5.0 out of 5 stars At last someone speaking some sense!
Published on 20 Mar 2010 by mcah

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth its price
I was expecting great things from this book but as soon as I opened it, I found it so simple and boring that I sent it back. On each page you have the desciption of the activity (along with very basic instruction based on common sense) and a page for the child to make notes. So might as well buy a note book and re-create activities we use to do when we were children.
Published on 12 Feb 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars At last someone speaking some sense!, 20 Mar 2010
mcah "mcah" (Wimbledon) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Despite the title, this book is not about getting your children to take stupid risks. It is about allowing them to learn to handle risk and danger in a safe and responsible way and at an appropriate time for their maturity. It is a definitive backlash against all the modern overprotection of children promoted by lawyers, Health and Safety Departments and hyped up by the press.

Many of the activities are normal things that many many parents did as children and survived. The books premise is that it is safer to allow children to learn about risk in a controlled environment so that they can learn to assess it and make informed decisions, rather than wrapping them in bubble wrap and making them afraid of everything and hence incompetent and more likely to hurt themselves through inexperience.

It also, rightly points out the extent to which overprotecting stunts a sense of discovery and learning.
This is an absolute breath of fresh air.

Surprisingly, all parents I have met who have bought this are delighted. It seems to have 'given people permission' to allow their kids to do things that parents have been too afraid to allow them to do because they felt everyone would condemn them for it. Now they can finally breathe and say that yes, why shouldn't their kids wittle with a penknife like we all used to...as long as they are taught how. Of course they might cut themselves but so did we and the vast majority of us lived to tell the tale. Never mind the fact that learning that you survive cuts, bumps and bruises is also a valuable lesson.

Buy it. None of it is amazingly dangerous. There are careful prep recommendations and much of it is just plain old fashioned kids experimenting and discovering but in a controlled environment.
This book needs 30 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously Good, 4 Feb 2010
This book is naughty and fun. It makes the risks explicitly clear in a tongue-in-cheek manner. It begins with licking a 9V battery and continues in a similar vein, discussing the delights of standing on roofs, the challenge of undertaking routine activities with your finger and thumb superglued together and top tips for exploding a bottle in a freezer.

My 13-year old son thought this book was brilliant. My husband panicked. But not for long. After reading it through he declared that the "Diving into a dumpster" was forbidden and was relieved to see that smoking a cigarette was not featured.

Interestingly, the author self-published this book from scratch, demonstrating the "can-do" enterprising ethic from start to finish. I really enjoyed the style and presentation. My reason for not giving this book a 5 star rating is simply that I don't think some of the activities are particularly dangerous if you follow the guidance in the book. But this book would make a good present for a parent or a child over 9 years old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it!, 1 April 2013
This review is from: 50 Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do) (Paperback)
Brilliant book, full of good 'old fashioned' things for kids to do. From simple things like putting your hand out of a car window when its moving, to more 'dangerous' things like using sharp knives, and fun things like poisoning your friends!

full of the sort of things we used to do ourselves as kids, before we had electronic games to keep us safe indoors.... feed their minds!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book !, 5 Aug 2014
I love this book. As a parent myself now, I seem to forget how it is/was, to be a child. The adventure, the curiosity, the unknown. This book is a good reminder of the past for me ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great present for cautious parents, 16 Oct 2012
Ashley "Love books, not so good on the readin... (St Albans, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I absolutely love this book and what the author is trying to achieve, his tinker school fills me with hope for our protected/sheltered young. I recently bought this for my twin brothers on their first birthday. I know they won't do most of it for many many years but i really got it for my step-mum. To open her up to allowing her kids to have a bit more connection with the world and enjoyment with it especially in the current modern parenting 'worried' society.

We found a lot of simple things she hadn't done, even some I hadn't. We now as a family are picking things we want to do with my young siblings and I can really see what this book is about is good quality family time.

I truly can't wait to fill the journal part of the book and document my siblings growing up and picking up these important life skills.

and if you haven't go and lick a 9 volt battery!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 July 2014
Like it

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth its price, 12 Feb 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Danger kids-adults Danger,, 4 July 2011
This book is an interesting concept, especially to a generation of adults that were left to play outside for most of the day with little adult supervision. We tried most of these things. There are several exceptions... in looking through this before presenting it to anyone.

There should be more instruction in the warnings, for example in somersaulting, only a little sentence states about keeping your chin tucked in/down there is just a warning to start slowly and a statement how some schools do not allow this anymore, instead of teaching how to do it safely. The directions do say to tuck in your chin but not why.
Then there is the matter of battery licking, it makes me smile to think of the report that will be issued when the little one tells his teacher his parents or other adult has encouraged him to lick a battery to get a little shock......or that he was instructed to go out and play in a hailstorm or throw things from a moving car, dive in a dumpster or superglue their fingers together.

There is much that can be fun in here and can lead to an excellent adventure, but there is also much that is written in a questionable manner.

50 Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)
50 Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do) by Julie Spiegler (Paperback - 20 April 2011)