Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 5 December 2005
Workaholic Amy Stewart is inveigled into playing a virtual reality pirate computer game by her teenaged daughter. The action is mostly played out in this “VR” world, where Amy becomes trapped. There’s lots of swash-buckling, swords, grog and ships, and the obligatory sexy-but-really-quite-sweet hero, Black Corbin, fiercest pirate to sail the seven seas (or to look at it another way, super wealthy computer game magnate who just happens to be single, not bad looking and a nice guy). There’s plenty of action and humour as Amy and Corbin must team up to find a way out of the VR world in which they’ve become trapped.
The description and humorous writing (Plenty of “Yarr, me hearties” -no clichés here then!) bring to mind the Lucas Arts computer game series “Monkey Island”, no bad thing in my opinion, and this was in general an enjoyable book. My only gripe is that there a couple of major continuity issues, and they only get more noticeable as you go “eh” and re-read the offending sections. This is something that should have been picked up by the editor, and it’s a real shame as nothing jolts you out of the story quicker than a problem like this. Shamelessly light and frothy, this would make a good beach read.
on 28 July 2008
I love Katie MacAlister's books, and this one didn't let me down. Amy was likeable and a fun charactor. I loved the idea of getting stuck in a virtual reality game, and could picture the world vividly. It kept my attention and read it quickly.

Maybe a bit too much cyber sex... but what the hey!

I loved the pirate setting mixed with fantasy, and as the author says at the end she did use some artistic license with her writing, but that certainly didn't bother me! As it is fiction, and all fantasy stories aren't based on reality.

I loved Corbin... I want one! I sort of pictured him a mix of Captain Jack Sparrow and Will Turner lol - and shame Holder was married... I would certainly jump into that world, pirates do it for me :)

Great fun, definately recommend this one to all.
on 17 April 2014
A one off story by this author, a bit different from her dragons etc. took a while to get to grips with storyline as I'm no gamer, but when the heroine, as always someone in her late 30's or 40's gets trapped in a internet web game and begins to live the life of the pirate community set in the Caribbeans. Fantasy yes but you get involved in the other players some real some computerised, lots of funny moments and passionate ones too plus the mystery of whose orchestrating this whole thing.
on 25 July 2014
I bought this as a replacement for my original copy of Blow Me Down. As a long time Puzzle Pirates player, I was thrilled to discover that there was a book loosely based on the game. Katie MacAlister is brilliant, and I fell in love with her writing style after reading this book.
on 14 October 2011
If only Katie's worlds were real !!! I LOVE Buckling Swashes. I didn't read it all in one go ~ because I try to make my books last ~ especially the good ones, and this is just wikkid. I just wish the game was real and I could go play in it!! Brilliant fun!
kc
on 14 June 2013
I was looking for some good pirate adventure through a kick ass woman. No. The blurb was misguiding and the whole situation became increasingly irritating and annoying so i just had to stop.
on 9 July 2015
not much plot, a short holiday read
on 4 January 2007
I thought this book was extremely disappointing. The blurb on the back sounded promising and the first few pages held my interest, but it all went downhill from there. Unconvincing and irritating.
on 29 October 2005
I've read most of Katie MacAlisters books and I love the Heroines she creates.
I got this book this morning and couldn't put it down until I finished it and it will be one I know I will re-read.