Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 18 October 2012
I am a big fan of Lynn Viehl, but thought that she had decided to finish with the Lords of the Darkyn after Locksley's story. I was pleasantly surprised that she decided to write Korvel's story.

A previous reviewer, also a big fan of the author, commented that there seemed to be too much detail, particularly in the way that Simone fights. Whilst I do have a semi-medical background, I thought that the technicality actually enhanced the story, as it emphasised the level of training Simone received from her father. It was not a case of 'punch here, kick there'. It was a case of 'break this joint, or bone, to have this effect on your opponent'. Thus, the technicality emphasises how 'clinical' she is when it comes to fighting.

The story itself is fairly complex with a few twists. I had always thought that Korvel was a peasant, with a background a bit like Philippe of Navarre. It was quite sweet that he wants to take Simone to the lands that used to be owned by his family, and again, unlike a lot of American authors, Ms Viehl has done her research. Her mistake in the spelling of 'Hartfordshire' in a previous book has clearly been corrected.

The other part of the story that I really enjoyed was the role played by previous characters, Gabriel Seran and Nicola Jackson. Nick in particular has a soft spot for Korvel, and this takes the sting out of what could have been a messy ending. Their part in the story also gives a chance to develop their characters and relationships further. Nick's reaction to the loss of her 'Mickey Mouse ears' is really quite funny.

Overall, this is an excellent addition to the Darkyn series. It is clear that there are still a lot of characters from the original Lords of the Darkyn series whose stories could be explored, and I certainly hope Ms Viehl continues to do so.
on 19 December 2012
I have loved reading all of these books and this one had me from the first few pages. Love that Nick and Gabriel story is also continued in this one.

Bring on Nightbred.
on 9 December 2012
I'm really enjoying this series. It is as good as the others, and I can't wait for the next one to arrive!
on 5 April 2012
Now before there is any shoe throwing may I say that I'm a big fan of Lynn Viehl.

Lynn Viehl does seem to have a elegant quality to her writing but does she try too hard.....

One of my biggest pet peeves in books is when there are different language's like in this one they was in France, and while I understand the writer is trying to convey they are in France with people speaking french, I DON'T speak french and if I wanted to read French I would have brought the French version. The occasional 'oui' will do for me.

Also too descriptive on the wording, I don't need to know the actual name of the bone that was broken in the forearm like 'Ulna' I never even knew what that was until I looked it up, keep it simple please or it takes the enjoyment out of the reading.

It also seemed that this book left a lot of questions unanswered.

Like the shadow figure at the end??

Why go to all that trouble to get the scroll when you knew where to go in the first place..

Also why leave this object when you know what it can do.....