5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Monk Gets Downsized, 21 July 2009
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The city of San Francisco is hosting a conference for cops all across the country. As part of that, Captain Stottlemeyer and Monk have been asked to speak about their unique working relationship. But the panel is moderated by Paul Banning, a dirty cop that Stottlemeyer had forced out of the SFPD years before.

By the time the panel is over, Stottlemeyer looks like an idiot who relies on Monk for everything. So Natalie assumes it is payback when Monk finds out the next day that his consulting services have been terminated even though the official explanation is budget cuts. Monk is determined to continue helping out the department whether he gets paid or not. Natalie, on the other hand, is concerned about money. Will someone else hire Monk? What about the string of murders occurring in San Francisco?

This is a bit of a different Monk novel. Yes, there are murders and a mystery or two, but they don't really get rolling until the second half. Instead, we get some very important set up and conflict in the first half. I was wondering where it was all leading but was absolutely entertained along the way. Once the mysteries really kick in, things get even better.

The characters are as strong as ever. Natalie gets her own character arc here, and I really like how it evolved. The rest of the TV cast is strong as usual. What really stood out to me were several new characters created for this book. I really liked them and would love to see at least one of them show up again in future books.

Fans of the character on the screen or the page need not fear. This is Monk at his obsessive best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Monk book!, 29 April 2012
I enjoyed this one as much as the last. I really like these books because I am familiar with the characters from television and they are easy to read, so relaxing and entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Monk, 11 April 2010
Foggy Tewsday - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop (Mass Market Paperback)
When I first saw the title of this `Monk' novel, I thought our obsessive compulsive detective was going to be partnered with a cop with personal hygiene problems. My initial expectations were soon dashed, but this was a good thing because `Dirty Cop' is, in my opinion, the most accomplished `Monk' novel so far. I should add, though, that at the time of writing this review, I have not yet read the following novel, Mr. Monk in Trouble.

Monk's friend and assistant, Natalie Teeger, narrates us through the trials and tribulations of his fastidious life. In this instalment, the police department, beset with financial problems, has to dispense with Monk's services. Natalie fears that a life of grinding poverty beckons. Her worries are allayed when she and her boss are taken on by a private detective agency. Monk is soon putting his deductive powers to work and is solving the company's cases simply by reviewing the files. Natalie enjoys her fancy new company car and expense account, but it's not long before things turn sour when they hear that Captain Stottlemeyer has been arrested for murder.

The mystery elements are neatly handled and there are also plenty of laughs to be had. The main storyline is particularly satisfying and succeeds in taking Monk in a slightly unfamiliar direction - away from the police department - while keeping Stottlemeyer and Disher heavily involved in the story. Natalie's narration is laced with her usual wry humour and this novel's strong storyline makes for compelling reading.

Monk's idiosyncracies have on occasion gone a little over the top in the novels. This does not happen in `Dirty Cop'. For my money, this is the truest representation of the television show that Lee Goldberg has produced in novel form so far.

If you're a fan of the television show, you won't want to miss any of the novels. I'd recommend reading them in the correct order, though. `Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop' is my absolute favourite so far, with the excellent Mr. Monk in Outer Space a close second.

Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop
Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop by Lee Goldberg (Mass Market Paperback - 28 Jan 2010)
5.40