5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read!
This was a brilliant first book in the chosen ones series. Christina dodd grabbed my attention immediately and kept it right until the end. I couldn't put it down.

Published on 13 July 2010 by E. L. Joseph

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it !
I have to agree with the reviewer who said 'buy it second hand', although I'm going to go one step further and say 'don't buy it at all'.

Published on 17 May 2011 by Mrs. S. L. Doyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read!, 13 July 2010
E. L. Joseph (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm of Visions (Chosen Ones) (Mass Market Paperback)

This series is about the eternal battle between good and evil. Gifted individuals who are abandoned as children; those who are forces of good can become one of the Chosen and those who are taken by evil will become one of the Others. This first book centres around one woman who is one of the next 7 chosen but who is fighting her destiny because she wants independance and freedom.

I thought the characters were brilliant and the events of the first couple of chapters had me hooked. Jacqueline is the best female lead Ive read about for a while - she was likeable and very easy to relate to. She's not the weak and helpless female but not too insanely tough either. She had issues with her life but didn't come across as whiny as many others do. I found myself mirroring her emotions throughout the book and yet still understanding the opposite point of view from Caleb. Christina Dodd had me in the palm of her hand and I was really impressed with this book.

The plot was great too. There wasn't much fighting/action where the chosen ones were concerned which was actually what I was expecting given my impression of the book and the drama of their first meeting - it became more focussed on figuring out the traitor in their midst with almost everyone as a suspect. Despite my suspicions on who it was being correct I was still totally drawn in to the mystery and at the point in the book when all was revealed I was still surprised. This book finished on a high for the chosen but the actual ending of the book finished on a seemingly darker note and has made the next book impossible not to read.

Overall a brilliant read and potentially a great new series!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it !, 17 May 2011
Mrs. S. L. Doyle "Mums Taxi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm of Visions (Chosen Ones) (Mass Market Paperback)

If, like me, you enjoy a good series, then forget this one. I always try and give books a chance (they don't all have me hooked from the first few pages), but I will keep going, with my fingers crossed that the book will capture me within the pages and then I'm blissfully lost in the story. I bought all 4 of The Chosen Ones books, and am now finishing Chains of Ice. Having skipped at least 1 third of the book due to Samuel and Isabelle being trapped in an underground dungeon of a Castle up a mountain in France.

The books are about 7 chosen mortals, who have 'gifts'. From healing to mind control. Each book tells the story of one of the mortals and how they find true love which then escalates their gifts. They are supposedly fighting against Evil, against seven 'Others'. So basically, the Chosen are the good guys, and the Others are the baddies.

As mentioned I am finishing book four. I have yet to work out what the Others are about, what they're after, who they are, where they are and what they want. Four books in and I'm none the wiser.

This review will hopefully help any fans of Black Dagger Brotherhood, Dark Hunters etc talk themselves out of buying this series.
There is no real story to the book, or purpose for that matter.

I think my problem is due to Ward and Kennyon being such fantastic writers and giving us books that we don't want to put down or wait for the next in the series to be released. Each of their books are engrossing, and each book introduces us to what will happen in the next book. The Chosen Ones, are not any of these books.

Save your money, or if you haven't read Dark Hunters or Black Dagger Brotherhood then spend your money wisely and buy both the series. At least you won't be kicking yourselves for paying out for books that aren't worth the paper they're written on. Harsh, yes, but the truth.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the best - get it second hand if you must, 14 Jan 2011
Lemons (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm of Visions (Chosen Ones) (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm a big fan of paranormal / fantasy romance (JR Ward, Kresley Cole, Larissa Ione, etc to name a few) but I'm never normally compelled to write reviews, but this book, well let's just say that I've never actually rolled my eyes while reading a book until now.

The biggest problems are:
1) the world building is poor - and unfortunately a little too simliar to Jayne Ann Krentz's Arcane Society premise (chosen ones with paranormal powers working for secret societies). In a nutshell: all of the Chosen (good guys) were abandoned at birth but put with nice families so are good & fight for God, and all of the Others (bad guys) were abandoned at birth but didn't have nice families so are bad & fight for the Devil. [A summary of the story can be found on the amazon.com page - would have been helpful to have it on the amazon.co.uk page as well]

2) the characters are very one dimensional. I couldn't remember the female lead's name at first, I still can't remember the male lead's name, there's no justification for behaviour or growth and what there is just makes the characters sound unpleasant. Hero doesn't like Heroine very much but loves her (comes across as he loves her because her mother, whom he adores, told him to). There's no true exploration of the paranormal side - they have x, y or z (lack of substantial back stories in other characters) and I couldn't remember any of the names of the other "Chosen". They ticked the stereotype boxes though: hippie/wicca chick - check, cool immaculately dressed woman with issues - check, and so on. The dialogue is also just clunky - example: Baddie threatens Hero's mother and comes up with the insult "You Mother!"

I have read the first book in Christine Dodd's other series "Darkness Chosen", and while that is a much stronger book, I just simply wasn't blown away or even remotely interested in reading the next book in either of these series. There simply isn't any oomph to this book and it's a medicore read at best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chosen Ones: Storm of Visions, 30 April 2011
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Storm of Visions (Chosen Ones) (Mass Market Paperback)
I hadn't read any Christina Dodd books before I read this series and I probably won't read any of her non paranormal books simply because they aren't the books I usually read but I did like this series and the concept. The books are based on the idea that people are born with gifts and that these can either be used for good (Chosen) or used for bad (Others).
This is the first book in the series and tells how the current set of chosen came to be and also centres around the first couple in the series Jacqueline Vargha and Caleb D'Angelo. Jacqueline's mother is the current seer for the chosen and Jacqueline is to become one of the next set of chosen but she doesn't want to and has fled away from her mother and that life to try and have one on her own. Caleb is Jacqueline mother's bodyguard and has been sent to find her and bring her back. Lets just say the book wastes no time and there is a bathroom scene straight away with the two ex-lovers!
I did like the concept of these books and I will definitely be ordering the fifth book whenever it comes out.

Storm of Visions (Chosen Ones)
Storm of Visions (Chosen Ones) by Christina Dodd (Mass Market Paperback - 4 Aug 2009)