Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 24 February 2009
A friend and fellow 'MS'er' lent me this book, saying it was 'quite interesting'.

I read it very quickly. It is an easy read and I found myself quite absorbed with the bits I found interesting and easily skipping over those which I didn't.

I have to say, that despite desperately wanting to be able to highly recommend this book, I can't go that far. I admire Montel for facing his condition and publicly opening up his heart and putting this into the public domain. His experience of MS and mine aren't the same and I guess every person diagnosed with the condition will understand and expect this.

Montel acknowledges how difficult he must have been to live with while coming to terms with his diagnosis and symptoms, and I found this quite enlightening. He discusses his symptoms and depression in depth and seems to have explored every alternative and holistic treatment. His use of food supplements and vitamins seems excessive, although good luck to him in this respect.

Montel is dealing with MS within the constraints of the US healthcare system, and of course this differs quite considerably from our NHS healthcare here in the UK. He makes an enormous fuss about injecting himself once a day, a proceedure that myself and a lot of my friends have easily adapted to without a problem. This does make me wonder how much of a wimp he actually is when he talks about continuous pain (sorry Montel if you are reading this!).

My impression of Montel from his tv show (ok, it is rather vague not having been a regular viewer) was of a calm and sensible person. In the book he portrays a rather manic personality. Before his illness he obviously put a lot of energy into physical fitness and remains an extremely ambititious personality. He is inclined to rant about injustices that have happened to him and areas of strong belief, such as research into the use of cannabis in medicine.

All in all, hats off to you Montel. The world would be a very dull place without people who are prepared to stand up and be counted.
on 29 November 2009
I found this book enlightening and comforting. My brother was diagnosed with MS which came as a terrible shock to us all. Since then he's hardly spoken about it, and tried to carry on living a normal life with work and family. I didn't ask too many questions about it because he seemed to prefer not to bring the subject up in conversation. I came across Montel Williams book by chance on Utube, where he was sharing his experience with Oprah. I brought the book and found it helpful to myself in understanding more about MS, and I recognized similar behaviour patterns and symtoms. Plus I've always thought of Montel as an open minded person and trusted in his integrity. Recently I had the opportunity to introduce the book to my brother. Im not sure if he's read the book yet, but it opened up the pathway of communication between my brother and I to talk more freely about his condition and the treatment he's now seeking for the relief of his condition. I recommend this book for those who need to understand this mysterious disease, and Montel does this beautifully. Its true there are parts that one might choose to skip through. But I love my brother deeply, so anything that inspires hope for the future has got to be a good thing.
on 9 February 2016
Now I have to make sure that no one else in my family nicks this copy. As a fellow sufferer of MS I've really found books by Montel Williams to be an enjoyable read. Many thanks for this well preserved copy.
on 22 April 2013
Brought for my partner as an early Xmas present. She had been debating on buying it in town so I beat her to it from the comfort of my front room....
on 5 March 2015
A Very Good Read And I Would Recommend, Can Really Truly Relate To Montel Williams True Life Story.Because I am Battling The Same Illness My Self...
on 28 February 2015