4.0 out of 5 stars A goood read
Julie Garwood is a fantastic writer who throws in a good mix of laughter and romance in her action stories.
Published 8 months ago by Mena

3.0 out of 5 stars Unmemorable
I've read Julie Garwood's books over many years and have found many of them to be very enjoyable but others to have missed the mark. Unfortunately "Sweet Talk" didn't really work for this reader either, but it's hard to put my finger on why.

Published 21 months ago by Helen Hancox

3.0 out of 5 stars Unmemorable, 4 Oct 2012
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sweet Talk (Hardcover)

Perhaps it's the feeling I had throughout the book that it wasn't very realistic. Our heroine, Olivia MacKenzie, works for the IRS and is on the trail of the perpetrator of a Ponzi scheme and plans to bring him down; the problem is that he's her father. It is hard to feel full sympathy for a women who seems to be so ruthlessly gunning for her parent. Yes, he's done wrong but you would have felt that conflict-of-interest suggests that somebody does that work. And his credulous family around him were rather unbelievable.

Be that as it may, when Olivia is endangered by stumbling into the middle of an FBI sting operation, the unfortunately-named Grayson Kincaid joins forces with her to protect her and to fight corruption. But, of course, put two attractive people together and you're bound to get a romance, which indeed we did, even though Grayson isn't really the sort of chap she's after.

The problem for me with this book is that the work-related situations seemed contrived/unlikely and I also found myself not caring overmuch about either of the main characters who were too perfect for their own good. The plot was fairly mediocre and there was nothing memorable about this book at all - in fact, having waited a month to write the review it's been quite difficult to remember what it was actually about!

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book Helen Hancox 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Sep 2013
1.5*

I was really disappointed by this book and the rating I gave it reflected this.

The cover and the blurb was so promising and yet it failed to live up to its promise in every way. 'Suspense' there was hardly any. Yes, there was the plot that could have supplied the suspense but it was poorly executed and poorly written.

The romance was awful, truly awful. How can two characters in a romance novel have zero romantic tension.

And the writing itself was poor. The dialogue was cringeworthy and the narrative could well have been written by a teenager just starting to try her hand at writing.

Quite frankly, Ms Garwood didn't create characters that you care about and gives you no emotional attachment to them. I just didn't care if Grayson/Olivia got their happy ever after which is practically unheard of.

I am bemused at the high ratings that other reviewers have given this book. Trust me, there are an infinite number of better written books in this genre to spend your time on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 7 Aug 2012
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sweet Talk (Hardcover)
*I was provided with a copy of this book in exchange for a review*

Before I start I should point out that so far this book seems to be getting good reviews. There are a lot of people who seemed to love this so maybe this book was just not for me because I didn't love this book at all. I think this book is an `it's not you, it's me' situation.

The problem I had with this book is that I found it really, really boring. I didn't like the plot and couldn't get into it at all. The romance wasn't much better there was no real build up and I felt sex happened too quickly. Because I found it boring I also couldn't connect with the characters. Olivia was ok but one minute she was saying she wasn't going to go near Grayson because he kissed then ditched her, and the next second she was falling into bed with him. I just couldn't connect with Grayson at all.

This book and I clearly didn't get on. Normally I like books like this so maybe I just didn't read this book at the right time, or maybe it was just never meant to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars A goood read, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sweet Talk (Mass Market Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars another good one from garwood, 11 Nov 2012
Z. Dillon (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Talk (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book. It has a good fast paced storyline that keeps you entertained. Not her best work but up there. I liked the characters and it was easy to read

Sweet Talk
Sweet Talk by Julie Garwood (Mass Market Paperback - 8 July 2013)
4.68