1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars NO DO-OVERS IN THE REAL WORLD, 6 Feb 2013
Red Rock Bookworm (St. George Utah USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Here I Go Again (Hardcover)
HERE I GO AGAIN is in reality just a rehash of the "Back to the Future" theme with a bit of 13 Going on 30 merged with the theory of the butterfly effect. The story is built on the fantasy/daydream that each one of us has entertained at some point in our lives; how different our lives would be if we could just go back in time and "tweak" some of the events and decisions made by that younger version of ourselves.

In author Jen Lancaster's case she has committed her fantasy to the printed pages of her latest novel HERE I GO AGAIN. Within those pages we are introduced Lissy Ryder, one of those high school mean girls that most readers will just love to hate. The problem with Lissy is that she has never managed to expunge her inner mean girl and therefore has not improved with age, Now 37, she remains so self-absorbed and oblivious to the needs and feelings of others that you never do really warm up to her.

Her mostly unwelcome presence at her high school reunion marks the beginning of a trip back in time that leaves the reader wondering if this woman will ever be able to see beyond her own interests and just how will her "changes for the better" effect the lives of those around her.

Admittedly , the high-jinks of her high school "frienemy" Deva are amusing in a perverse sort of way and one can almost understand why Lissy is the way she is when her controlling, social climbing mother makes an appearance.

This book definitely keeps the reader engaged. If there is a lesson to be realized from the saga of Lissy Ryder it's that even if our own lives are not picture perfect there are no "do-over's and second chances" in the real world so you'd better do your best to be a decent human being the first time around because there is a chance that karma does exist.

Here I Go Again
Here I Go Again by Jen Lancaster (Paperback - 7 Jan 2014)