5.0 out of 5 stars Epic
When I started this book, I intended to spread my reading over at least three days to savour it for longer, but by the second day it rapidly became un-put-downable!

Published 11 months ago by Lannister

2.0 out of 5 stars More Chaise Scenes....yawn!
Published 28 days ago by S. Wilson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Tempt the Stars (Cassie Palmer Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)

Since finishing, I've read a bunch of other reviews where people are saying either 1) the actions scenes were too confusing or 2) they didn't like something or other about Pritkin/Mircea in this book. I would have to respectfully refute these points.

If you take the time to read, rather than skim, I don't get the first complaint at all. Crazy, chaotic, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants action scenes have been a trademark of Karen Chance's since her first book, and you either love them or you don't. But they're not new. I'm honestly a little bemused by this complaint.

As for the second point, well, my take on this is quite different. I would sum up this book in a single word: epic. I think we need to look beyond the fangirling over Pritkin or Mircea. Karen Chance is on record for saying she dislikes her books being confused with romance novels. That's not to say we can't fall in love with her characters, but this is firmly an Urban Fantasy story. And the story in this book was amazing!

I love a series where each book builds on what went on before, and where the author drops hints towards a far greater story arc. I love to pick over mysteries and clues and there's enough fodder in this book to easily tide me over till the next release. We learn a great deal about Cassie's parents, who really weren't quite what I expected (understatement), and Pritkin's rescue naturally dominates much of the story, but it's the revelations about 'the big picture' that we get along the way that make this a five star read for me.

I love a hot book boyfriend as much as the next guy/gal, but I feel judging this book in terms of what Cassie did or didn't do with Pritkin or Mircea is a colossal injustice. KC has created an amazing, huge world in her books, and her characters become more deliciously grey with every release. You can see Cassie developing and growing before your eyes, as she juggles the burdens of responsibility and dependency (and she's not the only one.)

Finally, on the "cliffhanger" ending ... I didn't even class it as a cliffhanger. I found myself grinning with anticipation as I read the final sentences.

Desperately waiting for Reap the Wind, due out at some point in 2014.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wild magic carpet ride through hell, Vegas and back, 21 Oct 2013
clairefromwales - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I love the Cassie Palmer series and always devour each new instalment in one or two sittings before reading back through all the best bits again, which this time will probably mean reading the whole thing again!

The story picks up with Cassie trying to track down her missing war-mage protector Pritkin and that individual quest takes places against the backdrop of a bigger conflict unfurling.

The books are always frenetic with one crazy action scene after another and this book is even more dementedly action-packed than normal. There are some genius scenes in this book, I loved the crazy chase through the forest with potion-wielding ghost-robot and the magic carpet windsurfing ride before a sandstorm - the writing of the scenes is brilliant, breakneck speed and the usual Cassie / Pritkin teamwork enlivening each moment.

The bigger story arc that starts to unfold is fascinating and the scale of the forthcoming battle is slowly becoming clear. I loved learning more about Cassie's parents, who were interestingly unexpected. The demon realm and its capricious court was also brilliantly realised.

I like the character of Mircea but I much prefer him as Dory's father rather than Cassie's 'boyfriend' as Cassie refers to him in the book. The awkwardness of the term emphasises why their relationship and his long term manipulations don't work for me, so I didn't miss his almost total absence from the story, but was interested in the hints about his past interactions with the Pythias.

But for me, this book was all about Cassie and Pritkin and their relationship. I loved every intense, twisty angsty moment of their interaction. There is so much that is still unacknowledged (never mind unsaid) but it's so much more compelling for it. I can't wait for them to leap off that cliff Cassie's mother refers to...

Cassie has grown and developed as a character throughout the books and in this one you can see she is really starting to grow into her power and it's beginning to become clear that it's not just luck that's kept her alive all this time. At the same time, we see how much formal training she's missing and maybe that's why she makes the right choices based on instinct.

Pritkin is as awesome as ever and I adore his character. The intensity of his personality, the hair-trigger temper, moments of gentleness and his willingness to go all out in a fight.

At the end of the book I was grinning with Cassie looking forward to the next instalment. Just not looking forward to the wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Feb 2014
I couldn't put this book down and can't wait to read the next one in the series. anyone who doesn't love this series needs to see a doctor because they must have something wrong with them. all hail Karen Chance.

2.0 out of 5 stars More Chaise Scenes....yawn!, 22 Aug 2014
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
Chaotic is how I would describe this book. When is Cassie Palmer going to actually stop winging it and start actually achieve anything? These books seemed so promising to start with, but I am actually getting very fed up with the constant chaise scenes and the cliff hangers. The only thing that seems clear about these books is that this poor girl has no clue as to what she can do, no clue as to who she can trust and everyone seems to want her dead, or are trying to use her for their own gain. Come on Karen Chance, throw us a bone, please stop writing the massive chaise scenes and get with the story, start giving this poor character a break, as her development is literally eaking along at the slowest pace. I really now have no clue what this character is trying to achieve anymore. A very disappointing and expensive read and am seriously considering giving up on this series, as I actually took a break half way through this book and read a couple of others just to stop dropping off on the train.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS SERIES, 6 April 2014
Author is great and series is awesome, another great addition to her collection and definitely a high recommendation from me. Twists and turns throughout, you never know what is going to happen nest and the characters are lovable. Read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Each book is better, 16 Mar 2014
As ever, even more interesting plots. More developed emotions. More romantic depth. What more could one want... Simply deeply enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intensely gripping, 11 Feb 2014
From following Cassie through her burdened life my love of Karen Chances writing has bloomed. sarcastically comical this character is a humbled norm-wana-be in the intense supernatural world. a must read for all true fans. Another novel of Cassandra Palmers exhaustively stubborn heroics of which I failed to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!, 21 Jan 2014
This book is just WOW!! No other way to describe it, Karen Chance certainly delivers hook, line and sinker. I am so hooked on this series im like a little child waiting for the next one to come out. Why cant I have it now? You know those series where youre getting to the fifth and sixth books and you think can they really drag this out any further and they are starting to get tiresome well this is definitely NOT one of those. I feel like i know the characters and really dont want to have to wait for book 7 but all good things come to those who wait and i cant wait to carry on the adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put it down!, 20 Jan 2014
Love this book what an ending! Amazing series. Cannot wait for the next book. Just wish I didn't have to wait so long between books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Left me wanting more, 18 Jan 2014
So frustrating (especially all the stuff with Pritkin), but in a good "I can't wait to see what happens" kind of way! Can't wait for the next book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Tempt the Stars (Cassie Palmer Novels)
Tempt the Stars (Cassie Palmer Novels) by Karen Chance (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Oct 2013)