5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading
I love these books. Though a far cry from Anne Rices version of vampires, there are elements of the story telling that are just as compelling.
Published 18 months ago by S. J. Myers

Published 18 months ago by Malenatango

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading, 23 Aug. 2013
Chloe Neill has a way of drawing you in so that you fully empathise with the characters. I spent my time feeling like I didn't want to read anymore when certain elements of the story line seem insurmountable. But again, unable to stop myself.
The dialogue between characters is witty, clever, sometimes pure bitchiness, and often laugh out loud funny.
Every book has left me dying for the next one. So I highly recommend that you follow Merit on her journey, in this latest instalment. As always the magic is tangible.

2.0 out of 5 stars Trying to find the point to this lackluster installment but it's not happening, 3 Sept. 2013
I'm thinking this is likely the last installment of the Chicago Vampires series that I buy. The last couple have been 3 stars for me and I keep waiting for the quality of the writing to improve but with BB it actually got worse. The plot is ludicrous - there's no real mystery and the endless discussions of who is causing the riots in Chicago gets old in about 50 pages (generous). There's no real drama, no real conflict and no real character development. The relationships feel contrived, the dialogue seems rushed an unedited. Really, what happened to the cool characters of the first 3 books? Mallory is pathetic, Ethan has zero charisma and Merit gets beaten up by regular human thugs. I'm not sure I have it in me to endure another one like this... What a shame. Maybe Ms Neill ought to considering releasing one installment a year rather than two...

4.0 out of 5 stars Chicagoland Vampires book 8, 22 Nov. 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Just when the Cadogan vampires get one run in with the GP out of the way things in Chicago start to heat up thanks to a new anti-vampire group that has sprung up out of nowhere. The group are trying to spread fear amongst the human population by causing riots but they are also using the mass hysteria as a cover for the attacks they have planned on important vampire resources in the city. They start with the Blood4You factory but quickly moving on to target Grey House leaving the vampire population facing both food and housing shortages. The GP aren't done with their threats either and rather than focus on helping the vampires from Grey House they're too busy trying to make life difficult for Ethan. Cadogan House may have walked away from the GP but they would never leave Chicago vampires unprotected and willingly open their doors to the homeless Grey House members but that only causes even more friction. It's up to Merit and her Red Guard partner Jonah to figure out who is behind the attacks before the situation escalates and puts even more lives at risk but can they resolve things without more bloodshed?

I love this series and I'm really pleased to see how far Merit and Ethan have come since the first book. Their relationship has had plenty of ups and downs but we finally seem to be at a point where they are able to trust in each other and talk through their problems rather than bicker and fight with each other. As much as I enjoyed the push and pull of their earlier interactions it now feels like they're a steady couple and it's easy to believe that they'll make it for the long haul. They still have fantastic chemistry and Merit isn't afraid to speak up when she thinks Ethan is in the wrong but he respects her for that and knows she will always do her best for Cadogan House. Merit has been through so much since the first book and I've loved seeing her grow into a kick ass warrior, I have to say I like the fact that even though she is strong she isn't invulnerable though. She does make mistakes and she can be hurt so she needs to know that the other guards have her back.

I was happy to see that Jonah has started to move on from his crush on Merit, as much as I loved his character I was worried for a while that there might be a love triangle thrown into the mix and I'm glad that this isn't the case. I'm also pleased to see that Mallory has continued to make amends to both Merit and Catcher for her previous actions. It'll take a long time before any of them fully trust her again but she's making steps in the right direction which is good news for everyone concerned. She still has the potential to go off the rails but I'm hoping she's put the worst of it behind her now and is ready to move onto a more positive phase of her life.

There is a lot going on in Biting Bad and I really enjoyed the investigation into the riots and the attacks on the Chicago vampires. While there is plenty of action I think this story was probably a little more focused on Merit and Ethan's relationship and there is a lot of set up going on for future books in the series which makes this seem a little slower paced at times. I don't mean that in a bad way though and there is still plenty of the humour that I expect from these stories. After that cliffhanger ending I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how things play out in the next book too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Becoming formulaic, 16 Oct. 2013
I have enjoyed this series of books immensely and can well understand fans wanting more. However, I do wonder if Chloe Neill is sacrificing dram, pace and tension for volume. The gap between this book and the last has been relatively short and to me, it reads as if Chloe only had a small number of ideas before committing pen to paper. Fun, relatively enjoyable but lacking the punch and humour of earlier volumes

4.0 out of 5 stars carrying on the political line, but a good read, 30 Sept. 2013
Ok, so i whooshed through this book, which is no surprise! as always a total page turner. i tried to put it down and picked it up to finish a chapter and ended up finishing the book instead!

This one picks up pretty much where the last book left, so this was a very political orientated book.

Beginning with riots that have no rhyme or reason to it until the last few pages, dealing with the new title of "rogue" vamps after being removed from the GP, Mallory is making a slow recovery and we see more of her in this book, which is nice to see. Merit and Mallory's friendship is still on shaky ground, but it seems to be slowly mending which is nice!

The rioters targeted Grey House leaving them homeless and Cadogan House opens it doors to allow them somewhere safe to stay....but what punishment would either house get for Grey consorting with a blacklisted house? The GP turn up to try and bully their way around.

Merit and Ethan seems to be getting to be a better and nice romance. I miss the tension of the "will they-wont they" but its not to say that their relationship is pushed at you, its now more of a background story now.

As always a good old cliffhanger at the end, which was totally unexpected and leaves me itching to get into the next book which is due out in February 2014 (waaaaah!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Chloe rocks, 27 Sept. 2013
Thank you, thank you Ms Neill. How I adore your characters, strong powerful women who kick arse! More please SOON!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another hit, 4 Sept. 2013
S. REID "Highland Warrior" (Falkirk,Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent if a little sparse on some of the action we have got used to. Still worth adding to the collection if your a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good easy read., 2 Sept. 2013
Great as usual. Ethan and Merit are having their normal adventures and saving Chicargo.
I read this in days on holiday, light and easy going with good humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! Keep them coming., 23 Aug. 2013
These books have been fantastic right from the very start. I hope there are many more to come - Absolutely glued!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent continuation of series, 3 Dec. 2013
If you have enjoyed the series so far this book will not disappoint.
The only thing missing was Catcher's snarkiness.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Biting Bad (Chicagoland Vampires Novels)
Biting Bad (Chicagoland Vampires Novels) by Chloe Neill (Paperback - 6 Aug. 2013)