5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Escapism

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreadfully written - but rather intriguing
Published 2 months ago by C. Cooper

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreadfully written - but rather intriguing, 24 May 2014
C. Cooper (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live and Let Drood (Secret Histories (Roc)) (Mass Market Paperback)
You know, I did finish this book, as the world was quite intriguing and very imaginative. But honestly, the writing was just awful - full of the most unsubtle 'info-dumps' - I found myself wondering if it was a deliberate pastiche of a particular writing style, or perhaps a first novel. For instance, the female protagonist, Molly, talking to the male protagonist, Eddie, actually refers to 'my sisters, Lucy and Isabella'. Given that they've known each other for a long while, it's obvious that the writer is info-dumping this information for the reader's benefit - just a little unsubtle. I've read some of the Nightside books and thought they were much better written. I'm puzzled - has Mr Green's writing actually regressed, or am I missing something? I may try some more from this series, but I do hope the writing improves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Escapism, 27 Oct 2013
As an English teacher, I probably should not be reading Simon Green's books, as literature they are not. However, they are great fun, being pacy and written in a lively first-person narrative. This is one of a series of books (best, but not essential, to read them in order). I started accidentally with second one and have since bought most of them. Escapist fantasy at its liveliest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simon R Green rocks, 1 Jun 2013
P. A. Brandon (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
Latest instalment of the Secret Histories set and once again Mr Green fails to disappoint.

This sees Eddie finding his family home destroyed and the family all "apparently" dead - won't say anymore for fear of ruining the actual storyline.

Let's just say it's full of Simon's usual break neck pace, fights, blood and guts, etc...

Already ordered the next one...

5.0 out of 5 stars THE MASTER, 22 July 2013
It should be compulsery for every Sci-Fi and Fantasy Fan to read everything written by Simon R Green.
Buy them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read - but predictable, 21 May 2013
I love the author's writing style and this one was no exception - very hard to put down and as always I was sorry when I finished it.

Live and Let Drood (Secret Histories (Roc))
Live and Let Drood (Secret Histories (Roc)) by Simon R Green (Mass Market Paperback - 4 Jun 2013)
4.71