• Me

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 2 October 2011
This book had so much definition, and reading it you could really put yourself in the shoes of the singer as he braced his own personal fears and emotions in the quest to define himself as an individual, coming out as gay is not easy and in this precious account Ricky Martin details his struggles but most importantly his un conditional love he has for his two twin boys, the statement I am what i am has never meant so much, he emerged as a world star but still ever since coming out he has created a new fan base and made relationships with other fellow homosexuals, this book is sensational and all in all Ricky provides the reader with an insight into his life and he doesen't leave any stone un turned, A must read for all no matter what your sexuality is.
on 19 August 2012
After finishing this book (in one evening nonetheless, it's a pageturner) I thought, I really like Ricky Martin now. And I am not a fan of his music at all. But where Ricky as a musician fails (in my opinion!) to deliver, this book portrays him as a beautiful person. Loved reading it.
on 12 May 2013
Sincere and honest...I've read it as if I was talking w my best friend.Don't categorize him or don't judge him without knowing him,just read this.You won't regret it.
I am not particularly a fan of Ricky Martin's, although I have enjoyed his music. I've been watching him as a judge on The Voice Australia and it prompted me to read his autobiography to find out more about him. He genuinely seems to be the kind of person where what you see is what you get: a very warm, caring, accepting and loving man who cares about making the world a better place. After reading this book, I feel like more of a fan than I did before.

Having said that, it's not the kind of autobiography that I would recommend to someone who doesn't like Ricky. While there are some biographies, like Open: An Autobiography or It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life which are so well written or such interesting stories that they have broad appeal, this is one for the fans only. And even they may get frustrated by the lack of details about his life - I don't mean the absence of scandal, but just basic things like how he approaches his work, what he has done since Living La Vida Loca made him famous worldwide, what it's like to act in a soap opera etc. Instead there is a lot of repetition about his spiritual world view, his attempts to combat child trafficking and how he came to terms with his homosexuality.

I don't know if Ricky wrote the book himself or used a ghost writer, but I think he would have benefitted from working with a partner who challenged him to go deeper than the platitudes that he falls back on again and again.
on 15 September 2013
Very interesting and excellent well written. Very informative, without tiring the reader with details, it makes the reader to identify himself with Ricky and his difficulties and anxieties. A great thanks to Ricky for writing the book!
on 20 December 2013
It was good in parts, but it tended to go in different directions which were boring. Not worth tyhe purchase.
on 20 February 2016
Excellent book. Not so much on Ricky life more about his view on life but a very very good read.
on 20 May 2015
disappointed with this, not much insight into his later life and he go on a bit
on 16 November 2014
absolutely love it, thank you
on 24 August 2015