1 Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 19 April 2009
This review is from: Dakota (Paperback)
Do you like stories with realistic plots and characters? If so avoid this book (sorely tempted to call it a pile of tripe) at all costs.

Please don't get me wrong. I believe the topic of animal cruelty and how we get the food we take for granted is immensely important but my word, how the author expects to impart this important message with such a thoroughly unlikable main character is beyond me.

The main character in this book is a sociopath, she lies, steals, and hurts people (regardless of the situation), all the time believing she is justified. Repercussions do not exist for Andi Oliver or whoever she is and while that could be interesting if it were shown in a real world setting everybody in this book (excepting the villains) seems to think that the sun shines out of her rear end and that her sociopathic nature is simply spunky, youthful enthusiasm.

If on the other hand you would agree with the main characters idea that the meat industry is more abhorrent than the holocaust and that you can do whatever you like consequences free, as long as you're sassy, then you'll love this book.

NOTE my star rating for this would be minus 5. I only finished it as i'd received it as a gift and didn't want to insult my friend by not giving the book a fair go.

Dakota
Dakota by Martha Grimes (Paperback - 3 Feb. 2009)