5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, spellbinding, and absolutely fabulous!
Published on 4 July 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I give this book one star only because of the following few good points: (1) Sax is extremely handsome and falls head over heals for "plain" Meg; (2) Sax has a soft heart and loves his pet who has a deformed mouth and employs servants who have physical or other problems.
Published on 17 Aug 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, spellbinding, and absolutely fabulous!, 4 July 1999
By A Customer
I love romance, but most of the novels out now a days are trashy and are all about copulation. Forbidden Magic was well done, and actually had a story. It was a woderful mix of magic, love and passion. Meg is a charming character full of life and spunk from her naughty undergarments to her shy demur way. I found Sax to be a marvlous character, with his temper and his love for stray unwanted animals. He is quite eccentric and just what I would want in a husband. Mrs. Beverly did a fabulous job on this story and I throughly recomend it. This was the first book I've read writen by Mrs. Beverly and you can be sure that it will not be the last!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I can think of nothing more that is positive about this story. When the characters finally have sex (I can't construe it as making love), it is accompanied by ridiculously inane conversation. With about 40 pages to go, I cared so little for the characters that I put the book down, will never finish it, and have not the slightest curiosity regarding its ending.
For beautiful stories with well-developed plots and characters, read the author's _The Shattered Rose_, _Dark Champion_, and _Lord of Midnight_.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much exposition, too little romance, 11 Jan 1999
By A Customer
As a huge fan of Jo Beverley's, I was quite disappointed in Forbidden Magic. Beverley has a tendency of late to spend too much time in one character's POV (in this case, Meg's) and too little in the other main character's. While I can appreciate Beverley's desire to make Sax something of a mystery, by the end of the book, I wasn't really sure why he fell so hard for Meg. And if Meg thought "I've got to get the sheelagh back" once, she thought it a hundred times. At one point I put the book down and said, "All right, Jo, I GET IT!" I was also disappointed that after building a great deal of sexual tension between Meg and Sax, there wasn't much of a payoff for the reader. I hope Beverley returns to form in her next Malloren novel and gives a better balance between hero and heroine POV.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh, what a hero!, 13 May 1999
By A Customer
I love Sax. Sax, if you ever drop by my place, come have a chocolate chip ice cream on me!

Having said that, I want to ask Sax what on earth he sees in that heroine. This woman seems to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown all the time. She's always worrying, panicking, and always keeping every problems she face to herself, because she fears Sax will be harmed by the villian. Gee.
This is the second Beverley I've read (the other "My Lady Notorious") which has heroines who recklessly keep dangerous secrets to herself because she doesn't want to hurt the ones she love, et cetera, and in doing so, makes everything worse and more tortured reading on my part. If this is the trend of this author's heroines, I'll pass. Never can stand them martyr-type people.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Forbidden Magic (Paperback)
I was a little disappointed with this book it was not up to Miss Beverleys usual standard but then it is an older book.I found the idea of a magical stone a bit difficult to believe which is probably why I didn't entirely enjoy the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Excitement and love, 3 Oct 2010
R. J. Mills (England) - See all my reviews
This was a very exciting book which was hard to put down. It had a happy ever after ending which is always satisfying. I would recommend this for a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and captivating read!, 10 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This book was such a good read. The characters are great. The story draws you in so much that it is hard to but the book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT!!!!, 28 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This book is perfect. No other word. The characters are original, simply original. The mystery is a page turner. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this in one day!, 13 Jan 1999
By A Customer
What a super book! I started it at breakfast, read it as often as I could during the day and finished it at midnight! Meg and Sax - what a great pair! The Romance was slow but tantalizing and sexy. The action was so fast paced I could hardly turn the pages fast enough! I really enjoyed this book - 3-dimensional characters that were sympathetically portrayed and the eccentric secondary characters were a perfect background. Bravo, Jo Beverley! I will check what else you've written. You're great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!Great!and Great, 18 Dec 1998
By A Customer
It was a very well written Xmas story, sad and serious at times, funny at times, lots of suspense and love. Just the way every book should be! The animals were an added bonus. I had the chance to see the sheelag-ma-gig statue on the web site, before I read the story. Good book, and I knew I was in for a real treat when the book would become available. It would be nice to read another historical romance soon. Thanks Jo.

Forbidden Magic
Forbidden Magic by Jo Beverley (Paperback - 1 Feb 2011)
8.78