4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying conclusion to the series, 16 Nov. 2005
xenofan "xenofan" (Kansas, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Daughter of Ancients: Book Four of the Bridge of D'Arnath (Mass Market Paperback)
When I finished reading book 3 of the Bridge of D'Arnath series, I was very surprised to learn that a fourth book was on the way. Book 3 left me feeling that any issues that needed to be resolved didn't require a whole other book. Quite what the need for a fourth book was, I didn't know. So, I ordered my copy of Daughter of Ancients with much uncertainty, rather fearful of what to expect. If there was nothing left to be resolved, then would just one book be enough to introduce what I assumed would need to be a whole new story arc? How wrong I was!
Daughter of Ancients draws together characters and events from previous books, and weaves them all into a very interesting, and believable conclusion to the whole story.
I gave the book only four stars, because there weren't really any new story ideas that hadn't occured in previous books. But the character depth and development was as deep as ever and overall, everything was very satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly satisfying conclusion., 25 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
It's hard to discuss the story without giving away more of it than I would want to read in a review and, anyway, those who've read the first three books won't think of not reading this one, and those who haven't should go back to the beginning because this is NOT a stand-alone story.
Suffice to say that I finished this on a long train journey and by the end of it tears were streaming down my face in full view of the carriage, so utterly mindblown was I by the grandeur and breadth of Miss Berg's imagination, and the sheer BEAUTY of this novel. Truly, I felt privileged to have read it.
I always feel as if I've learned something about life on finishing one of Carol Berg's books and I think this is because of her extraordinary gift for characterisation, which is second to none in the genre. Closing the book to go off and do mundane things like eat and work and sleep is like coming up for air, it's so hard to believe (and really quite heartbreaking) that these people and places don't actually exist.
Ah! I could extol her talents forever. Enough to say that whatever you do you should read the Bridge of D'Arnath quartet. It's by far the best of her works and, unlike the Rai-Kira trilogy (beautifully conceived, imperfectly executed), never EVER disappoints.

Daughter of Ancients: Book Four of the Bridge of D'Arnath
Daughter of Ancients: Book Four of the Bridge of D'Arnath by Carol Berg (Mass Market Paperback - 6 Sept. 2005)