Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Please don't get me wrong, as this is well-written and flows quite well, but from the blurb, I expected more of a romance, at a faster pace.

Not too much else goes on in the tale, other than what the blurb tells you, apart from Claire's friend Suzy, who provides some witty dialogue and slight LOL moments. And some sad scenes involving Claire's ill mother. I did initially think that the latter were done with sensitivity and realism, which made them all the more sad - up to around 95% of the tale, when what the author did kind of seemed unwise and unrealistic...

Some of the dialogue seems a little stilted, which in one scene did not make sense, as Claire spoke in 'normal casual talky-speak' yet the person replying, another female of a similar age, seemed to reply a lot more formally. The sex side of things with Jason didn't quite ring true the first time that they had an 'almost' moment, which came at around 42% of the tale, as the pace of things was a touch OTT and unbelievable - from full stop to full speed and back to full stop. I got the feeling that Jason's thoughts about her were a lot hotter than his actions and technique...

Overall, readable, but not a Keeper.
on 16 June 2015
The first book in the Danvers Series follows the story of Jason and Claire. Jason is the big shot CEO of Danvers and Claire is his personal assitant. Claire has been working for Jason for a couple of year now and in those years Jason has never seen her a more than his assitant.

Claire has been dealing with her mother's medical expenses and the upkeep of her mother's house, Claire had to move out after her mother began to alzheimer like symptoms and was no longer able to remember her and became agitated easily. So, Claire had to take on a second job; her second job is not to her usual conservative demeanor, but since jumping out of a party cake in lengerai pays really well, she starts working for Partiez Plus.

By a stroke of luck or misfortune as Claire sees it, she has to accompany Jason on a business trip on the same weekend she is to work a bachelors party. When she finds that she'll have enough time to do both, she's happy, she won't miss out on the pay from her other job.

Jason had to have Claire travel with him because he had to attend his BFF's bachelors party, but at the same time he had to work on a huge merger. As the cake is rolled out for the bachelors party Jason happens to be sitting in the front row right next to his buddy. Imagine his shock when who should jump out of the cake but his conservative assitant. From this point on, he becomes attracted to his assistant and he decides to figure her out.

The story continues and Claire, whose not had an easy life with a verbally/emotionally abusive farther, a recently deceased sister and a sick mother is at first happy that Jason is into her, but the relationship sours kinda of quickly when Claire finds that Jason is becoming a little to controlling. Now don't get it wrong Jason isn't crazy controlling, he's just taking liberties with making life as easy as possible for Claire, the more he finds himself falling for her, the more he wants to protect her and make sure she doesn't suffer. But, she doesn't see it that way, she feels like he is completely ignoring her ability to make choices.

Eventually they settle their conflict and Jason learns he needs to step and allow Claire to make her own decisions. The story end with Jason and Claire tying the knot and expecting thier first baby.

The story was good, it was sweet, what invisible girl doesn't dream of her Prince Charming coming along and saving the day. Granted it was so unbelievable that in all the years of working with her, he doesn't her until he sees half-naked jumping out a cake. That made him across as a bit shallow, but as fars as guys in a romance novel, he was pretty decent.
on 7 January 2013
Loved this book, I actually read the second book first then found this one so i read it in a day because I couldn't put it down. I do not think it makes a difference whether you read this first of second you understand the characters and how they link into each other very easily.

This book is the start of Jason and Claire's relationship and it had me with tears at times as you really get into the back ground of Claire and what she has had to endure by her father when growing up. I could relate to her and found the whole book well written and if you enjoy a book where two people don't really know each other because they just work together and then later he notices her and things start to change then this is the book for you, romance, desire, frustration, sex and family heartbreak. One of the characters 'Suzy' who is the main character in book 2, is so funny and I did find myself laughing. Excellent book and highly recommended
on 22 July 2012
loved both books can,t wait for the next four i belive september is the next one from beths side as i said can,t wait for suzi to find out that nick and beth have b een together lol
on 5 January 2016
I hate to say this because I absolutely totally head over heels loved Sydneys 'Lia & Lucian' series but...I just couldn't get into this :(
I can definitely see where the story was heading but it just seemed rushed all of a sudden? Some touching scenes when Claires mum was sick and the opening chapters had real potential but I just couldn't take to it.

Even saying that though, I love Sydneys style enough from Lia & Lucian that I'll read the next book in this series and hopefully it will prove me wrong....x
on 4 October 2012
Fully enjoyed this book.

Claire is struggling to make ends meet, and has an unusual weekend job to help with her finances.

Her boss, Jason runs in to her one weekend while she is working this extra job, and is surprised to discover a hidden person under bland surface.

I'll say no more to avoid disappointment, but the last couple of chapters really show Jason in his true form . . . . simply beautiful and heart warming
on 12 August 2012
I absolutely loved the books in this series. Can't wait for the others to come. Yes I like the sex scenes to be a bit smuttier but then sometimes it just nice to read just a normal love story. The books are a good length unlike some kindle books which are far too short. I liked all the characters and I can guess who the next 2 stories will be about. I think anyone who likes romance will be happy to ready this series.
on 18 August 2012
I came across this book by just looking through what other people have purchased. I hadn't heard of the author and there were only a few reviews to go on. So i thought i would give it a go, im so glad i did. This book has some realy great characters a lovely mixture of romance and humour . I went on to download book 2 straight after and enjoyed that one just as much. Can't wait for book 3 to come out.
on 16 September 2012
Loved it and read this and book 2, Not Planning on You (Danver's Book 2) in 24 hours. Jason and Claire are loveable characters as is Claire's best friend Suzy who injects sassyness and humour in all the right places. It's sweet, it's sexy and parts pull on the heart-strings. Will definately read future books in the series.
on 11 October 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Wonderfully told story with all the romance and excitement that I love in a novel. Could not put this down......so much so that my poor husband has spent the past 2 days in the other room!!!!! I am just about to start on the next book and can't wait