4.0 out of 5 stars I love anthologies
Rachel Caine (author) Shannon K. Butcher (author) Rob Thurman (author) Faith Hunter (author) Chris Marie Green (author) Chloe Neill (author) Lucienne Diver (author) Kalayna Price (author) Christina Henry (author)

I love anthologies. Really love them. What a great way to learn about new authors, and pick up shorts by authors we love?

In Kicking It I...
Published 7 months ago by So, I Read This Book Today

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I have to disagree with the reviewers who've loved this book.

As it had several of my favourite authors I was happy to pay the highest price I've yet had to pay for a kindle book. I wish I'd saved my money: I found almost every one of the stories to be shallow and unsatisfactory.

Although all are well written, none of them managed to engage me, and I...
Published 10 months ago by ImReallyAnElf

4.0 out of 5 stars I love anthologies, 13 Sept. 2014

In Kicking It I got to enjoy some old favorites, but I also got to read some authors I wasn’t aware of, or whose stories I haven’t had a chance to enjoy. All the stories have footwear as the main theme – and what woman doesn’t love shoes? Well, I normally only wear an ancient pair of crocs, so I should probably say most women love shoes . . . but then, I do like looking at them, so I suppose that counts?

Rachel Caine is first up with Forked Tongues: A Holly and Andrew Story. It starts with one of my favorite opening lines: It wasn’t the first time I’d woken up to a cross burning on my front lawn, but it was definitely not my favorite time, either.

Holly and Andrew don’t exactly have it easy since Resurrection Witches are now verboten, and the testimony of the dead is no longer accepted in court. Given the superstitious and sanctimonious attacks on them, and other resurrection witches, it isn’t surprising when the burning cross leads to the body of a murdered friend.

Shannon K. Butcher is next up with Stolen Goods. Marcus Brighton has a problem. He needs something stolen, something he believes only Simone Solange can steal for him. In order to attract Simone’s attention, his offer must be impressive. Impressive enough to attract the attention of the world’s greatest thief. A thief who has already stolen from him once before… and is strong enough to face off against the Fractogasts – the monsters that murdered her husband and his loved ones as well. Filled with action, Simone is a kick-ass heroine with a quirky, feminine mien that makes her one of my favorite heroines in the anthology.

The Girl With No Name was my first introduction to Chris Marie Green. What a scary way to wake up – in a motel room bed, (though fully dressed, thank goodness for small miracles), and wearing a pair of boots made of vines. Oh, and with no idea of who you are… And those freakin’ boots won’t come off.

OK, it’s set in New Orleans, so it already has a foot up on my “gotta read” meter. And what happens is both painful – and hopeful.

The Devil’s Left Boot by Faith Hunter is set in the world of Jane Yellowrock, but focuses on The Seven Sassy Sisters – after the betrayal of the their older sister in the most vile, psychotic, demon-drunk manner possible. And now, son of a witch on a switch, an old enemy comes to them for help, bearing a kid goat and wearing a kickin’ pair of Manolo boots. The blood magic is back, and the girls need Jane once more, even though they still blame her for the death of their evil, blood magic using sister Evangaline. A great story, though I have pretty much given up on where Hunter is going with the Yellowrock series.

High Stakes: A Luc and Lindsey Story. I haven’t really read any Chloe Neill before, so this was interesting to me. Lindsey is a veteran guard for Cardogan House, home of nearly ninety vampires. And when you are an empathy, its hard keeping all that vampire angst out of your head. But being a guard doesn’t keep her from struttin’ her stuff in fancy manicures and clothes. And Luc, her boss, just brought her ‘the sexiest pair of boots she has ever seen.’ So, un-life is good. Well, until her great-great-great niece Rachel shows up at her door with a message from an old acquaintance. An acquaintance who is threatening Rachel’s life in order to draw Lindsey back to New York, back to a fate she thought long past. The same fate as her friends who were slaughtered back in the days of bathtub gin and speakeasies. Will Lindsey throw everything away? Her unlife, her love for Luc, who loves her so very much, and her happiness? And what from her past could possibly be calling out to her after all these years?

Another author to add to my list. I’m more of a ‘furry’ lover than a ‘bitey’ lover, but I will read more of her works.

The Parlor is by an author I hadn’t even heard of before, Lucienne Diver. I looked her up – she is the author of the Latter-Day Olympians series, which apparently follows the Rick Riordan school of ‘Olympian’s kids.’ In The Parlor we meet our heroine in a “Hooters-meets-space-brothel’ getup, complete with three-and-a-half inch Plexiglass stiletto heeled boots as she prepares to play waitress in order to get photos of her client’s “cheating-rat-bastard” husband cuddled up to a hussy. What a PI does to pay off the damage done by a singing fish possessed by Poseidon . . . sigh. But she is in for more than she thought when she walks in to The Parlor. At least she is a precog. But what is she sensing, creeping about the room?

Red Isn’t Really My Color by Christina Henry takes place between Black Night and Black Howl in her Black Wings Series. To be honest, the series has been on my list for quite some time, and I have now moved it up in order to start from the beginning. As the blurb for Black Wings, the first in the series, says, As an Agent of Death, Madeline Black is responsible for escorting the souls of the dearly departed to the afterlife. It’s a 24/7 job with a lousy benefits package. That is what drew me to the series in the first place. So, as this is a “middling” book, I skipped this one until I can start the series correctly.

Rob Thurman’s Snakeskin is set ten-years before the much loved Trickster series and in the same world, and introduces some of the secondary characters. What a treat! A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on it’s shoes. And a brilliant liar just stepped through the door – and her shoes? Oh, my. Trixa Iktomi has a new job now. And isn’t that grand?

Yep. Definitely moving to the top of my “my personal reading” reading list.

The final story in this anthology is Ruby Red: A Darque Files Story by Kalayna Price. Set in the Alex Craft universe, Briar and Derrick have a new job. To find the witch who is creating an unknown contagion – a contagion that causes it’s victims to move from healthy to comatose within twelve hours. So much for their promised vacation…

4.0 out of 5 stars Little gem!, 2 Mar. 2014
Well this is a fabulous opportunity to sample the collected talents of some of the best authors of urban fantasy around today. This little gem contains short stories by best selling authors that are a delight to read. These tales whilst by nature short pack a punch. Each one is filled with madness and mayhem done in a kick ass style by heroines who take girl power to the extreme! A collection of supernatural stories with the women large and in charge! From witches to demons, from Gods to shoe obsessed vampires this book is chock full of delights. A great way to catch up with some of the established authors published works but also a chance to sample new ones. Most of the authors included are not new to me but I found it an excellent way to try work by one or two that had so far eluded my Kindle. I think what delighted me most was being able to read about characters that usually take a back role in some of the popular series . If you think the dark is scary then you really need these feisty females on your side! One thing is certain though if you read this you will be thoroughly entertained.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great anthology, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Kicking It : All New Tales of Murder, Magic and Manolos (Paperback)
For an anthology this was brilliant. I bought it as I was waiting particularly on the shorts from Faith Hunter, Chloe Neill and Kalayna Price. I was not disappointed, they were all 3 part of the authors long running series but a the same time stand alone. Very enjoyable and just these 3 made the book worth buying. I did read all the others and enjoyed them too, I might have to buy a few of their books. In particular I enjoyed Christina Henry's short, I might have to start her Madeline Black series. Also a stand out story was Shannon Butcher's. In all a great buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 Jun. 2014
I have to disagree with the reviewers who've loved this book.

Although all are well written, none of them managed to engage me, and I disliked the fact that the endings seemed to be tacked on rather than reaching a decent conclusion. The best of the bunch was Chloe Neill’s Lindsey & Luc (from Cadogan House) mini story, which I did quite enjoy.

Not a total turkey of a book, but a big disappointment when you know how much better several of the authors can do. I wouldn't go looking for more books by any of the writers if I didn't already know how much better some of them can do.

Kicking It : All New Tales of Murder, Magic and Manolos
Kicking It : All New Tales of Murder, Magic and Manolos by Faith Hunter (Paperback - 2 Jan. 2014)