4.0 out of 5 stars A Turning the Pages Review, 13 Feb. 2012
This review is from: If You Were Here (Hardcover)
You may also read my review here: [...]

From the very first page... check that - from the Author's notes, before the very first page, this book was off to a very good start. Having read Jen Lancaster's previous books (memoir style) I could hear her as the voice of Mia and it was hilarious. She was so 'real' that it made each and every step of the process (moving and renovation) so incredibly real that I could see not only Mia (Jen) in that position but also myself. I found that I was laughing out loud at each and every turn of events that Mia and Mac encountered.

Footnotes - normally when a book has footnotes, it is a sure thing that the book has too much detail... having to describe what you are talking about in a 'footnote' generally isn't a good thing. However, the over 100 footnotes in this book were so much fun... each and every one added a personal touch that not only added to the story but made it, once again, so real! The sarcastic comments were perfectly placed. Being a sarcastic person myself, I could actually imagine many of the thoughts myself.

With Mia being a 'Zombie' author, I thoroughly enjoyed all the digs that were taken at Stephenie Meyer (author of the famed Twilight series... aka - vampire). Being a fan of the Twilight series, I loved it! I can imagine Stephenie Meyer reading the book and giggling along with each jab that came her way (or at least I hope she did... see the author's note at the beginning of the book). I was sort of hoping that one of the comments on the book jacket would have been from her.

Overall, a fun, well thought out novel. Jen Lancaster has now officially made her mark in fiction-land and I hope that she is here to stay! Well done!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So True! and So Perfect when buying a house in any country!!!!, 22 Jun. 2011
This review is from: If You Were Here (Hardcover)
I am a fan of all Jen Lancasters book and this was by far her funniest yet! Jen's books just get better and better!
Her new book was something I completely related with as we just bought a new house in London ourselves and being from Chicago this hit home and so true!
If you are currently looking for a house to buy please read this book as it is funny and helps with the stress levels of finding that "dream home". I can't wait for her next book! But in the mean time everyone should run out and buy this book!!!!

If You Were Here
If You Were Here by Jen Lancaster (Paperback - 6 Mar. 2012)
Used & New from: £0.01