on 29 September 2012
This book opens with an idea similar to Hitchcock's "Rear Window" but in a very modern and updated way.
This is the first Linwood Barclay book that I have read but it will certainly not be the last. It is well written and in amongst the taut tension there is room for humour and poignancy, as you get to know the characters.
The main characters all have their faults, even our unusual heroes and I found it easy to sympathise with elder brother Ray in his dealings with his eccentric, worldly innocent yet engaging younger brother.
Think of all the clichés you have seen and heard about thrillers, such as "page turner", "unputdownable", "edge of your seat" etc and they all apply.
The twists come thick and fast. Some I had worked out but others were complete shocks including the one in the final few lines.
It's a terrific read, and I would heartily recommend it to anyone.
on 27 September 2012
I've just finished reading this book, my first Linwood Barclay and had no idea what I was letting myself in for. This book is highly addictive, brilliantly written and 100% unique in its content. If you like action thrillers, spy books or a great story where you really can't wait to read what happens next, this is your book.

The story is about a schizophrenic man who spends all his time on a website called Whirl 360 (a bit like a futuristic version of Google maps) that means he can walk the streets of America in a virtual sense without ever leaving his bedroom. Probably just as well, as he thinks he has been recruited by the CIA to remember the names of all the streets! One day he sees someone being murdered and the story picks you up and takes you from there...

The writing is fast paced and continually hooks you and the characters are so well written that I actually found myself feeling the way the main character does -a recluse with severe mental health issues who spends all his time on a computer, which is the complete opposite of myself.

The only thing I would say that lets this book down is that it does not come with a disclaimer on the front of the book to tell you that you will lose hours of your time reading this as it is impossible to not know what happens!!

If they ever bring this out as a movie, I will book my ticket in advance and will certainly be following up on the other Barclay novels I have missed to keep me going over the summer holidays.

10/10.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 September 2012
Linwood Barclay has come up with another barnstorming thriller focussing on Thomas Kilbride, a schizophrenic and lover of detail in the form of map-reading and memorising them. His sympathetic brother, Ray, understands Thomas's predicament. Using an advanced Google-type internet programme (whirl360), Thomas can negotiate the plans and layout of cities still in his armchair. His belief he is acting as a CIA agent enforces his delusion. Real or not? He is involved with 'seeing' murder and his involvement with characters, particularly brother Ray, who come and go add to the appeal of this novel. The pace of the action keeps the reader in a state of insecurity. That is, just when you feel you understand the situation, Barclay puts in a thumper of a change that disorients for a while until you catch up, and then another turner hits you.

Apart from the mental health issues, sensitively handled by the author, there is an influx of conspiracy allied to political intrigue. I thought his previous novel, 'Accident', was a pinnacle, but Linwood Barclay continues to scale new heights. Trust your eyes is right on the button. Highly charged and recommended.
on 6 October 2012
Trust Your Eyes is reminiscent of Hitchcock's classic "Rear Window", but Linwood Barclay drags the plot kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Thomas Kilbride doesn't get out much for a man in his mid-thirties. He spends all his waking hours browsing an online mapping program with the dedication of the true obsessive. The voices in his head make it very clear he's doing valuable work for the CIA and his regular conversations with former president Bill Clinton help.

Understandably, when he tells his elder brother Ray about something peculiar he's seen whilst taking a virtual stroll down a Manhattan street, Ray thinks it's just another aspect of his schizophrenia. Besides, Ray has enough on his plate trying to sort out their late father's estate and deciding how best to arrange his brother's future care.

Starting with these unlikely ingredients, Barclay slowly starts to add characters, complexity and pace to the recipe, throwing in a twist or two, a dash of romance, and a liberal seasoning of blackmail and murder. His dialogue is spot on and the way he describes Thomas's mental health issues and how his brother deals with them seemed, to me at least, very authentic.

An enjoyable thriller that kept me interested to the last page.
on 27 September 2012
This is the first book I've read by Linwood Barclay and I will certainly be reading another one!
The story starts off with Thomas Kilbride who has schizophrenia and spends his days memorizing city layouts all across the world using an internet map site - Whirl360. One day he comes across an image that he believes is a woman being murdered. Thomas and his brother, Ray, quickly get caught up in a situation which has them fighting for their lives. It's a fast paced thriller which has a number of themes running through it - politics, conspiracy, loss of a loved one and even the sensitive subject of mental health. There are a number of twists and turns which keep you guessing right to the end. In fact, without giving anything away, the ending itself leaves with you further `food for thought'.
A number of different characters come and go throughout the story and I really enjoyed the way that each one was important to the story - even if only in a small part. The main characters are easy to like and it was interesting to find out more about the relationship between the two brothers as the book went on. Each of the chapters are short and you always want to `read one more' before putting it down.
Overall this is a well written story which has a number of skilfully woven strands and I recommend it to both existing Linwood fans and those who have never read any of his work before.
on 24 September 2013
This is his worst book yet imo! I hate to be so negative, but it doesn't even read like a Linwood Barclay book, and I've read most of them. Totally different style for one thing. As a novelist myself, I am not impressed with the almost amateurish writing technique used... mixed tenses within chapters and scenes are a complete no no for me! Just couldn't get into it! This is a first for me with Barclay, who usually grabs me within the first chapter. My husband, also a fan of Linwood Barclay, is struggling with it now too, and 4 chapters in, says he can't get into it yet either. Hope this isn't a new style of his emerging... OR could this possibly be a much earlier book written long before he made it big time, and he thinks he can get away with it now he's popular?! The editing of this book is poor as well! Sorry to only be able to award this 2 stars.
on 6 October 2012
Having just completed this novel by Linwood Barclay I have to say I was very impressed not only with the storyline and characters but by the sub plots created in the story. The main characters in the book are brothers Thomas and Ray Kilbride.
Thomas is schizophrenic but has a very unusual hobby/obsession of exploring different cities via a website called Whirl360 and memorising the names of streets believing he is working for the CIA. Ray on the other hand is a successful illustrator. Thomas has lived with his father, who has unfortunately died in a tragic accident and Ray has returned home to attend the funeral and sort out all the arrangements.
I think Barclay has portrayed the relationship between the two brothers carefully and sensitively through the actions, reactions and dialogue between the pair. He has developed the characters well showing their emotions, vulnerability and frustrations throughout the story.
Other characters are not described in so much depth, apart from Nicole, who has had to come to terms with failure in the past and has developed her specific skills accordingly.
The beginning of the book I thought at first was rather disjointed as the author introduces the characters and sub - plots, but, once Thomas (who while on Whirl360) suspects that a woman has been murdered and persuades his brother Ray to investigate the image of a woman in question I feel the plot begins to flow. As each sub - plot develops then the first few chapters become apparent.
Barclay uses alternating chapters to switch between plots and develop each section of the plot to keep the reader hooked. With all the twists and turns in the story I found it hard to put down as I was kept intrigued and gripped by certain plots to find out what happened next but just when I thought I knew what had happened there was another twist. A compelling read.
on 27 September 2012
You cannot fault Linwood Barclay for taking you straight into the heart of a story and keeping you gripped.

Two brothers in their mid thirties, Ray and Thomas, are forced into spending time together when their father dies in a gardening accident. Ray, an illustrator, takes on the responsibility for his brother and his fathers will. Thomas has schizophrenia and from the age of seven has had a passion for map reading. Since Whirl360 was developed Thomas can now access all the cities across the globe from his computer and believing that in the future, when no paper maps are available and a global virus will wipe out the internet, he is on an obsessive mission to memorise every city street in the world.

When Thomas sees an image of a potential murder in an upper storey window in New York he feels that he should investigate. His brother Ray feels obliged to help but little do they know that it will start a chain of events that are out of their control.

Meanwhile, Howard Talliman, chief advisor to Morris Sawchuck - a rising politician - is trying to protect a secret that could cost him and Morris their hard won livelihoods. When he involves Leroy, a bodyguard and hit-man, Howard finds himself caught up in a murder that goes horribly wrong.....just how far is he prepared to go when his career is at stake?

Linwood Barclay delicately touches on the subject of schizophrenia and how it affects family relationships and gently introduces us to the full character of Thomas, whom you can't help but warm to when his brother tries to help him become more independent.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed Trust Your Eyes and couldn't put it down, for me, the ending was slightly far-fetched but overall another super read from Barclay.
on 1 October 2012
I have read all of Linwood's books and they just get better. You always think you know the end...but never do.... so grippng, read this in a day..had been waiting so long for it to come out, He just does so much research and every detail is mentioned.
on 9 October 2012
Yet another gripping novel, that fails to disappoint.
Having read previous Linwood Barclay novels I knew I was in for a mystery that would keep me hooked throughout.
Admittedly this book took a few pages to get into but I knew that if I persevered I would not regret it.
A quality this writer uses in all of his books including this one is that he writes it as if he is the character and I think that helps bring not only the story to life more but also the characters, which helped me empathise with them more.
I found this particular novel to be one of the writers more gripping tales compared to other books of his that I have read, and every time you thought you worked out the secret the writer would serve up a new twist in the plot which kept you on your toes, and guessing till the very end.
5 stars for this novel, and highly recommended to anyone who loves books they cannot put down!