5.0 out of 5 stars Epic
When I started this book, I intended to spread my reading over at least three days to savour it for longer, but by the second day it rapidly became un-put-downable!

Published 17 months ago by Lannister

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm
What was all that about? So I've been checking Kindle everyday to see when this book would be published in anticipation of the next tome in a much loved series - and yes I read it in a day. But I'm feeling a bit disappointed to be honest.

Published 16 months ago by Evenstar

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 6 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Tempt the Stars (Cassie Palmer Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)

Since finishing, I've read a bunch of other reviews where people are saying either 1) the actions scenes were too confusing or 2) they didn't like something or other about Pritkin/Mircea in this book. I would have to respectfully refute these points.

If you take the time to read, rather than skim, I don't get the first complaint at all. Crazy, chaotic, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants action scenes have been a trademark of Karen Chance's since her first book, and you either love them or you don't. But they're not new. I'm honestly a little bemused by this complaint.

As for the second point, well, my take on this is quite different. I would sum up this book in a single word: epic. I think we need to look beyond the fangirling over Pritkin or Mircea. Karen Chance is on record for saying she dislikes her books being confused with romance novels. That's not to say we can't fall in love with her characters, but this is firmly an Urban Fantasy story. And the story in this book was amazing!

I love a series where each book builds on what went on before, and where the author drops hints towards a far greater story arc. I love to pick over mysteries and clues and there's enough fodder in this book to easily tide me over till the next release. We learn a great deal about Cassie's parents, who really weren't quite what I expected (understatement), and Pritkin's rescue naturally dominates much of the story, but it's the revelations about 'the big picture' that we get along the way that make this a five star read for me.

I love a hot book boyfriend as much as the next guy/gal, but I feel judging this book in terms of what Cassie did or didn't do with Pritkin or Mircea is a colossal injustice. KC has created an amazing, huge world in her books, and her characters become more deliciously grey with every release. You can see Cassie developing and growing before your eyes, as she juggles the burdens of responsibility and dependency (and she's not the only one.)

Finally, on the "cliffhanger" ending ... I didn't even class it as a cliffhanger. I found myself grinning with anticipation as I read the final sentences.

Desperately waiting for Reap the Wind, due out at some point in 2014.

5.0 out of 5 stars One for Team Pritkin, 18 Oct. 2013
Curiosity Killed The Bookworm (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It's so long been Cassie Palmer novels that I must admit I'd forgotten about what happened to Pritkin at the end of Hunt the Moon. Please forgive me! I would suggest refreshing your memory by reading the last two chapters first if you're a little hazy (or the whole book if you have time). Fans of Pritkin will be happy with this instalment as Mircea takes a backseat; indeed he is eerily absent from Vegas. Is it because he can sense Cassie's loss of Pritkin or is it something else?

This world is like a warm, cosy blanket for me and I just fall into it every time. I love the characters and the mythology. Of course, I'm a huge Pritkin fan so this book was full of touching moments and nooooos and bad timing. If you prefer Mircea, you might hate it! They travel to a demon dimension which is so well imagined and so different to where you'd expect them to go. There's loads more background given around Cassie's parents and her ancestry. The kind which ties her to the gods of old. One of the best things about adding time travel in the mix, is it's easier to fill in the history without info dumping.

All the time, they are still on the brink of war, and there are witches hanging round back at her suite. I have always enjoyed Cassie's interactions with Mircea's men; the vampire bodyguards have become her family of sorts. Cassanova also gets involved and there's a hilarious and gripping flying carpet ride to look forward to. And. Oh. My. God. The ending! I really hope Karen doesn't wait another two years to find out what happens next, it has set itself up for another fantastic book.

Review copy provided by publisher.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring on Cassie 7, 15 Oct. 2013
Natalie Venning "natari-himi" (cornwall) - See all my reviews
Basically, this book just further cements how fantastic Karen Chance is and is a must for any Cassie fan... But:

Before I read Tempt the Starts, I accidentally caught wind of a review that said it wasn't all that. Well actually the review said it was full of plot holes, which plagued my mind all the way through the book. And though, personally, I feel this person was wrong, and that the plot line had the correct amount of information at any given time, it was still lacking when you compare it to the brilliance of the other books that came before. However, I don't think that is Ms Chance's fault as such.

The whole book felt more of a tremendous set up for a new direction in the series. A lot of ideas were started, but never realised. Was anybody else waiting for Cassie to put Billy Joel into an aluu? Or some similar machine akin to daddy-dearest's bucket-heads? That review I said about? I stopped reading when I reached the bitching about witches surprised at Cassie's lack of shields. But I can see why they were bitching. I'm a great believer that you can only only moan about something if you proactively set about changing it to something you will not moan about. The witches just moaned, they have yet to offer to train her. Which, I'm assuming, will be happening in the next book. I hope. But then would Cassie learning (finally) how to do magic on her own defeat her character's endearing inability to be alone?

View my full review at natari-himi.com/2013/10/13/take-a-chance-tempted-by-stars/

5.0 out of 5 stars A slow start but warms up nicely, 12 Oct. 2013
Tempt the stars

Despite being a series fan I have to say I found the first couple of chapters tedious: there was a focus on recapping rather than plot development. But then I was drawn into the search for plot hints and clues, and Karen Chance swapped into her trademark fast paced action scenes, humour and and intricate world building. I'm going to avoid any spoilers but fans of Paranormal Romance might need tp remind themselves that Chance is predominantly a writer of Urban Fantasy to avoid disappointment.

I have to say I was surprised at how much I missed the vampire court and did feel that a couple of scenes were engineered to prevent an outraged fan base. Marco continues to be a favourite and Casanova gets drawn into Cassie's antics, but I would have liked a new vampire in Cassie's entourage to liven things up a little. I suppose my main problem with the novel was that the action overshadowed the warmth at times. There were moments when KC could have allowed Cassie to build on her relationships a little more, for example with Caleb and Jules. I suppose I was looking for a new dynamic from within Cassie's world to replace some of the absent or displaced characters.
Having said that Rosier continues to be intriguing, KC does pull off a couple of long awaited meetings and she reveals more about the power struggle across the worlds.
I could understand comments from readers that certain story lines were put on hold and that the story arc didn't move forward enough, but I have to say I didn't find that an issue.
So in conclusion an engaging read for fans, with lots to ponder over and speculate on, though a little too action driven on occasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wild magic carpet ride through hell, Vegas and back, 21 Oct. 2013
clairefromwales - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I love the Cassie Palmer series and always devour each new instalment in one or two sittings before reading back through all the best bits again, which this time will probably mean reading the whole thing again!

The story picks up with Cassie trying to track down her missing war-mage protector Pritkin and that individual quest takes places against the backdrop of a bigger conflict unfurling.

The books are always frenetic with one crazy action scene after another and this book is even more dementedly action-packed than normal. There are some genius scenes in this book, I loved the crazy chase through the forest with potion-wielding ghost-robot and the magic carpet windsurfing ride before a sandstorm - the writing of the scenes is brilliant, breakneck speed and the usual Cassie / Pritkin teamwork enlivening each moment.

The bigger story arc that starts to unfold is fascinating and the scale of the forthcoming battle is slowly becoming clear. I loved learning more about Cassie's parents, who were interestingly unexpected. The demon realm and its capricious court was also brilliantly realised.

I like the character of Mircea but I much prefer him as Dory's father rather than Cassie's 'boyfriend' as Cassie refers to him in the book. The awkwardness of the term emphasises why their relationship and his long term manipulations don't work for me, so I didn't miss his almost total absence from the story, but was interested in the hints about his past interactions with the Pythias.

But for me, this book was all about Cassie and Pritkin and their relationship. I loved every intense, twisty angsty moment of their interaction. There is so much that is still unacknowledged (never mind unsaid) but it's so much more compelling for it. I can't wait for them to leap off that cliff Cassie's mother refers to...

Cassie has grown and developed as a character throughout the books and in this one you can see she is really starting to grow into her power and it's beginning to become clear that it's not just luck that's kept her alive all this time. At the same time, we see how much formal training she's missing and maybe that's why she makes the right choices based on instinct.

Pritkin is as awesome as ever and I adore his character. The intensity of his personality, the hair-trigger temper, moments of gentleness and his willingness to go all out in a fight.

At the end of the book I was grinning with Cassie looking forward to the next instalment. Just not looking forward to the wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Feb. 2014
I couldn't put this book down and can't wait to read the next one in the series. anyone who doesn't love this series needs to see a doctor because they must have something wrong with them. all hail Karen Chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!, 21 Jan. 2014
This book is just WOW!! No other way to describe it, Karen Chance certainly delivers hook, line and sinker. I am so hooked on this series im like a little child waiting for the next one to come out. Why cant I have it now? You know those series where youre getting to the fifth and sixth books and you think can they really drag this out any further and they are starting to get tiresome well this is definitely NOT one of those. I feel like i know the characters and really dont want to have to wait for book 7 but all good things come to those who wait and i cant wait to carry on the adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVEIT, 12 Nov. 2013
I have to say i love this book.
I love all the series of this book and if you haven't read any of them then you should
they are a treat.
this review is simply to say - yes if you are thinking of reading them please do.
This last installment leaves you wanting more as there is no resolution from the last book - seems like a gap filler but it is advertised as part one.
So can't wait for the next one. wish they came out every few months.
Karen Chance - work harder!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, 13 Oct. 2013

My head is spinning a bit, I can't help think that somewhere in this well written action is a story but I seem to miss it due to the epic pace at which events unfold. So what did just happen?

Urrrm Cassie kind of does what she was predictably going to do at the end of Hunt the Moon - which I also felt a bit exhausted by.
Great to see Caleb step to the fore but the Pritkin hole did need plugging. I wish
Cassanova would vanish perhaps now that Rian has gone he will too. Mircea was absent,
perhaps this character has reached its zenith because he was similarily written in the Dory series.

The witches seem interesting, a good bit of story as does the Pythian court. Exploring
Cassies powers would also be interesting, what
happens if she drains a demon? Perhaps we
will find out soon and in the next book we may
be able to pause for breath and actually get a
grip on what is actually afoot.

It was enjoyable, but left me wanting, which is not good given the wait and anticipation. Perhaps Karens energy was all poured into Furys Kiss which was great - but sad given that this is the better series overall.

I love Pritkin however :)

2.0 out of 5 stars More Chaise Scenes....yawn!, 22 Aug. 2014
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
Chaotic is how I would describe this book. When is Cassie Palmer going to actually stop winging it and start actually achieve anything? These books seemed so promising to start with, but I am actually getting very fed up with the constant chaise scenes and the cliff hangers. The only thing that seems clear about these books is that this poor girl has no clue as to what she can do, no clue as to who she can trust and everyone seems to want her dead, or are trying to use her for their own gain. Come on Karen Chance, throw us a bone, please stop writing the massive chaise scenes and get with the story, start giving this poor character a break, as her development is literally eaking along at the slowest pace. I really now have no clue what this character is trying to achieve anymore. A very disappointing and expensive read and am seriously considering giving up on this series, as I actually took a break half way through this book and read a couple of others just to stop dropping off on the train.

Tempt the Stars (Cassie Palmer Novels)
Tempt the Stars (Cassie Palmer Novels) by Karen Chance (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Oct. 2013)