Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 10 November 1998
It was the cover that got me. A black skeleton talking to a gargoyle-like creature. Then I read the back, and I was really intrigued. When I read it, I knew I hadn't made a mistake. Ms. Smedman takes an eclectic bunch of hackers (a ghoul, a cyber-assassin, and a female teen with a huge attraction to another ghoul, among others) and sets them in a strange and psychedelic environement: a location online with the iconography of death and the afterlife. As things go along, the plot gains even more steam with things ranging from mysteriously powerful child deckers to corporate backstabbing and warring. The whole thing is an intriguing, well-written novel in general, and a solid Shadowrun offering in particular.
on 9 April 1999
Lisa Smedman's Psychotrope takes the fascinating new "Deep Resonance" and "Otaku" Shadowrun concepts and churns out a rather uninteresting, cliche'd novel. Characters are introduced and discarded at a rapid pace until it becomes difficult to remember who any of them are. Virtually (no pun intended) the entire novel takes place inside the Matrix, and yet somehow fails to make the Matrix a immersive setting. It's not just disappointing, its absolutely uninteresting. Find a different Shadowrun book.
on 25 May 1999
This was the first Shadowrun book I read, and, if all the others are like this, I'm as hooked on the novels as I am on the game! 5 different deckers trapped in an ultraviolet host on the Seattle RTG makes for a unique plot, and all the incredible twists makes this, well, I can't think of any words to describe how good this book is!
on 2 February 1999
The cover grabbed me, but the novel held me. As a Shadowrun player I hardly ever make matrix characters, and this gave me an intiguing look into matrix runners.