in control in the second book of Kat Richardson's Greywalker series, "Poltergeist" -- Richardson spins up a story that is more cohesive, complex, and much less whiny.

Harper is hired by an obnoxious professor who is running a special paranormal study -- a bunch of people have made an artificial "ghost" named Celia, which is causing REAL problems, including a death. It doesn't take long for Harper to figure out that no technical trickery could create these occurrences -- either someone is faking the results, or something supernatural is involved.

So Tucker starts investigating the various subjects and the slimy professor, even as the seances get more violent. It soon becomes obvious that whatever Celia is is, it's being controlled by a member of the group -- and if she doesn't figure out who it is soon, there will be more deaths in the group...

The first Greywalker book was kind of a shaky affair, mainly because Kat Richardson was laying out the whole concept of the Grey and working out her heroine's place in it. Now that THAT is over with, "Poltergeist" is a much steadier and sleeker book, with Harper doing something that few urban fantasy heroines do -- real detective work! I may faint with the shock.

Richardson's writing style is a mixture of evocative imagery ("the long, dark shadow of the black tower behind me") and down-to-earth explorations of Seattle, such as the mellow scenes where Harper hangs out with a warm'n'friendly Jamaican family. And without being too oppressive about it, Richardson colors the world through Harper's eyes -- we hear of changing auras, strings of yellow energy, and a world filled with unearthly sights.

Also, Harper has become a much stronger, less whiny heroine in "Poltergeist" -- not only is she more used to her new skills, but we see more of her daily life, friends and how her Grey skills have changed her. It's also nice to see an urban fantasy heroine who is an actual detective, and spends more time digging up secrets and interviewing suspects than snogging vampires and sneering at cops.

"Poltergeist" builds on what was good about Kat Richardson's debut, and quietly slips past everything that was bad. Definitely no sophomore slump here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent follow-up, 27 April 2008
Having thoroughly enjoyed Greywalker, I ordered this with great anticipation. Ms Richardson doesn't disappoint. I found the story engaging right from the beginning and enjoyed the further development of some of the characters from the first book. Harper is a likeable heroine, she's a strong, feisty personality with a decisive nature. I found this aspect of the book very refreshing, particularly as I'd got rather fed up with the direction that Anita Blake's character has taken of late. I'd been looking for a story-writer who could give me a strong female character that wasn't perfect, but that, at least knew her own mind. Ms Richardson has created this wonderfully with Harper Blaine. I also like the way the vampires are not gorgeous, velvet and lace clad sex gods, but are scary and sinister.

I particularly enjoyed the way Ms Richardson interweaves historical events into her fiction. It ensures that the story feels a lot more plausible. Her research into the Philip project was fascinating, as well as making the story all the more believable because of this type of experiment having been, apparently, carried out.

I agree with the other reviewers that Quinton is an interesting character and there is definitely more to him than meets the eye. However, I also think that there is more to Albert than we have not yet been told and I am eager to find out about his past.

Harper's acceptance of her status as a "Greywalker" and the development of her understanding of what this means is well written. I particularly like the way that Ms Richardson is not immediately giving Harper any amazing superpowers such as lightning-fast healing powers.

This is a great read, nothing too taxing, although intricate enough to keep me mentally alert. Ms Richardson is a great storyteller and I'm looking forward to Underground.

4.0 out of 5 stars Treetop, 29 Jan 2008
Another success from Kat Richardson. Yet again we are back following Harper Blaine in her bizare world between the grey and the normal world where ghost and vampires are all too real. I found this book just as engaging as the first book and had my nose buried in the pages as soon as I read the first few pages. Kat Richardson's characters are colourful as they are complex. Is Quinton a werewolf? Refrence in first book to a pack and "lone wolf" from Edward the vampire. As a big Urban Horror fan I just love these books and hope there are lots more to come.

Poltergeist: A Greywalker Novel (Greywalker)
Poltergeist: A Greywalker Novel (Greywalker) by Kat Richardson (Paperback - 7 Aug 2007)
8.99