Seducing the Duchess (Signet Eclipse)
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:£4.50+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 26 January 2012
Over the last few years since first discovering Amazon I must have read literally 100s of historical romance novels - many of them extremely disappointing even by authors who could and have done so much better - and yet I have NEVER before written a review.

Today, however, whilst desperately looking for something new to read I happened to catch sight of the fact that this first very worthy effort by this author had been given a very paltry 2 stars by reviewers I felt a huge injustice had been done and quite driven to rectify this ridiculously low rating.

In my opinion "Seducing the Duchess" is a quite brilliant debut historical romance novel. I'm always seeking to discover those sadly increasingly elusive books which evoke that spine tingling feeling of ROMANCE and TRUE LOVE. You know - that feeling you had when you read "Jane Eyre" or "Pride and Prejudice" or watched "From Here to Eternity" for the very first time.

In my opinion this book does offer that and if you enjoy reading Laura Kinsale, Madeleine Hunter, Mary Balogh, Loretta Chase, Liz Caryle, Meredith Duran, Sherry Thomas, Carolyn Jewel etc, etc, then you should LOVE this book.

Sadly the genre is increasingly overwhelmed with drivel (I have spent a great deal of money on books that should NEVER have been published and time wondering what on Earth editors were thinking!) but this particular book and its author were a most delightful discovery and I for one will be anxiously awaiting all future books by this very talented new author who describes so well a love story which starts badly, continues even more rockily but ends very, very well indeed after some extremely persuasive wooing by the hero!
VINE VOICEon 19 June 2012
Like the reviewer who gave this five stars, I simply have to add my opinion after having read this excellent first novel by Ashley March. This is a complex and original story; so different from a lot of the formulaic historical romance on the market. I agree to a certain extent with the reviewer who gave just one star that the characters are hard to like at first, however I would argue that one soon realises that neither Charlotte nor Phillip are quite as they seem. Indeed, the charm of the story for me was in discovering how the pair of them came to be so unhappy and estranged and how they both learn to let down their masks; in reality they were both very appealing characters. So, I would recommend giving this book a chance as it is something out of the ordinary - it is likely to appeal to you if you are a fan of Meredith Duran, Elizabeth Hoyt, Liz Carlyle etc.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
In order to escape the pain of a disastrous marriage, Charlotte, Duchess of Rutherford, scandalises the ton with her wild ways. All she wants is for her husband to take note and give her the divorce she craves.

Philip, Duke of Rutherford, isn't unaware of Charlotte's debauched behaviour so he promises her a divorce in return for a favour of his own - she must teach him to be a better husband for another woman. Will they both begin to realise that they might not want to give each other up after all?

I love a good 'second chance at romance' story and the premise of this story really seemed to tick all the boxes for me. Unfortunately I was probably about 5 pages in before I began to have serious reservations about the story. Or, more accurately, the characters.

Philip has decided that he loves his wife despite marrying her for reasons other than love and not having spent much time in her company over the last few years. He wants her back and wants to atone for his sins so he is, in some ways, sympathetic. Charlotte on the other hand was just terrible. She was a shrew and instead of being strong she came across as a hard, unlikeable harridan who acted childishly and pathetically to get back at her husband. Her behaviour was atrocious and didn't endear me to her one bit.

Because of my dislike of the characters it was very hard to care about them or the things that they did. There were very few tender moments and the love scenes didn't interest me - possibly due to my lack of emotional involvement with the story overall.

To be honest, I found it really difficult to find the enthusiasm to finish this book. I even thought that the conclusion left it open to the couple falling out once again - but perhaps that's just me being cynical. I don't like giving books low ratings but I'm sorry to say I just can't recommend this book to you. 1 star and I'll be giving this author a miss from now on.
on 10 July 2011
A promising debut novel. The Duke of Rutherford is in love with his wife of 3 years. She is making a scandal of herself in society in order to force him to divorce her. He married her for revenge and informed her of that fact the morning after the wedding. Since then they have lived separate lives and he has kept a mistress. However, he has now realised he's made a big mistake and he wants a real marriage with Charlotte.

The characters are well drawn and and the historical setting is excellent. This author writes very well and there is a lot of originality in the dialogue and in the way the plot is developed. I have only given this 2 stars though because there was no real drama or plot development. The Duke tries to convince Charlotte that he really means it this time when he says he loves her. After his previous betrayal she finds it difficult to trust him again. I would have liked more drama and more balls and parties. I would also have liked a better explanation of how the duke came to fall in love with Charlotte. There was a bit too much of the H and h discussing their relationship while alone together. Not a keeper but I will order AM's next novel.