Supervolcano: All Fall Down
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:£5.88+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 9 February 2013
I love Harry Turtledove books. Yup, Yellowstone has blown it's top and almost destroyed the US. The characters are surviving. That about sums it up for me, because for the first time I found one of his books to be a bit pedestrian. I suppose it might be because it is about survival, but I did expect a bit more excitement, and I thought there might be more happening. The post Yellowstone US has adapted too quickly to the new conditions and I would like to see more surprises in the follow up.

There were a few twists which maintained my interest, but revealing them would be a spoiler.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have enjoyed all or Harry Turtledoves "history" novels but these two about the super volcano are such a let down. I would almost suspect they were ghost written. Same group of characters in both novels with lots of talking but while the world disintegrates around them there is little description of the passing events, It's as if the disaster is not really part of their lives. What makes this so disappointing is that his earlier series were well written, with lots of action on a grand scale. These are sadly pale imitations. I hate to write a poor review of a writer I admire so much but this book was sadly disappointing.
on 19 April 2014
#2 in the Yellowstone eruption series and the disaster still seems to be having little impact.
Vanessa, Colin's daughter buys a used Toyota to get home to California and manages to have it's tank filled for about $100.
That works out to some $10 or $12 per gallon in devalued currency, which I would not consider prohibitively expensive.
L.A is suffering brownouts and gasoline shortages, but given Alaskan and California's own oil production and the fact that most of the West Coast's electricity is from H.E.P and nuclear I feel that improbable. Gas, oil and coal would still be available from Canada. The following book suggests greater disruption-we shall see.