1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Breathtaking, 16 Feb 2013
C. Halford "Rookie Romance" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
I'd been eagerly anticipating The Dark Lady, Maire Claremont's debut novel, for some time. And I was not disapppointed.
This isn't like the majority of other romance novels, and I loved the fresh take on the genre. The book starts with our heroine, Eva, locked in a horrific mental asylum on the Yorkshire Moors- abused, addicted to laudanum and drowning in her grief, Eva has a lot to overcome. Enter our hero, Ian, already tortured with guilt, as he sets out to save Eva.

From the beginning I was drawn into the story, reading well into the night when I really couldn't afford the lack of sleep! The scenes at the asylum were horrible but so well written that you absolutely had to read to find out what happened. It's at the beginning that we're introduced to Eva and her friend Mary. When Mary sacrifices her freedom to allow Eva and Ian's escape, your heart just calls out to her- I can't wait to read her story in book 2!
Throughout the story Eva and Ian are battling not just outside forces set on destroying them, but internal ones too. Eva has to face her addiction and come to terms with the grief and guilt she suffers over her son's death. Ian too suffers from almost overwhelming feelings of guilt. Eva is a strong woman, and her determination is so admirable. Ian is very honourable, but he has demons of his own to battle. Together they help heal each other, and prove Eva's sanity to London.
The whole of this book is so richly described and written that you're completely immersed and urging the characters to find their happy ending. It was seriously hard to contain the tears when I was reading on the train!

The end of this book is so uplifting and heartwarming. After everything Ian and Eva go through, they definitely deserve their happy ever after. And now I'm impatiently awaiting book 2 for Mary to get her happy ending too!

ARRAY(0xa77fa7ec)

The Dark Lady (Mad Passions Novels)
The Dark Lady (Mad Passions Novels) by Maire Claremont (Mass Market Paperback - 16 Jan 2013)
Used & New from: 0.01