Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Of course, when an author has a series that starts off great and spawns many books, you expect them to be a little same-ish as the series goes along, and with KM, I thought that she was going to be an exception to the rule, but this book (number 8, and not 5 as stated in the ad) IMHO wasn't quite up to the standards of the first 3 in the series. Yes, I enjoy them all, but the original trilogy is still the best and the funniest, and the last few have lacked some of the witty dialogue, extremely funny scenes and passion that were present in the former...

This one is apparently the much-awaited tale of Ben and Fran, who appeared in early novellas written as Katie Maxwell (just republished as Confessions Of Vampire Girlfriend), and yes, I can see that for fans, it would hit the spot - Fran was only 16 when she met Ben and was told that she was his Beloved, but she ran scared and for the last six years has been refusing to see or think of Ben, but has remained true to him. And him to her, so when they do finally come together, yes, it is special and romantic and pretty hot, as well as funny. But all the funny stuff seems to revolve around various body parts being exposed, not during sex, but in g-strings, posing pouches, shorts that gape open etc. etc., which got a little tedious after a while. But 'weasel gold' instead of Visa Gold did make me laugh.

Overall, I will still buy and read everything that the author does, and I cannot wait for her Light Dragons bk 2 to come out in May 2011, where she manages to make the villain from the Silver Dragons series, Baltic, into a hunky, root-for-him hero who finally gets his true love who had been lost to him centuries ago. But this one didn't quite match up for me. I expected more angst from Ben, who's supposed to be an Alpha male languishing without his Beloved, in danger of losing his humanity, but no, he let Fran make all the rules, he let her chuck him and when she decided she wanted him back, he let her have him back. Because he loved her and had done so for five long, lonely years. Yes, overall romantic, but he was a tad wet!
on 11 March 2011
Have loved Katie MacAlister since I first found her novels and can count on one hand those I didn't enjoy out of her VAST body of work. Sadly In the Company of Vampires is amongst that small number.

Having read and enjoyed the first two Ben & Fran books I would have expected to enjoy this book more than I did and I truth I couldn't tell you want was wrong with it beyond that it didn't grab me like MacAlisters books usually do. Normally I can't put them down this one I was loathed to pick up.